Any standalone GPS users here still?

Your detailed explanation is both thoughtful, and not particularly useful, to the discussion. This is one of those cases where I do have a good idea of how GPS works with triangulation (I had a work project 13 years ago that dealt with locating a person via his phone using triangulation). I'm also aware of real life vs. the movies. And of the FBI and Apple phone issue a decade ago. None of that is germane here.

The issue is usability and tracking of phones, vs. stand alone devices. You cannot deny that your phone is tracking you unless you turn off the very features you (and many) who enjoy and use. I call those people lemmings. I don't want devices listening to me, tracking me, monitoring me. It's invasive. It's akin to stalking. If it was a person I'd get a restraining order against stalking. I don't need the finer details of how the sausage is made here, I don't want the sausage.
Again, your data is incorrect. That break was in 2016 which was 5 years ago. Things become more secure over time not less. If quantum encryption ever takes off, you'll never be able to hack into something. You call people whatever you like. I just call them people and don't label them. If you know how the sausage is made, then you know it can't turn into a veggie burger which a lot of your posts imply. Just because of one thing, it becomes this, but you never show a link between the two. That is the basic flaw in your logic. Or lack of it.

Again, I can go to Google and it will tell me everywhere my phone has ever been since I used it and had the location turned on. That is a frightening invasion of privacy. Turn it off, and don't use it for location.
You can still use google maps and use their current maps and traffic. I remember meeting someone once and the maps routed me around a parade that I knew nothing about. The person I was going to meet used their car navigation which didn't know about the parade so he was a half hour late. Using live traffic data can save you time you didn't even know you were going to waste stuck in traffic. Garmin traffic was more delayed, by the time you got there, either traffic was gone or was just starting and it didn't know about it. Google and Apple also has settings to turn off what it monitors so you can't hack into data that doesn't exist let alone hack into it.

It's worse than knowing everywhere you phone has been. A friend of mine who always carries his iPhone with him had it on his person while talking about old air-cooled Volkswagens, particularly about a red VW microbus owned by his parents years ago. Within minutes he was receiving targeted ads for related items - including a mug with the image of a red Volkswagen bus on it. No Google searches, no viewing such vehicles on web sites, just talking about it near his phone was sufficient.

I honestly do not understand why anyone puts up with this.

I have lifetime maps and traffic with my Garmin 1490 that I bought all they way back in 2011. I replaced the battery last year.

It took me 20 minutes and it cost me $35 for the tools and battery.

I Fix It

By the way, Garmin's lifetime maps requires you to update at least every 24 months or the lifetime map feature expires. Garmin releases a map update about every 4 months.

What about the realtime traffic I get using my Android phone. Is that on a Garmin GPS? Maps may be lifetime but is the subscription for traffic info also lifetime.
Most Garmin GPS units connect via Bluetooth to your Android, so, yes, you'll get traffic alerts if your phone is also navigating. I'm one of the low percentage of people who use both my Phone and my (new-ish) Garmin GPS to navigate simultaneously. I'll usually turn the volume to zero on one or both, sometimes being entertained by the inevitable conflicts:

Garmin: "Turn right in 1 mile"

Galaxy Note 9: "Turn left in half a mile"

IMO, Google Maps is far superior for accurate navigation, but despite that, my Garmin is active whenever my truck or car is running. I like to know exactly where I am at, even when I am 99% sure of where I am.

I'm also part of the even smaller subset of the population that keeps my location services "on" at all times. I used to fly a lot for business and pleasure, and usually get a window seat so I can gaze at the world going past underneath me. I take pictures of interesting things that I see, and can identify exactly where I was when I took the picture.

I have a Garmen 1370. Got the 1370 because it also has European maps loaded. I only use it now when I travel because it gives me my altitude on screen. Built in data screen In my Buick, does not have altitude offered. My Genesis (and my former Sonatas and Cadenza do offer altitude, HOWEVER. You have to switch to so many different screens to get it, it’s just so much easier to glance at my 1370. Always there. Don’t have to switch screens.

I have a Garmen 1370. Got the 1370 because it also has European maps loaded. I only use it now when I travel because it gives me my altitude on screen. Built in data screen In my Buick, does not have altitude offered. My Genesis (and my former Sonatas and Cadenza do offer altitude, HOWEVER. You have to switch to so many different screens to get it, it’s just so much easier to glance at my 1370. Always there. Don’t have to switch screens.
Living in the flatlands I too watch the elevation. Even though it's only about 300 foot for the whole +1000sq mile county.

Just updated the maps in my old Garmin 1450 Nuvi. I even had to send this one in for repair as the connector on the back went bad a few years ago. Seems it was quite common as it happens when dropped with the cord attached.

You phone will also give you altitude. You just need to latch onto 4 satellites or more.

Yes, have a Garmin Drive 55, on a trip use it for traffic alerts and sometimes it has a better route than Waze, Waze seems confused at times, but like the warnings about Police and road hazards. Having both is useful, especially in unfamiliar territory. I update my Garmin using my computer whenever I get an "update available" from Garmin on my IMAC Air, usually 4 times a year. I've had a Garmin, either in-dash on some of my Hondas with "Navigation" or as a standalone since probably 2005, it works well and has proven helpful.

I still use a stand alone Garmin nuvi 2555 or I did until recently when I went to turn it on and it's completely dead. I even went and hooked it up to the vehicle and still nothing. I got it quite a few years ago so I'm probably due for a new one. I'm not sure what I will get next but will probably stick with Garmin. I've looked at the Garmin Drive 55 at Walmart and it seems like a decent one for the price.

It's worse than knowing everywhere you phone has been. A friend of mine who always carries his iPhone with him had it on his person while talking about old air-cooled Volkswagens, particularly about a red VW microbus owned by his parents years ago. Within minutes he was receiving targeted ads for related items - including a mug with the image of a red Volkswagen bus on it. No Google searches, no viewing such vehicles on web sites, just talking about it near his phone was sufficient.

I honestly do not understand why anyone puts up with this.

Not only that... but people willingly place listening devices inside their homes (Amazon,Google, Apple etc.) which are actively listening to their every word.

A friend recently had a similar experience like your friend. Freaky yet their is no magical reason here.... these devices listen and also catalog the end-user.

Agree 100% with your assessment. People don't "put up with it".... they actually WANT IT!!! (Bangs head against wall) 😧

The Garmin update server is the most dog slow server I've ever used.

Reactions: wtd
I still use a stand alone Garmin nuvi 2555 or I did until recently when I went to turn it on and it's completely dead. I even went and hooked it up to the vehicle and still nothing. I got it quite a few years ago so I'm probably due for a new one. I'm not sure what I will get next but will probably stick with Garmin. I've looked at the Garmin Drive 55 at Walmart and it seems like a decent one for the price.
Yes, it's good to "exercise" them once in a while, the battery is small and needs to be charged periodically. I try to run mine an hour or two every 3-4 weeks. I think you'll be pleased with the Drive 55, it has traffic and works well. I'm well satisfied with mine.

Reactions: wtd
Yes, it's good to "exercise" them once in a while, the battery is small and needs to be charged periodically. I try to run mine an hour or two every 3-4 weeks. I think you'll be pleased with the Drive 55, it has traffic and works well. I'm well satisfied with mine.
I actually use mine quite a bit and had just used it at the end of August on vacation. This was the first time it's never not come on.

Back