Just watched my first ever episode of Star Trek- really enjoyable

I have never sat through an entire show or movie of Star Trek or Star wars, I have tried several times but loose interest. I do remember watching Lost in Space as a kid. Twilight Zone and Outer Limits was pretty good. Quantum Leap was good but I like time travel shows/movies.

You ever by chance saw 2001 A Space Odyessy? It is a long drawn out affair. Back when it was released it won rave reviews due to the special effects etc... I never was interested in the original Star Wars movies when they were originally released to theatres around 1975 or so? Everyone I knew kept pushing me "you gotta see them." Well at some point in the 1980s there was a so many years anniversary hoopla going on acrioss the USA. My two young sons (4 years apart in age) begged us to to bring them so that is how we came about seeing them. I could never get thru even 5 to 10 minutes of those new up to date films they released a few years ago. As much a fan as my sons were of the original they say the new movies simply are not too good. I will take their word for it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Star Trek universe. I was hooked on the original series, so many things that were different and ground breaking for the time. The off shoots were ok and enjoyable, but for me its the original series and The Wrath of Khan as the best ever.

Oddly, I never was one to watch a TV series faithfully. Shatner's performances ranged from pretty good to painful ham.

I was around for the original series. There was a birth control episode and an anti-gun episode. It seemed like more of the same from network TV....just sci-fi settings. The sci-fi stuff is what worked.

TOYS: All I want is a tricorder. Think how easily you could do oil analyses with one! "I'm sorry sir, it can't assess air filter condition".

WORST EPISODE to WATCH: When Spock gets married with all the Vulcans ringing those darn bells. It's one of two episodes where Spock smiled.
The other was when he was partying on that planet....frolicking upside down from the tree.

Last edited:
The scene where Kirk informs Nomad that it's flawed is classic to me - Nomad is an inanimate object but I swear it has a "What the 'heck'" look when Kirk tells it so.

I like "A piece of the Action" (a planet's culture is 'contaminated' by someone leaving a book in Chicago Gangsters of the 20's behind) and, of course, "The Trouble with Tribbles." The ending scene is hilarious.

Big fan of TOS and somewhat of TNG, but the rest of the spinoffs lost me.

I knew it was "The Changeling" from your description. A good episode. Some were clunkers (every Trekkie winces at the mention of "Spock's Brain" - just awful) but some were truly great.

"City on the Edge of Forever" has been mentioned. Yep. Best one ever. Well worth watching.

"Balance of Terror" - a commentary on war and detente, wrapped in an action thriller reminiscent of WWII submarine movies.

"The Devil in the Dark" - a horror movie with quite a plot twist, really about prejudice and misunderstanding.

80 episodes in the Original Series. Many well worth watching.

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old and watching "Star Trek" with my grandmother on network TV when it was on the air. Had to stay up late to do it, but she was a big fan, and I've been one ever since.

Reactions: GON
Don't feel bad @GON
I never watched it or Star Wars...
My Favorite Martian was enough for me in the day...
That's like saying, "I've tried a scooter, it was enough, so I didn't want to try a Mercedes"

They're not even close - a silly comedy and a show that dealt with the serious issues of the day, like war, prejudice, racism, through allegory.

Not even close.

Any Star Trek episode with a Vulcan 'Bird of Prey' showing up is one to watch.
Also, the one where Kirk engages a biped lizard in combat to the death on a desolate planet.
"Arena" - based on a short story of the same name. Both are well worth your time.

That's like saying, "I've tried a scooter, it was enough, so I didn't want to try a Mercedes"

They're not even close - a silly comedy and a show that dealt with the serious issues of the day, like war, prejudice, racism, through allegory.

Not even close.
Humor my friend- humor...........
I just don't like that kind of programming.

The Doomsday Machine is another episode well worth watching. That is the one with the thing that looked like a shriveled carrot.

I agree with a previous comment that the original series had some great episodes and some real duds.

I knew it was "The Changeling" from your description. A good episode. Some were clunkers (every Trekkie winces at the mention of "Spock's Brain" - just awful) but some were truly great.

"City on the Edge of Forever" has been mentioned. Yep. Best one ever. Well worth watching.

"Balance of Terror" - a commentary on war and detente, wrapped in an action thriller reminiscent of WWII submarine movies.

"The Devil in the Dark" - a horror movie with quite a plot twist, really about prejudice and misunderstanding.

80 episodes in the Original Series. Many well worth watching.

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old and watching "Star Trek" with my grandmother on network TV when it was on the air. Had to stay up late to do it, but she was a big fan, and I've been one ever since.
Those are classics; I also like “Obsession” and “Tomorrow is Yesterday.”

If you thought it out Pim Tac if I never watched the show which I never did there would be no way of me knowing what the show was about and his comparisons would not mean anything to one who never watched it.
No offense to anyone.

But yet here you are.

Hey, there is this other series that might be good!

13836D71-F230-45BE-8A6C-0937DE6D57ED.jpg

Back