Motorcraft FL-400S for the win, rattle cured!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Now that the temps have dipped again I'm dealing with start up rattle in my Jeep. I know it's probably harmless but I absolutely detest it. I get it for a few seconds once every 4-5 starts. I have tried just about every filter I can think of, and while they all perform fine when it's warmer once we get into the 30's and 40's here I get the occassional death rattle.

This is my third Jeep I-6 but the only one that has had this tendency. It was neglected by the PO and the inside of the engine is grungy even though it runs like a top. I wonder if that might have something to do with it.

I bought a Napa Gold with the intent of using it for the cold months as it had a silicone ADBV, thread end bypass and is a stoutly made filter. The ADBV on it won't even seal on the blow back test so I'm mighty disappointed and won't be using it.

I'm pondering trying a Motorcraft FL-400S, it's not a spec filter for my Jeep but it will fit just fine and has the features I hope will get this rattle to go away.

Any experiences with a particular filter that has done a good job of eliminatiing rattle?

For reference, filters I've already tried that will all produce intermittent rattle include: Puro Classic, PureOne, Motorcraft FL-1A, Fram Extended Guard XG8A, STP S8A, Baldwin B2 and the Wix Napa Gold I refuse to use.

I thought I'd post an update. I am pleased to report the FL-400S did indeed fix my start up rattle. I had gotten to a point I didn't think any filter would, it was my last attempt. Well it worked, and I gave it a good test too.

Original thread here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2788815#Post2788815

Almost a month and a thousand miles, colder weather than ever, several "perfect storm" scenarios where the Jeep sat for nearly 48 hours in cold weather. No rattle, not even once! And this from a vehicle that had been making racket every third start or so before the switch.

All I changed was the filter and extended my OCI a month. It worked hurrah!

Motorcraft FL-400S for the win!
banana2.gif

This happened to me several years ago with a ST filter on a Ford 4.2. All I did was replaced the ST with a MC FL400S and no more start noise. All I use now are MC filters and run them for 10K.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Maybe I missed it, but what are you running for oil? BlueOvalFitter was using MC FL-400S filters and had some start-up rattle, but fixed his by using semi-synthetic oil instead of conventional oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...907#Post2815907

Running Castrol HM 5w30. Thinner oils did make the duration shorter in the past, but never got rid of it. I started a revolving door of filters that didn't help either. Finally tried the FL-400S as a last ditch resort (it's not a "spec'd" filter for my Jeep, it's actually a Liberty filter) and presto rattle gone.

I was planning on switching to thinner oil for winter as I always do but am thinking it may not be necessary with this filter, but I'll probably do it anyway for cranking purposes as the Castrol HM is thick stuff, even in 5w30.

Also pondering whether or not to switch to the FL-400S year round, whether or not I can hear it the fact it's clearly managing to hold more oil in the top of my engine than anything else, which has to be a good thing year round, rattles or not.

it is GREAT when something like this happens, isn't it?
Sort of like finding out what is making that annoying squeak in the dash---bet you feel like a million bucks!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
So a ford part fixed a Jeep; I guess I understand.

Yep that's pretty much it. My understanding was Ford was having some of the same problems and developed the FL-400s to combat it. Well it works just as well on a Chrysler product as a Ford as it turns out.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20
it is GREAT when something like this happens, isn't it?
Sort of like finding out what is making that annoying squeak in the dash---bet you feel like a million bucks!

Yes, thanks! I was pretty surprised when it stopped immediately, I figured it was too good to be true but nope, a month later and all is still "rattle free" well.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Silicone anti drain back valve. It's what helped the problem.

I'm sure in part, yet several other expensive filters with silicone ADBV's did not, such as a PureOne and the expensive FRAM.
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back