FVP XL Oil Filter

Looks to be similar to some wix filters I've seen cut open in the past, so Mann-Hummel, Since that doccument is from two years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if it's changed and made at either Wix or Purolator factories depending on whichever is cheaper or more convenient.

Most sizes are $4.xx on Rockauto. From the sell sheet, is there anyway to figure out who makes this? No efficiency numbers are listed.
The exploded view shows a base end bypass valve very similar to the Motorcraft filter with a base end bypass. Wonder if that's really how they are made? Doubt it's made by Purolator though, who makes Motorcraft filters.

It looks like this Wix from 2018, but more recent Wix filters have louvers, and some of the lower end purolators have that style or corugated steel center type with holes punched in it.

It appears to be the reliagaurd series that are more like cheap jobber filters, the R7502 showed in the video looks like a champlabs filter
1649989510888.jpg

As the yt video made 2016 , 'could have been' during the relatively brief Fram-Champ alliance under Rank Group. That, before Rank Grp quickly kicked Champ Labs to the curb when they filed for bankruptcy protection. As the center tubes louvered, would be a Champ Labs made oil filter. So, if current now would be First Brands Champ plant.

As for topic FVP XL, dissection pics would clearly indicate a Wix made filter with typical Wix thread end bypass piece, coil compression spring and silicone adbv. At the listed price point on RA, 'possible' that's what could be received. Or, not. "If" it is just a relabeled Wix, efficiency could be 95%@20um range. Big IF though, too much unknown.

As for topic FVP XL, dissection pics would clearly indicate a Wix made filter with typical Wix thread end bypass piece, coil compression spring and silicone adbv. At the listed price point on RA, 'possible' that's what could be received. Or, not. "If" it is just a relabeled Wix, efficiency could be 95%@20um range. Big IF though, too much unknown.
Wix has a premium jobber filter line as of a couple of years ago that uses a synthetic media. This is is probably that.

It was pitched as jobber XP, so the efficiency is probably lower than typical.

As the yt video made 2016 , 'could have been' during the relatively brief Fram-Champ alliance under Rank Group. That, before Rank Grp quickly kicked Champ Labs to the curb when they filed for bankruptcy protection. As the center tubes louvered, would be a Champ Labs made oil filter. So, if current now would be First Brands Champ plant.

Wix has a premium jobber filter line as of a couple of years ago that uses a synthetic media. This is is probably that.

It was pitched as jobber XP, so the efficiency is probably lower than typical.
The FVP XL line is $4.55 for most sizes on RA.

The Champ XL line is $3.50-$4.00 for most spin-on sizes. Based on this thread, they are supposedly 99% at 20 microns:

If true, the Champ XL filters are likely to be more efficient than any Wix clone and are a better value. The only exception is for Subaru/Mazda Skyactiv applications, but that bypass valve matter is a different debate altogether.

If true, the Champ XL filters are likely to be more efficient than any Wix clone and are a better value......
I think the operative words there are "if true". My preference is to see efficiency info either on the box, and/or on a website. Been several examples this subforum recently of info coming from reps of companies (email, word of mouth) including but not limited to First Brands, that has been proven inaccurate. "IF" the XL is really 99%@20um, yes better than the Wix/NG beta of 95% @20um. Will it make a "significant" difference in engine wear/life? Not likely.

All that said, if as described, neither the Champ XL or FVP XL would be considered "jobber" filters.

As pointed out, the FVPXL with blended media, would most describe Wix labeled/Napa Gold OFs.

I think the operative words there are "if true". My preference is to see efficiency info either on the box, and/or on a website. Been several examples this subforum recently of info coming from reps of companies (email, word of mouth) including but not limited to First Brands, that has been proven inaccurate. "IF" the XL is really 99%@20um, yes better than the Wix/NG beta of 95% @20um. Will it make a "significant" difference in engine wear/life? Not likely.

All that said, if as described, neither the Champ XL or FVP XL would be considered "jobber" filters.

As pointed out, the FVPXL with blended media, would most describe Wix labeled/Napa Gold OFs.
I'm not sure a lot of jobbers would use a premium filter, they like the sub $2 ones. I've never seen either of these "in the wild", but Menards does carry other FVP parts (batteries, mostly). I wouldn't want to use a filter with WORSE efficiency than a Wix XP/NAPA Platinum-they're already pretty bad...

Back