Found this on my parents filter, why?

So I flew down to my parents (87 and 89 years old) house in Florida to take care of a bunch of little things for them and while checking fluid levels and such on their car I noticed this red plastic type stuff on the oil filter housing 2017 Chevy Equinox. Asked them where they have been taking the car for oil changes and they said they take it to Valvoline Instant Oil Change in Orlando. Why would an quick oil change place put that on the filter housing?

IMG_0973.jpeg

Is it a wax? Tape? Maybe a victim of false claims of damage and want to ensure nothing has been altered if a claim comes in? Interested to hear what it is.

It's called a torque seal and it's used to identify if the cap has been turned once the vehicle left the service center. You might find the same marking on the drain plug if you crawl under the vehicle. It's sort of a CYA tactic.

One thing to note, their technique is incredibly sloppy and obviously done by an amateur. The normal technique would be to put a simple bead of seal across one section of the housing/cap interface.

1705269394133.jpg

It sure looks like wax. Probably insurance against tampering. I have never seen this on an oil filter housing. I've seen a dab of paint on bolt heads and MAF sensor housing screws and similar.

It's called a torque seal and it's used to identify if the cap has been turned once the vehicle left the service center. You might find the same marking on the drain plug if you crawl under the vehicle. It's sort of a CYA tactic.

One thing to note, their technique is incredibly sloppy and obviously done by an amateur. The normal technique would be to put a simple bead of seal across one section of the housing/cap interface.

View attachment 198489
I see it online. It comes in many pretty colors. Could put it on wheel bolts/lug nuts.

It’s a torque detection marker. This one is a bit sloppy. A single wax bead, if broken, reveals a deviation from the previously set torque. It’s supposed to be a single neat line, but I guess you could use a paint brush or your finger and slop it on. What else is new?

Last edited:
I have two vehicles with cartridge type filters. I put typewriter correction fluid on the mounting flange and a corresponding mark on the filter housing, before ever changing the oil. I did this as a reference to keep me from over tightening the filter cap.

What - Torque seal. Super common in the electrical industry. Prevents loosing from vibration or heat and acts a visible indication that it has been torqued.

Why - Cause Cletus at the quick lube probably found a new toy and fancies it.

I have seen something like that (a paint stripe across the filter/mount joint) applied by the owner so they can verify that the filter was actually changed.

I can't remember exactly what it is called, but it's an anti-tamper seal. I have a tube of it in one of my cars. Mine is blue.

My Volvo dealer all the way back in the early eighties was writing the mileage and date on the filters with a Sharpie. Too many customers rolling in saying they got their oil changed regularly only for the dealer find it sludged up. It all started when the husband would buy the wife a new BMW which they also sold. The first and only time the dealer would see the car was at the Free break-in oil change around 1000-1200 miles. Wife would have the car towed in with a seized cam shaft usually between 30K and 35K and a sludged up motor. Then expect BMW to fix it for free under warranty. Funny thing they never seemed to have any receipts for any other oil changes or services since the free break in oil change.

What - Torque seal. Super common in the electrical industry. Prevents loosing from vibration or heat and acts a visible indication that it has been torqued.

Why - Cause Cletus at the quick lube probably found a new toy and fancies it.
Back before the war, when we aligned transceivers on the test bench the trim pots on the pcb would get a dab of Glyptal to hold the setting and to show it was tested.

Back