Just watched my first ever episode of Star Trek- really enjoyable

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Last night I watched a Star Trek episode for the first time. I am in my late 50's. I am not interested in sci fi, so never watched a Star Trek before.

My Wife is in Denver with the Grankids (I am on my way right now). My Wife controls the remote. That is her subliminal passive aggressive way of me being regularly away from home for the past few decades. We no longer have cable, so I was surfing free TV. Saw a Star Trek on and decided to watch it.

The episode was super good. Some robot made it on the space ship, and was taking the space ship over. The robot thought CPT Kirk was his leader, but was still going to sabotage the space ship. The dialog was refreshing, the story line was good, the acting was excellent. I will be looking to watch more episodes of Star Trek. BTW, I saw one Star Wars movie. The first one. Yawn. My youngest Son loves all things Star Wars......

Last edited:
Last night I watched a Star Trek episode for the first time. I am in my late 50's. I am not interested in sci fi, so never watched a Star Trek before.

My Wife is in Denver with the Grankids (I am on my way right now). My Wife controls the remote. That is her passive aggressive way of me being regularly away from home for the past few decades. We no longer have cable, so I was surfing free TV. Saw a Star Trek on and decided to watch it.

The episode was super good. Some robot made it on the space ship, and was taking the space ship over. The robot thought CPT Kirk was his leader, but was still going to sabotage the space ship. The dialog was refreshing, the story line was good, the acting was excellent. I will be looking to watch more episodes of Star Trek. BTW, I saw one Star Wars movie once. The first one. Yawn. My youngest Son loves all things Star Wars......
You must watch the Star Trek episode titled THE TRIBBLES.
I have been a Star Wars fan since 1976. But, I really don't care for the latest SW movies. IMO, the best of the series ended with Revenge Of The Sith. Darth Vader has always been my hero.

You need to enroll here;

1640039343357.jpg

Roddenberry marketed the series to Lucille Ball as a "western in space." She figured why not and financed it.

The writing covered current events albeit with the premise of being in the future. It was clever in that way.

Shatner often doesn't appear in the same critique as the phrase "good acting" but I'm glad you enjoyed it just the same.

Wow! I don't know anyone who hasn't watched Star Trek.
I've never watched the TV show. I did see one of the movies though. Once. It was Wrath of Khan if I remember right. I didn't find it was as awful as I expected it to be.

Oh yeah, that sounds like The Changeling. It's ranked #32 out of 78 so you'll probably like a bunch of the other ones. Several episodes were written by science fiction writers like Harlan Ellison for The City on the Edge of Forever which is ranked #1.

Oh yeah, that sounds like The Changeling. It's ranked #32 out of 78 so you'll probably like a bunch of the other ones. Several episodes were written by science fiction writers like Harlan Ellison for The City on the Edge of Forever which is ranked #1.

Wow, you nailed it. Yes, that was the episode.
st-changeling4.jpg
st-changeling17.jpg
st-changeling20.jpg

I've never watched the TV show. I did see one of the movies though. Once. It was Wrath of Khan if I remember right. I didn't find it was as awful as I expected it to be.
That's probably considered one of the best Star Trek movies out there. Basically a sequel to the Space Seed episode with Ricardo Montalban. Although Khan Noonien Singh is supposed to be Indian and Richardo was Mexican and later on he was played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

As a little kid, Star Trek did not appeal to me. As I grew into a young man, I came to really enjoy Cap't Kirk and his escapades. I am 100% sure that the fact that Kirk got the girl every time really appealed to my youthful masculine self. Not every episode was great, but enough of them were good to really capture my attention. By the time Star Wars rolled around, I was a Trekie! The science of trek seemed more grounded, and less mysticism than Star Wars.

I really, really enjoyed the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. Seeing the alternate timeline really appealed to me.

Reactions: GON
GON, congrats. Wow no refined sugar and watched your first Star Trek. There are many equally great episodes, and it is a wonder they made it as well as they did given the limited technology and budget at the time.

The original Star Trek had such a small budget they couldn't afford the special effects for a shuttle craft so the transporter was born.
The Next Generation is probably the best with Voyager(love 7 of 9) a close second.
And Enterprise is pretty good.
I never could warm up to Deep Space Nine.

For me, Star Trek has been hit and miss in its various incarnations. I enjoyed the originals back in the day, first watched them as a kid in the mid 1970s. Spock has always been my favorite character. When TNG came out I found it un-watchable: laughably bad acting and dialog, poor writing. I couldn't make it through the 1st episode. So I went back and re-watched all the originals to see if I just didn't like Star Trek anymore. I found that when it was good it was great but when it was bad it was really bad. Same with the movies: Wrath of Khan was excellent but some of the others were just pitiful. The difference in quality (writing, dialog, acting) between different movies and series is so huge it's hard to believe it's the same franchise. The latest movies by JJ saved the franchise, a big improvement.

I was a big Star Wars fan as a kid but have become an even bigger Star Trek fan as an adult. I have a particular affinity for Voyager and DS9, TOS and TNG are series that I can appreciate but have never really gotten into. All of the series have their episodes of interest or major story arcs like Voyager's Borg story (Seven in particular), DS9's Dominion War, TOS's Space Seed, TNG's Best of Both Worlds, Enterprise's Regeneration, etc. I think I like the movies that have the original cast the best, First Contact was amazing as well. I thought Generations was not all that great but I greatly appreciated William Shattner's and Patrick Stewart's interaction.

Back