Fresh Oil filter Every time?

I don't believe that. How does that happen? Please explain?
Pressure difference across the media can cause trapped debris to come loose and leave the media on the clean side. Link in post 53 above showing the test data of the efficiency decreasing as the dP across the filter increased. Oil filters have much higher dP across them, compared to air filters.

honda still recommends changing oil filter every other time you change oil.
My question is what happens if you take your Honda to the dealer for all of the oil changes? Do they change the filter every time? And if they only change it every other time do they give you a discount on the changes when they don’t change the filter??

My question is what happens if you take your Honda to the dealer for all of the oil changes? Do they change the filter every time? And if they only change it every other time do they give you a discount on the changes when they don’t change the filter??
Honda or Acura dealer will change filter every time they change oil. What are you trying to imply?

In remote filter areas I will use a 20k filter for several oci's but if it's easy to get to, a fresh filter every oci
I started using better filters (FU, RP etc..) 2 times on my Focus because the bellypan is such a PITA to remove. In fact I'm currently on my 3rd and final 4K mile OCI on an OG Fram Ultra. I Mityvac the used oil out.

For the Tundra and RX 350, I do 5k mile OCIs but change the filter every 10k miles - mainly because changing the filter on them is a PITA with the skidplate and/or the stupid cartridge filters are messy.

Honda or Acura dealer will change filter every time they change oil. What are you trying to imply?

I'm saying that if the owner's manual says to change the filter every other time but the dealers change it every time, then what's the point of it even being in the owner's manual that way? And IF the dealers did change the filter only every second time it would be pretty disgusting if they charged the full price for that "no filter" service.

I'm saying that if the owner's manual says to change the filter every other time but the dealers change it every time, then what's the point of it even being in the owner's manual that way? And IF the dealers did change the filter only every second time it would be pretty disgusting if they charged the full price for that "no filter" service.
I knew that's what you meant Patman and I agree with you.
They probably put the "every other time" verbiage in the OM to claim lower maintenance costs.

I’ve mentioned this before a few times….

I have a Fram Ultra 7317 wire backed filter that currently has 70K miles (3.5 years) with drain & refill every 7K miles. Hopefully I can get it to 80K miles by the end of the year and send to Adam for autopsy photos.

This will be a record for oil filter miles on BITOG. I feel clean fresh oil is more important than a new oil filter every oil change.

Car dealers are known for pushing unnecessary services and more frequent maintenance intervals, its good for their bottom line, so there is obviously a conflict of interest in anything they "recommend" vs what you actually need. Changing oil filter with every oil change is harmless, but according to manufacture it's not necessary because they think single oil filter can handle 2 OCIs, which in Honda terms is around 15K miles (7.5k OCI x 2).
Does anyone think that Honda oil filter can not handle 15K miles?
Back in the day when I had Acura dealer change my oil, the invoice would always be itemized with a price of oil, filter, and washer. I am sure they would charge you less (minus filter cost of $8-10 MSRP) cost if you insisted to keep old filter.

Car dealers are known for pushing unnecessary services and more frequent maintenance intervals, its good for their bottom line, so there is obviously a conflict of interest in anything they "recommend" vs what you actually need. Changing oil filter with every oil change is harmless, but according to manufacture it's not necessary because they think single oil filter can handle 2 OCIs, which in Honda terms is around 15K miles (7.5k OCI x 2).
Does anyone think that Honda oil filter can not handle 15K miles?
Back in the day when I had Acura dealer change my oil, the invoice would always be itemized with a price of oil, filter, and washer. I am sure they would charge you less (minus filter cost of $8-10 MSRP) cost if you insisted to keep old filter.

Now I'm actually really curious if anyone on here has ever had a Honda dealer not change the filter on one of their oil changes and what kind of discount (if any) did they see? In all my years of owning Civics I've never once had the dealer do an oil change. With my previous Civic I did do a few oil changes myself where I actually left the filter on there for two intervals though.

I am not worried about the filter lasting 2 OCIs, I simply want as much of the old oil out as possible.

I have left the filter on when I believed the oil was being short changed, but it has been a long time.

I will leave the filter on my Edge in place soon since it will be an Endurance with only 5k on it.

I am not worried about the filter lasting 2 OCIs, I simply want as much of the old oil out as possible
Isnt there some amount that stays in the engine anyway even with filter change? +/- small amount that filter holds might not be significant to make a difference.

Even though every other OC is the MM (A/B)/OM filter recommendation, 'never' seen a Honda dealer change the oil only. Not sure what would happen if a customer asked. Would imagine some strange looks would ensue followed by an attempt to convince customer to change the filter too. Beyond that, 'I' would think an oil filter delete price reduction would need to be added to the invoice for oil only change.

Now I'm actually really curious if anyone on here has ever had a Honda dealer not change the filter on one of their oil changes and what kind of discount (if any) did they see?
Lol, thats one of the reasons for past 15 years I do DIY, its rolling a dice when you have your oil changed by dealer. Would not surprise me that some dishonest dealers will charge you for a filter but then one of the techs will say “screw it, I can finish this job faster”

Pressure difference across the media can cause trapped debris to come loose and leave the media on the clean side. Link in post 53 above showing the test data of the efficiency decreasing as the dP across the filter increased. Oil filters have much higher dP across them, compared to air filters.
I can see this happening if the bypass opens or a very large pressure increase

Isnt there some amount that stays in the engine anyway even with filter change? +/- small amount that filter holds might not be significant to make a difference.
Yes you can’t get it all out even with a good hot drain and filter change. All the more reason to change the filter IMO. Even a 3614 sized filter is holding at least 1/4 quart in my experience.

I have a Fram Ultra 7317 wire backed filter that currently has 70K miles (3.5 years) with drain & refill every 7K miles. Hopefully I can get it to 80K miles by the end of the year and send to Adam for autopsy photos.

This will be a record for oil filter miles on BITOG. I feel clean fresh oil is more important than a new oil filter every oil change.
What do you think when you cut and paste it and you have a Tearolator? Did it happen at 5,000 miles or at 65,000?

You better cough it up Dave...we all here are watching you...salivating in MD. 😆

Back