Fram XG8A rattles when shaken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Do not cut it--reach out to Motorking and he will take care of you. On the surface it sounds like the leaf spring slipped loose and is rattling.

This,
Let motorking cut it open in the Fram lab, then he can share the pics with us......
He's got a big shovel.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Do not cut it--reach out to Motorking and he will take care of you. On the surface it sounds like the leaf spring slipped loose and is rattling.

This,
Let motorking cut it open in the Fram lab, then he can share the pics with us......

Why post asking for input and then ignore this?
Let Motorking have it!

OP is not asking for input about this. Unless I missed something in the original post he's already called and sent an email. He's waiting for a reply.

I once bought a rattling SuperTech filter. I called them, they apologized for it, and sent me a box to return it for their analysis, along with a coupon for four free filters. They said that the leaf spring at the bottom, that held the media tight against the base plate, was partially collapsed. They blamed it on likely mis-handling during shipping. I was satisfied with a coupon for four more free filters.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Falken,
We will not be going to coil springs anytime soon. Our OE business is now much larger than our aftermarket business. ALL automotive OE's spec a leaf spring becuase it is a better design for reasons I have explained on this forum more than one time.

Keep explaining it takes more than a few times, this is the internet. The only thing I don't like about Fram is it is owned by one man who has a yacht with a helicopter landing pad. I'm down to Clarcor looks like to have a USA owner company.
Maybe the retainer spring is missing, or maybe the baseplate bends if tightened hard. I would cut the thing open and see for myself. Fram should already be sending him a new filter with a gift card, prepaid box for return, and a thank you. He's not making it up to get a freebie.
Is there someone wrong with owning a yacht with a helicopter pad?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Falken,
We will not be going to coil springs anytime soon. Our OE business is now much larger than our aftermarket business. ALL automotive OE's spec a leaf spring becuase it is a better design for reasons I have explained on this forum more than one time.

Keep explaining it takes more than a few times, this is the internet. The only thing I don't like about Fram is it is owned by one man who has a yacht with a helicopter landing pad. I'm down to Clarcor looks like to have a USA owner company.
Maybe the retainer spring is missing, or maybe the baseplate bends if tightened hard. I would cut the thing open and see for myself. Fram should already be sending him a new filter with a gift card, prepaid box for return, and a thank you. He's not making it up to get a freebie.
Is there someone wrong with owning a yacht with a helicopter pad?

No. Is there something wrong with me saying what I want to say? I don't need to explain my opinions further.

The only thing I don't like is the quality of the product itself at reasonable price, I don't care if the owner/CEO has a yacht or a boat.

As of now Fram Ultra is 1 of best, if not the best, spin on oil filter at reasonable price.

Full Disclosure: I'm not associate with Fram by any mean, I didn't receive any free Fram product for posting positive opinions on Fram Ultra oil filter.

Anyone contacts customer service for any reason should receive some freebies without anything to support their claims ?

At the very least the claimant should ship it back to the company with prepaid postage so they can study/analyze the problem to fix it in the next design/manufacture. Company should ship replacement and possibly some extra.

If OP cut the filter himself to post pictures here then he shouldn't expect any support from Fram.

Originally Posted By: Falken

This is common-knowledge at this point, I bet a lot of money that FRAM is going to go to coil springs very soon, they have too much on the line.

I realize that Motorking already posted his answer on this, but I have to add to it.
Why should they? 99.99% of oil filter buyers couldn't care less about a leaf spring or a coil spring. If it gets them to the next oil change without incident, they are happy.
Plus, could you imagine how many millions of dollars it would cost to change over each and every filter number over to a a coil spring?
Motorking would lose his yearly bonus. (I kid, Motorking. I kid)

In an industry like oil filter manufacturing, they wouldn't need to change the part number due to a design change like a spring in the dome end. Don't need that much configuration control in that world.

Motorking responded and all is well. I remain a content Fram customer.

I wonder if this filter got a dent like the last one did.

If I remember correctly, the last member who had one rattle admitted to maybe denting it on a snow/ice mound in front of his garage. Either way it's a bit unnerving to find your FU rattling upon removal.

I guess we will find out after Fram gets a look at it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

The only thing I don't like is the quality of the product itself at reasonable price, I don't care if the owner/CEO has a yacht or a boat.

As of now Fram Ultra is 1 of best, if not the best, spin on oil filter at reasonable price.

Full Disclosure: I'm not associate with Fram by any mean, I didn't receive any free Fram product for posting positive opinions on Fram Ultra oil filter.

Anyone contacts customer service for any reason should receive some freebies without anything to support their claims ?

At the very least the claimant should ship it back to the company with prepaid postage so they can study/analyze the problem to fix it in the next design/manufacture. Company should ship replacement and possibly some extra.

If OP cut the filter himself to post pictures here then he shouldn't expect any support from Fram.

I'll stick with everything I said and how I said it. No doubt you will stay with your opinion also. Fine with me.

The only thing I don't like about Fram is it is owned by one man who has a yacht with a helicopter landing pad.

8wyzix.jpg

Actually Fram does not owe him anything..If they decide to do something that would be good customer service.. As for not buying fram because it is owned by one man that is doing well is ridiculous.. The only thing i will buy from fram is the ultra because that seems to be well made.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Actually Fram does not owe him anything..If they decide to do something that would be good customer service.. As for not buying fram because it is owned by one man that is doing well is ridiculous.. The only thing i will buy from fram is the ultra because that seems to be well made.

Best post in the thread. Nothing was damaged, just cut the thing open and see what's rattling.

My opinion differs, and I stick to it, for my own reasons, which are good reasons to me. You don't know the reasons. I am not going to argue or tell the reasons. I don't think I said I wouldn't buy, you added that. That's about it on that subject.

Hopefully the leaf spring failure affects only the larger diameter filters (like the XG8A) which require a stronger spring. The smaller filters may be safer to use.

I wonder if the car have seen very cold starts? Or a very thick oil was used?

Last edited:
I am happy with the response as well.

Sorry I wasn't aware of the backstory and apologize.

Motorking, I am gaining a lot of trust in FRAM (You can research my post history so this is a good thing you are doing on this site building trust and future customers).

I am a huge WIX supporter, so if you are softening me up go and ask for a raise (seriously).

This is all very interesting stuff, keep up the good work on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Falken
This is all very interesting stuff, keep up the good work on BITOG.
Fully agree. Motorking has always gone out of his way to answer my questions and provide information--even when he is not at work. I certainly appreciate his efforts and am glad that he is on BITOG.

Other filter companies could learn a thing or two about customer service from Motorking...

Im sorry i did add that...So you would buy a fram filter??

I have a Fram Ultra ready for next oil change and the other car has one on since last week. I probably will buy them more, been looking at the Hastings /Baldwin too. I need to get rid of a lot of old filters first. As far as the Fram owner being rich, that fact isn't the dislike I have, it's that Fram, now also Champ Labs, are owned by one man from a foreign nation who controls everything. Can't we buy a US made oil filter owned by Americans in America? Autos too, Toyota etc are becoming the biggest USA made auto makers but are foreign owned. At least Toyota etc are publicly traded so everyone can own a piece of it if they want. I don't want to argue about it, that's just how I feel. To clear the air so to speak. It is supposed to be about oil filters themselves. If Buffett bought Fram I would not say this, and he is far richer than Rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back