Fram ultra XG8A Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point on the grippy stuff. Did not see any damage there but the filter in the box and hard drop (shock) may not have shown. I should have bought the darn thing. Its probably back on the shelf. I will see if I can get back up there. Will be a zoo before Christmas.

I always check my filters be shaking and visually. I had an XG8 do that in use.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
... No filter is meant to withstand being dropped on a hard floor. The thickest of cans can be dented this way. ...
You probably know, but I'll point out for anyone who doesn't, impact on the dome end of a spin-on filter can easily ruin it even if there's no dent or distortion of the surface. Excessive acceleration can permanently deform the spring. When that happens, the other internal components are no longer clamped together, which allows oil to bypass around the end of the media.

I used to slap the dome end of filters with my bare hand, in order to more thoroughly drain them. Once I whacked a Purolator too hard. I noticed it rattled thereafter when shaken, and realized what I'd done, even though the can was undamaged. Therefore, I (sadly) discarded it instead of reinstalling it.

I had the same issue with a German Mann from AAP. It was an online in store pickup and they let me exchange it right there before I left.

Not much of a spring if a drop to the floor bends the leaf. All leafs are not made the same. Gives support as to why some use coil springs. I had a Fram Ultra with a big dent in the top and no rattle. What is this rattle like, a clunk back and forth sound or a marble rattling sound? Maybe the plastic bypass valve part was not installed into the spring and is rattling around inside. It's OK, probably just an isolated defect, there are no others, even though two on a shelf had it..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Not much of a spring if a drop to the floor bends the leaf. All leafs are not made the same. Gives support as to why some use coil springs. I had a Fram Ultra with a big dent in the top and no rattle. What is this rattle like, a clunk back and forth sound or a marble rattling sound? Maybe the plastic bypass valve part was not installed into the spring and is rattling around inside. It's OK, probably just an isolated defect, there are no others, even though two on a shelf had it..
laugh.gif

Goodtimes it was a clunk. Reaching inside with my finger I could move the element up and down and just very little side to side

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
... No filter is meant to withstand being dropped on a hard floor. The thickest of cans can be dented this way. ...
You probably know, but I'll point out for anyone who doesn't, impact on the dome end of a spin-on filter can easily ruin it even if there's no dent or distortion of the surface. Excessive acceleration can permanently deform the spring. When that happens, the other internal components are no longer clamped together, which allows oil to bypass around the end of the media.

I used to slap the dome end of filters with my bare hand, in order to more thoroughly drain them. Once I whacked a Purolator too hard. I noticed it rattled thereafter when shaken, and realized what I'd done, even though the can was undamaged. Therefore, I (sadly) discarded it instead of reinstalling it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I had the same issue with a German Mann from AAP. It was an online in store pickup and they let me exchange it right there before I left.

thumbsup2.gif
Yep, I've run into this problem with other filters as well. The Hyundai OEM filter (which has a thick, heavy can) that I received in the mail with a dent on the dome end rattled when I shook it. I came across a Mobil 1 EP filter at AAP that had a dent on the dome end and had the same problem. An employee placed the filter aside behind the counter and put a note on it so it wouldn't get put back on the shelf. Once I dropped a Purolator filter of mine still in the box on concrete, which dented the dome end and caused a rattle on the inside.

Also, the rattle may not happen until later, after the filter has been installed and in use for a while. An impact on a hard floor/concrete surface and a dent on the dome end can cause a problem with the spring over time, with failure occurring after the filter has been in use for a while. There was an example of this on BITOG in the past.

Dented filters should never be installed because it can lead to problems down the road.

Originally Posted By: littleant
laugh.gif

Goodtimes it was a clunk. Reaching inside with my finger I could move the element up and down and just very little side to side

They shouldn't sell those filters, and send them back to Fram. The only positive is maybe some thief will do a switch to get an Ultra in a ST box and end up with a defective filter he can't take back. That is pretty likely at WM actually.

laugh.gif

They shouldn't sell those filters, and send them back to Fram. The only positive is maybe some thief will do a switch to get an Ultra in a ST box and end up with a defective filter he can't take back. That is pretty likely at WM actually.

I'm sorry to get off subject here, but my WM now has huge signs with black lettering on a white background, reading about how they WILL NOT take back, exchange, etc ANY kind of motor oil! Too many 5 qt. containers coming back filled with water and/or used oil.
Okay, back to dented oil filters.

Not much of a spring if a drop to the floor bends the leaf. ... Gives support as to why some use coil springs. ... What is this rattle like, a clunk back and forth sound or a marble rattling sound? Maybe the plastic bypass valve part was not installed into the spring and is rattling around inside. ...
The leaf spring is fine for its intended purpose, but not for abuse like dropping the filter on a solid surface or otherwise whacking it hard on the dome end. No, the rattle is not like a marble rattling around inside---more like a loose filter media sub-assembly clunking inside---along with (depending on the design) the anti-drainback valve, etc.

I don't think a modern wife would enjoy hearing get in the kitchen and rattle those pots and pans because I'm a hungry man, or outside you look so nice but inside you're cold as ice.
laugh.gif

I took Fram filters back to WM and the clerk took each one from the box, looked inside it, and and put it next to the box to make sure it was the right one. The Ultrs thief is not going to get his $3 back for the rattling Ultra in an ST box with the clerk I got.

Those Fram leaf springs need more "spring."

I did a search for the prior youtube video to repost as it had sound, but based on this thread from almost 3 years ago now where that video was embedded in a post it's no longer available

Link

The Filter Manufacturers Council has a TSB advising against installing dented canister filters.

TSB Link

I've only encountered this once, with a brand new undented Quaker State QS173 from Menards that I returned. The clerk at the return dedk shook it as well and heard the rattle. Guess a defective spring was installed or the filter took a shock load that didn't result in a dent but broke the spring.

I have dropped a canister filter once and both dented it & broke the spring, a Frampion CQ Blue. It went into the filter recycling drum with my used oil filters at O'Reilly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
... The clerk at the return dedk shook it as well and heard the rattle. Guess a defective spring was installed or the filter took a shock load that didn't result in a dent but broke the spring.

I have dropped a canister filter once and both dented it & broke the spring, a Frampion CQ Blue. ...
More likely the spring didn't break, but was deformed (i.e., it yielded) when it was overstressed by the shock.

OK, the spring was no longer filfilling its function.

Kaput, tot, no bueno, however you want to phrase it.

I didn't cut either such filter open. Didn't see any point in doing so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
laugh.gif

I'm sorry to get off subject here, but my WM now has huge signs with black lettering on a white background, reading about how they WILL NOT take back, exchange, etc ANY kind of motor oil! Too many 5 qt. containers coming back filled with water and/or used oil.
Okay, back to dented oil filters.
Agree with Walmart on this. The only oil I would take back is used oil for recycling. The Walmart I go to has a dedicated return area where they will inspect the item you are returning. Sad but a sign of the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back