Fram XG8A rattles when shaken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont care who its made by and where its made if its a superior product i will buy it.

If your filter has been dropped onto a hard surface, there is a chance you can permanently deform the leaf spring. Hence, it will rattle. This goes for any filter with a leaf spring. They used to be thicker heat-treated steel, but nowadays are fairly thin generic steel.

Glad FRAM took care of you! =)

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: slybunda
This issue is common? Seen a youtube video about. A fram ultra rattling like this.

Not common.

More commmon than you would think. I ordered 12 XG8a filters through my employer, and 8 of the 12 rattled.

Fram took care of me, though.

wow i just saw this you said 8 out of 10 Fram ultras rattled?
Thats not so good at all.Honestly i don't remember purolater having this problem for all the years we used them at the shop..We stopped using them a couple of years ago when their quality issues and all the tearing was reported. We are using Wix now for about two years now and we had 3 bad ones that i know of so far but otherwise their quality is pretty good.

Thats a large amount of failure over 50%

Probably all in the same manufacturing lot.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
wow i just saw this you said 8 out of 10 Fram ultras rattled?
Thats not so good at all.Honestly i don't remember purolater having this problem for all the years we used them at the shop..We stopped using them a couple of years ago when their quality issues and all the tearing was reported. We are using Wix now for about two years now and we had 3 bad ones that i know of so far but otherwise their quality is pretty good.

I had one Purolator-manufactured Quaker State oil filter rattle when new - I returned it to Menard's with no problems, not using it. It's the only oil filter I've ever had with this issue.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I did my yearly oil change on my sons vehicle [3500 miles] and upon removing the oil filter an XG8A the element was loose it rattled when I shook it . It didn't rattle when I installed the filter. I called Fram and the claims department didn't answer and then I emailed about the problem with their premium filter. There of coarse was no damage but when you buy the premium filter I don't expect it to rattle. We will see what Fram does.
How do you know there was no damage?

I just did an oil change last weekend on my fiesta and used an xg3600 should i replace it with a mann or bosch filter to be on the safe side?

Glad I stocked up on the Napa Golds for $3.69 on sale. We got one brand that tears and another that falls apart!!

The last time someone had a problem with an Ultra, FRAM asked for a receipt to confirm he had purchased the filter.

The application was a BMW and it was rattling and starving for oil due to a crushed element.

The BITOGer that posted just requested a new filter and replacement of the oil that he had to dump early.

I believe it ended with FRAM saying no ticky, no laundry. Just like Jack here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob05sr6hKW8

[censored] i was about to order 3 more of the ultras but wont risk it now and stick to the mobil1 filters.

Anyone recommend alternatives to the ultra xg3600 from rockauto?

The only filter I have ever personally seen this issue was a Mopar filter at a thrift store.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The last time someone had a problem with an Ultra, FRAM asked for a receipt to confirm he had purchased the filter.

The application was a BMW and it was rattling and starving for oil due to a crushed element.

The BITOGer that posted just requested a new filter and replacement of the oil that he had to dump early.

I believe it ended with FRAM saying no ticky, no laundry.

I think Fram wanted a receipt for the oil before reimbursing him. I doubt any filter maker would send the guy money for oil he dumped because he thought the filter was bad.

Can you imagine what Purolator would say (if they'd even talk to you) if everyone with a discovered torn Purolator said they dumped their oil because of the tear and wanted Purolator to pay for new oil? I know what their answer would be, even if you had a receipt ... silence, then "click" on their end.

Someone has no way to show purchase of recently changed oil and filter and asks for payment for them? Based on what? Someone tells a story, then others retell the story as if it has to be true, and there it all starts, even when the original story could be false.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: CT8
I did my yearly oil change on my sons vehicle [3500 miles] and upon removing the oil filter an XG8A the element was loose it rattled when I shook it . It didn't rattle when I installed the filter. I called Fram and the claims department didn't answer and then I emailed about the problem with their premium filter. There of coarse was no damage but when you buy the premium filter I don't expect it to rattle. We will see what Fram does.
How do you know there was no damage?
I am a professional!!! That is how I know.

[censored] i was about to order 3 more of the ultras but wont risk it now and stick to the mobil1 filters.

Anyone recommend alternatives to the ultra xg3600 from rockauto?

Well Mobil1 is one of the top tier Fram oil filters but I still think the Ultra is a better buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back