Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone started watching this now that the DVD set has been released (or have previously watched it when it first aired on HBO).

It's based on the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series of books. I have never read the books, but I must say I didn't expect much when I started watching the series since regardless of the quality of the books such adaptations usually end up being pretty hamfisted.

I've almost made it through the first season and I must say HBO did a fantastic job with it. While it is in the "fantasy" genre, it seems to be more concerned with political intrigue, back stabbing, and maneuvering for positions of power.

I hope they continue with the quality of the work in the future. The only off-putting aspect of it for some may be the full frontal nudity and soft core sex scenes that show up in many of the episodes. I lost count of how many breasts they've splashed on the screen and there's been at least two instances of guys showing off the goods by episode 6.

That being said, it doesn't come across as gratuitous. Some of the nudity and sex was centered around one of the main characters a daughter of a now dead king, chronicling her rise from the status of no better than a peasant to that of an emerging ruler in the barbarian horde ruled by her new husband. A husband she was sold to by her older brother. The other nudity is confined to the scenes within the brothels and mostly when the story's focus is on the lecherous dwarf, sister of the queen.

I read the first 2 books when they came out and liked them.

By the time the third book came out I forgot the first 2.. and wanted to reread before purchasing...

I might have to check this out.

The seeker is an adaption of terry goodkind's sword of truth series.
If you want a more family friendly series.. sort of like hercules/xena tv shows from a few years back.

I watched the first few episodes on HBO but couldn't get into it. They absolutely get props from me on amazing set design, costuming, and all the related artsy stuff.

I will have to check this out. I randomly bought Terry Goodkinds books at a thrift mart for 55 cents each years ago. One was 'Wizards First Rule' and the other the sequel 'Stone of Tears'. Absolutely awesome books.

I've read a fair bit of George RR Martin's work, and he's a pretty good author.

Was flicking through the books at a shop (got to be choosy, as novels are $25-$32 here (we buy online now mostly)), and the books took my interest.

Then better half told me that it was being done as a series...and same people who did True Blood (well HBO)...so will look foraward to it coming out on DVD.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I watched the first few episodes on HBO but couldn't get into it. They absolutely get props from me on amazing set design, costuming, and all the related artsy stuff.

Honestly the reason I even started watching it is because it stars Sean Bean and I've yet to see him in a role where he did a bad job. This also seems to be the genre he does best: Lord of the Rings, Troy, Black Death, etc.

2dluagw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back