STP S10158XL or Fram Ultra XG10158 for '16 Toyota 4Runner?

I'm doing an oil change on neighbors 4Runner in the morning before they go visit family with issues. I would have preferred to get the factory Toyota YZZA5 but not an option at this point. Maintenance light is already on, no clue how long. Last OCI was in August, not sure on mileage but they are at like 155k iirc so like 15-20k per year normally. Oil is a 1/4 qt down from full line but dirty. Oil will be Valvoline Restore and Protect 0W-20 that I already picked up.

I have both filters, price difference is about $4 (Fram costs more) and I can return either one. They are not great with keeping up on oil changes, trying to help maybe get that on track.

For those that reply, which filter would you recommend and why? I'll be doing it at like 8am.
IMG_6339.jpg

Another benefit of the Ultra a is it will wave at you later. Very friendly. 🤣
The STP seems to waving before we start. Even more friendly.

Check the ultra if its wired backed if so use it, if not go with the STP XL.
No wire backing on either one. The Fram has much tighter pleat spacing. Only thing I see on a larger space is where the media is crimped together. I wonder if any issues like @wwillson saw?

I “like” the STP better but the Ultra has a longer mileage rating which would probably be preferable since the time in use may be excessive. Given that I’d use the Ultra.

Can’t believe I just typed that I’m gonna get booted by the cool kids @Zee09 .
The STP lists 10k, Fram lists 20k. Any clue what the factory Toyota one rates for? The 4Runner forum things I read say that the MM is set for 5k (tire rotation and others) and 10k for the OCI. It's a fixed set point from what they say. 5K from when you reset it.

STP XL
IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6340.jpg

Fram Ultra
IMG_6343.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

I'd go with a different filter than those 2 or run them short in hopes they don't tear.

They're about the same; doesn't really matter much. Especially with the venerable 1GR-FE. I do 5k oil changes on my 4runner because my wife short trips it every day and us Royal Purple 20-968's that I got for 13 bucks from RP Direct, but I would use either one of those you have or the OEM without worry if it all I could get. Personally, I'd say with the situation you have with their OCI's, it is more about the oil than the filter.

Thank you everyone. I went with the Fram for the 20k rating and my observation for pleat spacing etc. I told them when the MM turns on which will be 5k, to get it done or see me and we will do it. Looking at inspection sticker from mid February, they have gone 6k miles since then and he said last OCI was in August, unknown oil/filter.

Filter housing and drain plug were WAY over torqued. 2 skid plate/plastic shield bolts were snapped off in the skid plate (got them out also).

Here is the filter that came out.
IMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6353.jpg

IMG_6354.jpg

IMG_6355.jpg

Some of the cartridge XG’s are dual layer over nylon mesh
(Have one in my Jeep) …
XG10575’s: weak paper with a spray then called “synthetic”
(Maybe they hide the cheaper media in the can style filters)

Thank you everyone. I went with the Fram for the 20k rating and my observation for pleat spacing etc. I told them when the MM turns on which will be 5k, to get it done or see me and we will do it. Looking at inspection sticker from mid February, they have gone 6k miles since then and he said last OCI was in August, unknown oil/filter.

Filter housing and drain plug were WAY over torqued. 2 skid plate/plastic shield bolts were snapped off in the skid plate (got them out also).

Here is the filter that came out.
View attachment 214186
View attachment 214187
View attachment 214188
View attachment 214189
Appears to be a Purolator Tech oil filter so they were probably getting it done at a service shop. Thanks for the extra pics.

Appears to be a Purolator Tech oil filter so they were probably getting it done at a service shop. Thanks for the extra pics.
Yes, but last known in August '23 and they went 6k in less than 2 months.

Wasn't burning any that I can tell. The 6.6 qts brought it right back to about 1/4" from full mark. I put another 6 ounces in and it's full now.

Yes, but last known in August '23 and they went 6k in less than 2 months.

Wasn't burning any that I can tell. The 6.6 qts brought it right back to about 1/4" from full mark. I put another 6 ounces in and it's full now.
Good deal, those tech's are nothing special but it appears it took some of the abuse just fine.

Back