Garmin 1490T Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of getting a Garmin 1490T with built-in Bluetooth since my GPS constantly ends up in the wife's car these days, and I want to get her some kind of Bluetooth lash-up too. Some of you may remember me asking about radio Bluetooth integration. I never did that since the cost was getting silly expensive.

I've had very good service from my current Garmin 755. It's not too quirky with routes, and we both can get through the interface quickly, with me asking her for help sometimes. That's why I'm looking to stick with a Garmin for her.

So, experiences or alternatives to look at?

I've got a couple 1450 LMT units; I'd recommend getting the lifetime map updates, as routes don't change that often but businesses/restaurants do. The updates come quarterly now.

Other than bluetooth the units are identical; questions welcome.

I got the lifetime maps on the current one. It's useful.

Reading online, the Bluetooth reviews are hit or miss. Some folks say it works very well, others say it doesn't work at all. It looks like the fancier the phone, the less likely it is to play nicely with the Garmin. Lucky for us we have simple phones.

I have the same unit. The lifetime map feature was what forced me to retire my old Garmin in that the whole unit with the lifetime map update was almost as much as updating my old one once. I have liked both of the Garmins that I have had, both have had very few quirks.

I imagine that the standalone GPS market will be drying up as both Android and iOS version 6 will have turn-by-turn navigation.

I purchased the 1490T last year as a replacement for my Nuvi 350, which still performs well (minus a button issue) for my fiance.

The first few things I noticed that nearly caused me to send it back were:

1. Batterly life: The 350, which will dim while not plugged in, will auto-dim to a very low level. When I wanted an update, I'd tap the screen and the backlight would energize for a little while before dimming again. I routinely got 5+ hrs of battery life.

The screen brightness for the 1490 has to be manually changed, so you have to hit the power button, tap the + or - button for the desired brightness, and then hit the power button again to return to the map screen. Even with the brightness at the lowest setting that still provided visibility, I was barely able to eek out 2 hrs.

2. The Beeps: There is no way to turn off the touch tones on the 1490. Every time you press a button, it beeps, and there's nothing you can do about it. I know there are people who like the audio feedback, because I still hear certain older cell users punching every key stroke into their flip phones, one loud BOOP at a time, but I don't like it.

3. The speaker isn't really very good, and it distorts when the volume is turned up.

The traffic, for me at least, has been counter-productive. In the year that I've owned it, it has not once predicted the traffic correctly. In the beginning, I actually trusted it and was sent from an area where there was light traffic to an area where there was very heavy traffic. The "traffic ahead" prompt will also come up every so often, and I'll notice that it wants me to exit, take some local roads that would add 20 minutes to my drive, then get back onto the same highway. I've learned to ignore the rerouting prompts.

Aside from that, the 5" screen is nice and the bluetooth works well. I haven't used it in months, but it did work well the last time I did.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I imagine that the standalone GPS market will be drying up as both Android and iOS version 6 will have turn-by-turn navigation.

We're not planning on getting smartphones soon. Thus the question.

gathermewool, thanks for the review!

No matter what iphones can (or will be able to) do, I will always use a stand-alone GPS unit. It's important for me to keep the phone for its main functions, and a stand alone has a bigger screen and more functions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
No matter what iphones can (or will be able to) do, I will always use a stand-alone GPS unit. It's important for me to keep the phone for its main functions, and a stand alone has a bigger screen and more functions.

I'm going to agree with this. I'm still one of the few Blackberry holdouts. So, while I do have a decent GPS feature that, when used in conjunction with Google Maps (free,) provides great directions while lost, walking in the city, it doesn't do very well while alone in my car. There are no voice prompts and the screen is too small to see very well.

Even though the 1490 isn't ideal, I got it on sale last year and won't be able to justify replacing it until it breaks or the Nuvi 350 my fiance is using breaks. The power button on hers IS getting a little screwy, so my wish may come true sooner than later! Yea right, I'm sure it'll work just well enough for another two years!

If I were looking for the best of the best, it would NOT be the 1490. However, if it were on sale for a good deal (like I think I saw it for on dealnews a couple of days ago,) I'd for sure choose it as a cheap option, so long as it came with lifetime maps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cbear
Google maps only work if you are in cell range. If you get in to the back country, you'll want a device with loaded maps.

Or a device that has GPS. Google Maps with cell tower triangulation only isn't always effective while walking, and not very good while driving unless you have perfect signal.

With poor signal, I've had Google Maps on my phone tell me I'm north and to the east, in a whole other city! With great signal, it can still be more than a block off. With GPS turned on, it's pretty darned accurate and very handy while walking around in the city. I even popped it out of my pack while hiking, because my fiance THOUGHT were were on one trail while I KNEW were were on another...she was right
13.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back