Every OTHER interval filter change - the numbers seem to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

If the filters were beginning to load, the oil should get cleaner.

Maybe is does. Most of the stuff that makes it dirty is too small to be trapped ...or is in the form of "dissolved solids". Nuttin' you can do about them.

useless appendages in a modern well operating engine. Now given the fact you have little choice and must use one then keep it on as long a possible, atleast through an oil change interval. My own testing showed me that the UOA was the same by leaving a filter on for a 12,000 mile OCi as changing it at the half way point.

now, I do change my filters with the oil change but I have no fear of leaving them on for 12,000 miles either or a year which happens on one of my cars. They never ever accumulate enough garbage to get close to being plugged but just my opinion on this with only a personal one time test of the longevity of a filter.

How about this angle...??

Frams could be better for 3K changes (gasp) because of LESS media. Reason being...less media will contaminate faster and become more efficient.

Ive been doing 15K oil filter changes on my wife's 98 Civic and it now has 139K miles.

Its still purring like a kitten, still getting 38 MPG on the highway, still as quiet as a mouse, still reliable as when it had 5K miles, still running great.

Save you money, no need to change the oil filter every 5000 miles. Half a quart of old oil inside the engine won't hurt.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
...what about using oil like M1 or PP for 10k OCI's and leaving a filter on there for that amount of time? A)Is it OK? B) Wix, M1's or Pure1?
Oil is crack to us.

My cars:

2000 E430: Mobil1 0W40 and Mann cartridge filter with OCI of 1 year or 12k miles.

2004 S2000: Mobil1 10W30 and Honda PCX filter with one year OCI (less than 7k miles).

1994 LS400: Mobil1 5W40 and Motorcraft FL400s filter with OCI of 1 year or 15k miles

No filter was changed at middle of any OCI.

There were several manufacturers that spec'd every other changes for filters if you went by mileage. This really took off after unleaded fuel was introduced.

and what scietific data caused everyone to go to every oil change for a filter change?

Probably the results of testing to determine how to build a filter. I'm sure that they found that the level of contamination, combined with physical space limitations (including shipping/stocking/installing/handling), governed by cost/benefit analysis, resulted in a filter that was cheap and effective for what it was intended to do for the sake of longevity of the engine.

As we can see, they've mostly shrank in size. The next evolution is to extend their use if conditions permit. The filter must serve a variety of masters.

Am I missing something here? Being conncerned about whats trapped IN the filter! My concern would be related to the particulates in the ~15% of the oil that does NOT drain at the given OCI. Cost or fear is not the reason some(me too) leave a filter on for a double length OCI, practicality and reason are.

Last year I changed the oil in my vehicle and my wife's after each had M1 in them for 10,000 mi. She had a NAPA Gold filter and I had a Pure One. I cut open both filters and both were in excellent condition.

I used to change the filter every oil change on my cars. The owners manual say every other change. I finally figured out that the factory is right and I'm even going to go to every third oil change inetrvals. Thats about 6-8 months. I should worry about a cupful of old oil in 5 qts of fresh? Please. And dirt? I have a good Purolator air filter. The engine is broken in 200,000 miles plus. Where is this dirt or "particulate matter" supposed to come from? Much to do about almost nothing in my opinion.

All of my older tractors, diesel and gas, all have recommendations to change the filter every other oil change.

This practice has been done ever since new, on hard worked engines, and the filters still show little signs of any buildup or contamination when they are changed out after 300 hours of use.

All of these tractors have between 6000 and 12000 hours of use, none of them have been overhauled, underhauled, or rebuilt, or even had valve covers off yet.

I don't think you will be hurting a darn thing running the filters out a ways. I went to leaving the filter in for 2 10K intervals in my wife's TDI Jetta, with no problems noted in UOA, don't have to buy another 10-12 dollar filter in between, and the filter looks great still when it comes out. Those Mann's are built like a $&#$ brickhouse.
grin.gif

FWIW, Changing the filter on my CRV is such a messy PITA that I'll do anything to minimize the number of times I do it. For me that's as good a reason as any...with the high quality of filters available a year or 15K on filter wouldn't scare me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back