Found some 25k mile OCI Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to have a commercial on TV with a map of the USA, and a graphic showing 8 coast to coast crossings without an oil change.

I didn't believe it, and am glad I did not. About the same era, maybe a little earlier, was ARCO Graphite, which had graphite in suspension in the oil. When you were pouring the oil into the engine, it was already black.

quote:

JakeR22:
Did Smokey Yunick write the posted oil article for Popular Science?

He spoke quite a bit about "All Proof" in his books. Said it was the best thing at the time. I wonder what happened to that company? ....

No, he's quoted in the article describing his experience with All Proof (after a race the honing marks were still on the cylinders).

Speaking of unopened cans, I have an unopened can of All Proof.

They were bottling the stuff up in Wisconsin, and then their sales headquarters moved to Florida, and then they just disappeared.

This stuff was good at cleanning an engine out. My MGA had gunk all over the dipstick after a few thousand miles on this stuff so I changed it at about 7000 miles. Would love to see a VOA of this stuff. It could really clean out the gunk left by dino oils of the time.

I put the can on ebay, sold it for $10 which was my starting bid.

I kinda regret it now, but oh well, it was fee.

I made a sorta similar find to this years ago as well. In about 1986, my Godfather gave my father his 1976 AMC Gremlin. He had had it since new and had done nothing but short city trips with it and parked it indoors, so it had low miles, but was pretty shot. (It still had bias-plies on it!) It sat in out laneway for a year or so before we sold it for parts. Before it went, I went through it to see if there was anything interesting in it, and I found a round can of oil in the back. I don't remeber the make, but it was dino oil in a 10W-30 weight. I knew it was old, so I hung onto it. I kept it for years and years, and then for some unfathomable reason, I made use of it in the mid-1990's - I borrowed a friends car that leaked oil like a seive, and it ran really low on oil, so instead of going out and buying oil, I dumped in this can of 15 or so year old oil, 'cause I didn't know what I was going to do if I kept hanging on to it!

In this part of the country if the original Mobil! was run 25,000 miles the engine would be full of sludge.Perhaps for ideal driving conditions you could get by with 25,000 but any oil may/could do that.Also a lot of engines had cam lobe failures when it was used that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back