Sent Email to Fram about filter rattling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice clear pictures. I do hope they come clean and tell the reason for the rattling, no sugar coating. Otherwise have to guess that maybe it's fixed, or maybe it's not. Nothing like a little rain on a parade to show the jury is still out until the verdicts are in.

Thank you goodtimes. Received email from fram today if I would leave feedback for there customer service. I have a feeling they may not say what they find with the filters. But you never know.

Originally Posted By: littleant
Hi Guys. Received the new filters from fram 2 XG2 and 2 XG8A. Non of the filters rattled but 2 had dents on them 1 of the XG8A and 1 of the XG2 see photos. Have not heard back from Fram yet

They look like store returns................

WOW that's really not what I would call top-notch customer service!

You may want to include a link to the Filter Manufacturers Council TSB 97-8R1 from 1997 on the impact of dents in canister oil filters to Fram to refresh the official position these should not be used. I wonder if Fram is even a current member of FMC based on what you were sent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11YpnJEpXO0_E6yOCr-zAwfotqXxHozeW/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
WOW....

Yep I agree. Stayed out of this one and watched it's development as initially WM seemingly got trashed here (normal for bitog in my observation) while Fram lauded. This in what to my reading was not a WM issue in the first place. With the receiving of the 'replacement' filters, imo clearly this goes far beyond any implied or stated WM issue.

As reference, not the first time for FU loose element, leaf/flat spring compromised, posted on this board. Not going to link, if interested google 'fram ultra failure', first entry is reference. True or otherwise in the end the poster there directly blamed for dropping the filter prior to installation.

I'm currently running an XG7317 and have one in my stash, so any perceived anti FU bias inaccurate. Just my .02

Sayjac i agree 100% this is not a Wal-Mart issue. What fascinates me is if I was sending a customer courteous filters because of possible defect issues i would have checked to make sure the filters were not damaged they sent me. Have I seen dents in other brands of filters sure I have. Back in the late 60's it was common at my repair shop for filters to be dented. I run a fram ultra on my mountaineer. Will I use the dented filters maybe. Will I use the undented filters YES. Will I check my filters ALWAYS. Will I still buy at Wal-Mart yes. Why price-larger selection of oil -filters.

Just wanted to add I agree with this statement (FU loose element, leaf/flat spring compromised). What else could it be. I am just concerned it could happen when the filter is put into service even though it made no noise or rattle before.

WOW that's really not what I would call top-notch customer service!

You may want to include a link to the Filter Manufacturers Council TSB 97-8R1 from 1997 on the impact of dents in canister oil filters to Fram to refresh the official position these should not be used. I wonder if Fram is even a current member of FMC based on what you were sent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11YpnJEpXO0_E6yOCr-zAwfotqXxHozeW/view?usp=drivesdk

Thank you for the link. I guess I will not use the dented filters. May just C&P them

Just wanted to add I agree with this statement (FU loose element, leaf/flat spring compromised). What else could it be. I am just concerned it could happen when the filter is put into service even though it made no noise or rattle before.

Wonder if it could be the leaf spring installed backwards? You'd have to cut one that rattles open to inspect and see.

Frams response with pictures. Look at #3 and #4 is that not the inside of the cup and dented in not out???
Thank you for notifying us of your recent experience involving one of our FRAM Group products. We are proud of our filters and take your complaint seriously.
We were able to recover the four filters that you identified in the store as “rattlers”. Once the product arrived, we were able to verify that two of the four were loose. An engineering review found the internal and external components to be dimensionally conforming to prints. It was noted that there are several dents in the dome that would correlate to a dropped filter, in this case, two dropped filters.
At the FRAM Group, customer input plays a big part in driving product improvements. We appreciate your help. Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us. If you have any other questions about the findings, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Product Evaluation Team

In the Fram pictures the unopened filter standing next to the microscope light has a baseplate that looks deeper bent than the cut open one. It could be "the angle." Maybe if true that's the reason they rattle.
Maybe people have some used ones they can abuse to see what it takes to get a rattler. I had a new one with a much worse top dent and it didn't rattle.
I can't really say what else comes to mind. But OP said originally there were four rattlers at WM and they weren't dented.

Frams response with pictures. Look at #3 and #4 is that not the inside of the cup and dented in not out???
Thank you for notifying us of your recent experience involving one of our FRAM Group products. We are proud of our filters and take your complaint seriously.
We were able to recover the four filters that you identified in the store as “rattlers”. Once the product arrived, we were able to verify that two of the four were loose. An engineering review found the internal and external components to be dimensionally conforming to prints. It was noted that there are several dents in the dome that would correlate to a dropped filter, in this case, two dropped filters.
At the FRAM Group, customer input plays a big part in driving product improvements. We appreciate your help. Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us. If you have any other questions about the findings, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Product Evaluation Team

Anyone here think any other company would let the customer know what they found out in their lab analysis after going through the trouble of retrieving reported bad filters at a retail store? Some filter makers wont even reply to an email of any kind, let alone send someone a lab report. Maybe we know who "squeaky wheel" will be oiled up now.
grin2.gif

It's possible the dents are from the inside facing out if the filter box was dropped on the dome end and all the mass of the guts of the filter hammered on the inside of the dome end. A whole box of filters could have been dropped by a shipper from 10 ft and landed on the end of the box to cause inertia of the filter guts towards the dome end.

I would think it would take a pretty serious drop to get one to rattle-I've bought 5 or 6 eBay 6 packs of Ultras, and gotten dented ones, including dome dents, and none of them rattled. Of course, they weren't shipped UPS, either...

Guys your comments make sense. Fran did step up and did send the info they said they would. I did not see dents in the filters that were sent back but that does not mean there were none. The black grip finish makes it tough to see a dent unlike the gold color where you would see a dent very easy. The one thing we can take away from this is fram did respond just like they said they would and that stuff happens.

Having noted that, the quality or QC/QA of 50% of the filters sent to you as goodwill effort is a joke though. I don't recall seeing any other filter manufacturer sending dented canister filters directly to a board member here.

Last edited:
Having noted that, the quality or QC/QA of 50% of the filters sent to you as goodwill effort is a joke though. I don't recall seeing any other filter manufacturer sending dented canister filters directly to a board member here.

Have you seen ANY manufacturer send comp'ed filters to anyone here, much less autopsy them and allow the pics to be published?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back