Fram Ultra Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find the three rattlers found at Walmart thread you were part of. You seem unable to stop what you are doing.

Originally Posted by Mightymouse
Maybe just use the other ones that are still good and after that just buy a better brand than frame.

I agree with buying a better brand name than frame.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Maybe just use the other ones that are still good and after that just buy a better brand than frame.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by kschachn

Yep, I would never buy a Frame oil filter.

Yep, the thread where you were then "goodtimes" back in May 2018, and also the thread where Fram retrieved the filters from Walmart and found dents in the dome end. I'm still waiting for proof that the filters are tight when new, then rattle after being used on a vehicle - of course that's on a filter removed without causing damage to the can. The wrinkle coating hides dome dents, and they can only be seen after the filter is cut open.

Just like louvers, people should be looking for any obvious dents in the can, and shake the filter to ensure it's internals are tight as part of the checkout before using. Any filter can be dropped or mishandles from the time it's made to the time you buy it. And those old stock filters on eBay ... who knows how many times they've been shuffled around and mishandled.

I'll revisit one last time on this one-when you buy the eBay 6 pack, be absolutely sure to inspect all 6 filters for dents, loose internals, any other obvious issues. The eBay vendors take these returns, that have been subjected to multiple shipping trips, & shove them into a USPS Flat Rate box with little or no padding (because it won't fit!), and they ROUTINELY get damaged in shipping. There is nothing inherently wrong with an Ultra, IF it is not beat up, the cans are just not that strong. I wish Fram would take the Bosch Distance Plus can, baseplate, and a coil spring & put an Ultra element & ADBV in there-that would be the best non-bypass oil filter one could buy. As I said before, I've never had any issues getting credit or replacement filters for damaged Ultras off eBay.

Originally Posted by brages
Just checked my stash and one of the XG8A that I bought from SAE is dented and rattling. Not cool!

I emailed SAE and explained the problem, they got back to me today saying a replacement will be sent to me. Perhaps contact them.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
^^^^^ Good deal. Seems like a reputable seller trying to do the right thing. In this case, making it right about the most one can ask.

Got the replacement one today, and it doesn't rattle. SAE made good on the deal. Reputable seller indeed

Originally Posted by 762fermeandyou
^^^^^ Good deal. Seems like a reputable seller trying to do the right thing. In this case, making it right about the most one can ask.

Got the replacement one today, and it doesn't rattle. SAE made good on the deal. Reputable seller indeed

They've always taken care of me, and they've never wanted the old one back, most of the time I just send them pictures of any visible damage.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by 762fermeandyou

They've always taken care of me, and they've never wanted the old one back, most of the time I just send them pictures of any visible damage.

I cut it open Sunday to see what is was made of. I told SAE it rattled, and I cut it open. They didn't ask for the "defective" one back. Good company.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
This is an issue with them. loyalists try to sweep it under the rug. To me it's just another oil filter. The element is heavy so it can knock the spring harder. It's a lot heavier with the thick mesh. This is where a coil spring is better.

"The element is heavy so it can knock the spring harder."

Sorry, but this is fake news. The idea of the spring is in any filter keep everything tight with zero play. If a filter rattles, it's either flawed or was dropped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
This is an issue with them. loyalists try to sweep it under the rug. To me it's just another oil filter. The element is heavy so it can knock the spring harder. It's a lot heavier with the thick mesh. This is where a coil spring is better.

Sorry, but this is fake news. The idea of the spring is in any filter keep everything tight with zero play. If a filter rattles, it's either flawed or was dropped.

What I said isn't any kind of news. The heavier element when dropped puts more force on the spring. A leaf spring in a filter is barely a spring at all but more of a retainer with some spring to it. A coil spring can move more and still work, The retainer spring can get bent too far and doesn't come back. Sorry the Fram Ultra element gets loose against the spring at times, it isn't my fault. Those are facts, Ultras can have a loose element. Spring isn't designed right for any possible load on it.

What I said isn't any kind of news. The heavier element when dropped puts more force on the spring. A leaf spring in a filter is barely a spring at all but more of a retainer with some spring to it. A coil spring can move more and still work, The retainer spring can get bent too far and doesn't come back. Sorry the Fram Ultra element gets loose against the spring at times, it isn't my fault. Those are facts, Ultras can have a loose element. Spring isn't designed right for any possible load on it.

"When dropped."

You just admitted it's not the filters fault. Thanks for the clarification.

"When dropped."

Yep ... been reports in this forum over the years of other brands of filters that suffer the same thing when they are dropped or the can damaged. It's not unique to Fram, but some people try to make it sound that way.

"When dropped."

I admitted no such thing, of course. Dropped in context is to describe impact. It's not my fault the Ultra is found rattling in different situations.
Your argument is similar to those who say a torn Purolator was "used too long." Sorry, they didn't design it right , it is the filters fault. Should be able to be clogged shut and nothing tears in a normal condition engine. No excuses. No delicate filter for me.
That's it, not going to get the mods upset with bickering, even if I am not the one who must always have the last word.
Peace on Earth and Good Will towards men is better.

The Ultra has 3 flaws, I will never be one who says they're PERFECT-the leaf spring is a little weak, and can be damaged if the filter is dropped, a coil spring would be an improvement (but AFAIK Fram doesn't use them). The can is pretty thin, they can be dented pretty easily (again dropping & bad shipping practices). The Sure Grip (on the ~95% of screw on filters that use them) can get dented by road debris/gravel in use, and rust rapidly sets in. Otherwise, it's the best filter for the money, hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back