Just watched my first ever episode of Star Trek- really enjoyable

I remember watching “The Man Trap” when it originally aired in 1966. Years later in high school I caught TOS whenever my local station scheduled it. I met DeForest Kelly in 1978. A very nice man.
My favorite ST series is Deep Space Nine, and I also love “Picard” as well as “Discovery.”

The man trap was a great episode.

It was only in subsequent viewings I caught the first "morph", it as only a few frames and easy to miss if you aren't paying close attention.
It sets up the ending, but most miss it.

Apparently the creature gives some nightmares - It was pretty spooky in its day.

I found the whole episode completely tragic.

Oddly, I never was one to watch a TV series faithfully. Shatner's performances ranged from pretty good to painful ham.

I was around for the original series. There was a birth control episode and an anti-gun episode. It seemed like more of the same from network TV....just sci-fi settings. The sci-fi stuff is what worked.

TOYS: All I want is a tricorder. Think how easily you could do oil analyses with one! "I'm sorry sir, it can't assess air filter condition".

WORST EPISODE to WATCH: When Spock gets married with all the Vulcans ringing those darn bells. It's one of two episodes where Spock smiled.
The other was when he was partying on that planet....frolicking upside down from the tree.

That would be 3 smiles then.

Spock smiled in the menagerie, when he grabbed the humming flower.

So in defense of the show, episodes were written by a variety of sci fi writers. You could get humorous ones (trouble with tribbles) or very introspective shows. You could never tell what you were going to get. I am a fan of the show and "City on the Edge of Forever" is a favorite as is the one with Mariette Hartley.

Lots of "soon to be famous people" showed up on the show, Teri Garr for example.

The bridge had an Asian, Russian and black female all in senior positions in the height of geopolitical and racial tensions, (1960s) and people forget this vision of space travel was realized all before man had stepped on the moon. Touch screen computers, voice recognition, and plasma weapons were all common technologies on the show.... visionary IMHO.

Touch screen computers, voice recognition, and plasma weapons were all common technologies on the show.... visionary IMHO.

It really was. The design of the Enterprise was far more advanced than the usual saucer type craft we were used to on television and movies. If you think about it, ten years later when Star Wars took off with the first movie the ship designs were far lacking compared to Star Trek. It’s interesting that many space movies and shows since have adopted the industrial Lego look of space ships instead of the sleek Star Trek ones which continued and improved throughout the different series and movies.

So in defense of the show, episodes were written by a variety of sci fi writers. You could get humorous ones (trouble with tribbles) or very introspective shows. You could never tell what you were going to get. I am a fan of the show and "City on the Edge of Forever" is a favorite as is the one with Mariette Hartley.

Lots of "soon to be famous people" showed up on the show, Teri Garr for example.

The bridge had an Asian, Russian and black female all in senior positions in the height of geopolitical and racial tensions, (1960s) and people forget this vision of space travel was realized all before man had stepped on the moon. Touch screen computers, voice recognition, and plasma weapons were all common technologies on the show.... visionary IMHO.

Teri Garr was always great on Letterman. That show I think was supposed to lead to a spin off but it never happened.

Teri Garr was always great on Letterman. That show I think was supposed to lead to a spin off but it never happened.
You are correct. That episode was the pilot for a series where Gary Seven would be a time traveling troubleshooter. An American Doctor Who…

I've been a sci-fi fan since the old (and awful) Buck Rogers Saturday morning TV shows in black & white. Once I saw The Forbidden Planet at the movie theater in 1956 I was hooked forever. There are no original Star Treks or any of the other many "Trek" series spinoffs that I haven't seen multiple times.

I find it odd that The Forbidden Planet can be seen on TV every once in a while but Prime, Netflix, etc., want to charge you a fee to watch it. That movie and The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) are still two of my favorites.

Shatner often doesn't appear in the same critique as the phrase "good acting" but I'm glad you enjoyed it just the same.
How... Dare... ...You!

Obviously, everyone should watch the original Star Trek episodes at least once in their life.
I watched The Next Generation a couple years ago when it was remastered in high-definition. It still holds up well today. The acting, the environments, the storylines, and overall atmosphere.

DS9 not so good. And Sisko is the worst captain. It's like he's overacting in a Shakespeare play.

Watched Voyager a couple years ago and was surprised at how mediocre it is overall. Still better than lots of things on TV, of course.

Enterprise pretty good once it got going.

I won't say the current Star Trek: Discovery is garbage because it's woke, but it is woke and it is garbage. Except for two or so episodes that were pretty good.

i am a bit of a treckie + thought the Kirk episodes were best UNTIL the Picard ones, amazing how great the plots were as ONLY imagination limited them

i am a bit of a treckie + thought the Kirk episodes were best UNTIL the Picard ones, amazing how great the plots were as ONLY imagination limited them
Are you referring to the next generation or the new Picard series where season 2 just started? Can't believe he's still acting at 82.

Last night I watched a Star Trek episode for the first time. I am in my late 50's. I am not interested in sci fi, so never watched a Star Trek before.

My Wife is in Denver with the Grankids (I am on my way right now). My Wife controls the remote. That is her subliminal passive aggressive way of me being regularly away from home for the past few decades. We no longer have cable, so I was surfing free TV. Saw a Star Trek on and decided to watch it.

The episode was super good. Some robot made it on the space ship, and was taking the space ship over. The robot thought CPT Kirk was his leader, but was still going to sabotage the space ship. The dialog was refreshing, the story line was good, the acting was excellent. I will be looking to watch more episodes of Star Trek. BTW, I saw one Star Wars movie. The first one. Yawn. My youngest Son loves all things Star Wars......
Check out

The City on the Edge of Forever​

One of my favorites.

Reactions: GON
I'm a Next generation and Deep Space Nine fan.
Love next generation. You have to check out the documentary "From the Bridge". It's interesting to see the actors talk about how they weren't sure if it would do well. Plus the fact that Patrick Stewart hated jokes and comedic banter as he was a serious actor.

I'm a big Star Trek fan since the 80's when I was a little kid. But I can't get into Discovery and Picard. Doesn't feel like Star Trek to me, just generic sci-fi.

I was able to watch a second episode of Star Trek. The episode was very enjoyable.

Somehow a "people" lived in the middle of their planet, and were of smaller height and had huge heads. The leaders of this planet were trying to get humans, so they could use them as laborers. The people on this planet were able to manipulate minds, perceptions, thoughts, reality. There was a very attractive human woman that lived on the planet, and was being manipulated by the planet's leaders.

Had to jump in this thread. I've been a huge fan since a kid watching the syndicated original series on TV in the early 70s. Have seen all the episodes, most multiple times, of all the series through Enterprise. Built plastic models of the ships and devices as a kid, too. While I love all science fiction, Star Trek has always been my favorite. My daughter, who loves old "vintage" clothes and items also got into Star Trek, especially the original series. Here is a picture of us at the 2015 convention in Las Vegas. Notice my beard, which Jonathan Frakes himself called "very Rikeresque". (If you are a serious fan, you have to go to a convention. It was awesome!)

Attachments

• star trek convention.jpg
    star trek convention.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 8
Back