Any standalone GPS users here still?

Well, it looks like my 2555 came back to life. I was updating the software for the Garmin Express program because I figured I would be buying a new Garmin soon. After the update was done, I decided to plug in the 2555 to the computer to see what happened and it turned on. Garmin Express said there was a map update for it so I hit the button and about four hours later it's updated with the new map update. I guess we will see if it still works the next time I go to use it.

I recently sold an old Garmin 12 on eBay that I bought in the late 1990s. Interestingly, I received messages from people all over world wanting to buy it. Japan, Russia, Malaysia, Middle East, etc. Not sure why, but it strangely had more interest than about anything I’ve every sold. Hopefully nothing nefarious about the buyers 🤷🏼‍♂️ Kinda cool units though - felt like it could have been a military issued piece. Heavy, solid and well made.

I recently sold an old Garmin 12 on eBay that I bought in the late 1990s. Interestingly, I received messages from people all over world wanting to buy it. Japan, Russia, Malaysia, Middle East, etc. Not sure why, but it strangely had more interest than about anything I’ve every sold. Hopefully nothing nefarious about the buyers 🤷🏼‍♂️ Kinda cool units though - felt like it could have been a military issued piece. Heavy, solid and well made.
Are there itar or international sales restrictions on it? Might want to check.

So I'm necro-ing an old thread of mine, sorry.

However, the other day I found my old TomTom One GPS from 2009 or so, model number N14644. I spent a little bit yesterday getting it updated as much as possible on the computer (still seems 100% for sure that the maps are way outdated) and surprisingly it does still work, but compared to modern Google Maps on a phone it is significantly worse. Last time I used it was about 10 years ago, I didn't use it to actually navigate anywhere this recent trip I took it on, just took it along on a normal commute I already knew how to get to, and it's reasonably accurate still, but still not as nice as modern Google maps.

Still, while I would perhaps like another modern replacement it's seemingly a good worthwhile backup option to keep my old one in the car and make sure it's charged up regularly, etc, to just have a backup in case the phone for whatever reason dies. Even if it gets me home in a clunky manner it's better than nothing at all, as I'm naturally quite poor at navigation and direction, so I really do need a GPS to go pretty much anywhere new at all.

Still using my Garmin, but the has taken to connecting her iPhone to her car. (we were too cheap to get nav in her car.) She seems happy with that setup.

Back