Frustrated noob (on synthetics.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Amsoil can be delivered right to your door, so I'm not sure why you think its not available.

I was under the impression that you had to either buy it from an Amsoil dealer/distributor, or become one yourself.
confused.gif

That's true. You get a better deal if you join the "pyramid".

"Also, the ol' Toyota calls for a 80W-90 gear oil in everything other than the engine (transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials). I currently have Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-90 in there right now and am very pleased with it, but again, I'm not so impressed with Mobil 1 anymore, so any suggestions for other gear oils would be welcomed."

In general, Royal Purple gear oils seem to be well-respected in the automotive community in general. If you can get them, I would try them.

As for oil, anyhting will do the trick, I would do a quality conventional (Pennzoil, GTX, Valvoline) 10W-30 once a year. With the amount of mileage you are utting on, the oil will hold up just fine!

Of more importance to you is whether you have had the timing chain guides changed? The factory plastic ones are bound to fail.

Oil? 2,500 miles every 6 months and those 2,500 miles aren't really short trips? 10w-30 conventional every year would work fine, but if you really wanted to be anal, every 6 months would be fine as well. Get whatever's on sale and stock up. If you have checker shucks or kragen, wait till Chevron Supreme is on sale and get it for pennies!!! This has worked for me for hundreds of thousands of miles on vehicles. You or your engine won't know the difference, only your wallet will. It's a total fallacy to think your engine will live longer with synthetic oil. the oil will at super long drains though.

Quote:

I am also thinking about going to the German Castrol, but I am still unsure of putting in a 0W in my truck, since it calls for 10W. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!

I'm in Texas, I use the 0w30 GC in my Camaro. No worries about this. This is just a measure of how the oil works at cold temps. Use with confidence.

Quote:

Quote:

Amsoil can be delivered right to your door, so I'm not sure why you think its not available.

I was under the impression that you had to either buy it from an Amsoil dealer/distributor, or become one yourself.
confused.gif

You can order online and have it shipped to your door. If you don't click a link a dealer provides you, you are assigned one when you order. Contact one of the Amsoil sponsors on here and they can get you the link to the Amsoil store online and your supporting them at the same time.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back