Fram vs Advanced Auto Parts

Originally Posted by bbhero
Never ever saw them in my AAP stores... Not once.

Well, I can't tell you what you have seen or haven't. BUT I don't believe they ever physically hit the shelf, but you could order them off the website. They still have them, that's why I attached the link.

Yeah I get it ..

Just saying I never saw them in my 2 local AAP stores.... And never seen in two local AZ stores either.

I don't buy stuff online hardly ever. Maybe 2 times I have done that.

I know things can be "found or bought" online that never actually show up on the store shelves. . Interesting in this case it has not made it to my store shelves yet.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I wonder if those " products" will ever be in AAP, AZ, OR or Napa ??

My nearest AAP has a Force and Titanium in stock right now for my car (and yours).

Ahh I clearly was talking about the weird new Pennzoil oils.... Pull that whole quote... Not just a small part...

This thread is about Fram / AAP oil filters....

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Heck yes! I bought my second Fram Titanium today and could not be happier with the product or price paid. Titanium #1 was $5.74 and Titanium #2 was $7.86, gotta work the discount game at AAP
smile.gif

Well that's sounding more like I'm now in the buy range for sane people. Until I see them at that price on a regular basis I'll be on the sidelines.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Heck yes! I bought my second Fram Titanium today and could not be happier with the product or price paid. Titanium #1 was $5.74 and Titanium #2 was $7.86, gotta work the discount game at AAP
smile.gif

Well that's sounding more like I'm now in the buy range for sane people. Until I see them at that price on a regular basis I'll be on the sidelines.

I'd pay $10 for the Titanium ... that would be same as an Ultra at Walmart.

I wonder if those " products" will ever be in AAP, AZ, OR or Napa ??

My nearest AAP has a Force and Titanium in stock right now for my car (and yours).

Ahh I clearly was talking about the weird new Pennzoil oils.... Pull that whole quote... Not just a small part...

This thread is about Fram / AAP oil filters....

Ahh pimtac brought up Shell aka Pennzoil oils and all the variety of them.... And then I added to that... All you do sometimes is want to do is argue...

And for the record.... Many threads go different ways... Including ones I actually have started... I am ok with that.

It's part of the game so to speak.... And I understand that...

You make some very good points on here... And I have agreed with you on those numbers of very good points you bring up.

Last edited:
Zee- thank you for posting that conversation. I remember the restriction levels (I screen shot them) Motorking gave for the 4 different levels of filters Fram offered. The Ultra was very close to the Race filter in restriction but Fram also only tested at 3 gpm.
So with "improved flow" is this going to be the same flow with less restriction in your opinion?

I understand the price being higher will shy some people away for what your actually getting. But also IMO someone seeing "improved Flow" on the box and along with the excellent filtering (like the Ultra) they will be making a trip to AAP to buy one of these Titanium filters. Flow/restriction has come up a lot in these oil filter threads over the years.

Lufty
Your Signature says you are serious business on both your oil and oil filter choices.
Brand loyalty is rare nowadays. I want to be like that, when I grow up.

Originally Posted by Lufty
Zee- thank you for posting that conversation. I remember the restriction levels (I screen shot them) Motorking gave for the 4 different levels of filters Fram offered. The Ultra was very close to the Race filter in restriction but Fram also only tested at 3 gpm.
So with "improved flow" is this going to be the same flow with less restriction in your opinion?

I understand the price being higher will shy some people away for what your actually getting. But also IMO someone seeing "improved Flow" on the box and along with the excellent filtering (like the Ultra) they will be making a trip to AAP to buy one of these Titanium filters. Flow/restriction has come up a lot in these oil filter threads over the years.

Yes, their claim of "improved flow" is going to really mean a little less delta-p across the filter at the same viscosity and flow rate. Since engines use a PD oil pump, the flow is essentially the same through the filter, but depending on the filter's flow restriction the delta-p across the filter will vary.

Even just knowing the flow restriction at one data point (given oil viscosity, flow rate and resulting delta-p) is better than nothing. A filter that has less delta-p at 3 gpm is going to also have less delta-p at a higher flow rate with the same oil viscosity. If you've see delta-p vs flow curves you will see that correlation.

^^^ Anytime Lufty ... hope that helps you out. The Titanium looks to be a nice filter. I'd use it over the Ultra if I could get them for the same price.

... But also IMO someone seeing "improved Flow" on the box ... will be making a trip to AAP to buy one of these Titanium filters. Flow/restriction has come up a lot in these oil filter threads over the years.
Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how susceptible to marketing claims naive people can be.

Originally Posted by CR94
... But also IMO someone seeing "improved Flow" on the box ... will be making a trip to AAP to buy one of these Titanium filters. Flow/restriction has come up a lot in these oil filter threads over the years.
Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how susceptible to marketing claims naive people can be.
Its amazing that people are naive that they believe a filter can have increased oil flow, but not naive when they believe a filter when it states it can last 20k miles? Double standard much?

Flow can stay the same amount but changed in direction, so improved flow can work in that sense. Fram uses PowerFlow Technology on the Titanium baseplate which apparently swirls the oil in a circle according to their box graphics. Other companies think a spiral center tube swirls the oil, and louvers play games with oil flow characteristics too. I can't see any of it doing anything, but they do.

It would be interesting to hear the answer as to why the metal seam clamp was considered necessary in the Force but not the TG. The A02 also has this (it is a 20,000 mile filter according to a 2005 Civic repair manual)

I'd pick either of the AAP models over the corresponding regular models at the same pricing simply for the lack of the sure grip or whatever it is called...

They should turn the volume up on the orange paint for the Titanium... An odd name I might add, since titanium is more grayish than black...

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Flow can stay the same amount but changed in direction, so improved flow can work in that sense. Fram uses PowerFlow Technology on the Titanium baseplate which apparently swirls the oil in a circle according to their box graphics. Other companies think a spiral center tube swirls the oil, and louvers play games with oil flow characteristics too. I can't see any of it doing anything, but they do.

Looks more like laminar flow on the graphics to me. Where's the graphics with the swirls?
21.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Looks more like laminar flow on the graphics to me. Where's the graphics with the swirls?
21.gif

[Linked Image]

I think the orange mist on the box is there to depict the POWERFLOW

I think the orange mist on the box is there to depict the POWERFLOW

if you're talking about what looks like water swirling around as it goes down a drain, then there's no way holes in a base plate are going to cause oil to flow like that in an oil filter - especially since the oil flow has to hit the ADBV and change course before it even gets to the pleats. It's all marketing hype. As mentioned before, the total flow area of the base plate holes might be slightly larger, which will indeed cut down the total dealt-p across the filter a little bit.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ Anytime Lufty ... hope that helps you out. The Titanium looks to be a nice filter. I'd use it over the Ultra if I could get them for the same price.

+1

Back