Found some 25k mile OCI Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I believe M1 came out in '74.

Those photos I posted of the June 1976 PS story states that as of 1976 Mobil 1 was being test marketed in few locations so I was not out in 1974: New York; Albany, Schenectady, Troy and Syracuse; Boston; Milwaukee; Minneapolis and St Paul; Portland, OR; Providence, R.I.; Bellingham, Seattle and Tacoma, Washington. It may be put into nationwide distribution soon but the decision has not been made.

I got the dates wrong on when I started using it. While it was in my 1975 Blazer I was not untill sometime in 1976.

Guy I worked with ran Mobil 1 in his Ford LTD for over 200,000 miles. The first engine had over 100,000 miles when he overheated 3 times from a bad radiator. After that, the engine went downhill and started using oil very bad. He changed engines and ran Mobil 1 again till the car was rear ended around 1982. He would run 25,000 miles. I has switched over to Amsoil in 1977.

[ October 25, 2005, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Throw it in the lawnmower. It's worthless unless some oil junkie is looking for something like this to add to their Mobil 1 display case.
lol.gif

Mike and JakeR22 - Those are great pics! I remember that Popular Science issue and those oil cans.

I recall reading in one of those mid-70's Popular Science articles about a Ford engineer who used the Mobil 1 5W-20 in his Lincoln and he was quoted to say that in the summer months at idle his oil pressure light would frequently come on, but no damage to his engine because of the superior oil ... yada, yada.

I didn't know that in the late 70's/early 80's Mobil 1 was sold in a 5W-30.

After a little sniffing around on Google, I found this little gem on everyone's favorite oil website, synlube.com (
rolleyes.gif
):

Mobil test markets Mobil 1 synthetic SAE 5W-20 "synthesized engine lubricant"

Mobil 1 goes national in USA and changes the product description to "synthetic" motor oil

Mobil introduces second generation synthetic motor oil Mobil 1 available as SAE 5W-30 and 15W-50

So much for 1972, but I was close... That can really brings back some memories. I never used M1 in the shiny can days, but I was always impressed with the look of it.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
After a little sniffing around on Google, I found this little gem on everyone's favorite oil website, synlube.com (
rolleyes.gif
):

Mobil test markets Mobil 1 synthetic SAE 5W-20 "synthesized engine lubricant"

Mobil 1 goes national in USA and changes the product description to "synthetic" motor oil

Mobil introduces second generation synthetic motor oil Mobil 1 available as SAE 5W-30 and 15W-50

I don't think these numbers are right. I'm pretty sure the 15w50 grade didn't come out until the late 80s.

When Mobil introduced this oil, it was priced at $5.25 per quart in most markets. After a couple years, it could be had for $5.15 and $4.99 on sale, but that was rare. Yes, I used this from the first availability. Amzoil was just coming on the Radar screen during this period. Being first did not make Amzoil a National product. (now Amsoil for you nit pickers)

Smokey and Popular Mechanics/Popular Science probably did more to put Mobil 1 on the map than anything else. It put Mobil 1 in the forefront, and they have never had to look back or take a back seat to any oil.

In 1975, I ran Mobil 1 in my 1974 Mazda RX-4 and I was running Amzoil in my 59 Corvette, and did until I sold it a couple years ago.

smile.gif

Jake that sounds like the original Mobil 1 that came out about 1974 it was a 5w20 vis. Mobil did recomend 25,000 miles between drains. They stopped that a fews years later due to a lot of engine failure claims. That oil was just to thin to protect engines made back then, most car makers recomendations were 10w40 and 20w50 and there clearances justified that viscosity. JAKE want ever you do dont let anything happen to that container, could be worth up to $200.00 dollars or even more to a collecter.

Jake that sounds like the original Mobil 1 that came out about 1974 it was a 5w20 vis. Mobil did recomend 25,000 miles between drains. They stopped that a fews years later due to a lot of engine failure claims. That oil was just to thin to protect engines made back then, most car makers recomendations were 10w40 and 20w50 and there clearances justified that viscosity. JAKE want ever you do dont let anything happen to that container, could be worth up to $200.00 dollars or even more to a collecter.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
That can is from somewhere about the mid to late 70's.

Could be as late as the mid 80s. First time I used Mobil 1 was in 86 and that's what the can looked like (including the 25,000 mile/1 year language).

If the grade is 5w20, then it's a very early Mobil 1 can. The first Mobil 1 sold in the US was 5w20, sometime around 78-79 I believe.

Pretty sure it first came out in the early 70s, 1972 sticks in my mind. I can recall M1 metal cans from my HS days (I'm class of 79, age 44). I started using M1 myself in the mid-80s, and at that time, it already came in the round plastic bottles that look pretty much like ones Redline still uses. Of course, there may have been plenty of the metal can stock still available at that time, but I got mine in the bottles. Last oil I punched open with a metal spout was the Quaker State I used in 83-84.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
I remember the original Mobil 1 25,000 mile oil.

My father in law used it religiously every 25,000 or 1 year in al his new cars. He drove more than 25,000 per year.

By the time the engines had 120K on them they were very noisy and sounded beat up. They switched over to dino and dragged them out to 160K before failure... but they were oil burners by 100K to 120K.

Finally, a person who backs me up and all my claims about Synth Oil wrecking up engines.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Pretty sure it first came out in the early 70s, 1972 sticks in my mind. I can recall M1 metal cans from my HS days (I'm class of 79, age 44). I started using M1 myself in the mid-80s, and at that time, it already came in the round plastic bottles that look pretty much like ones Redline still uses. Of course, there may have been plenty of the metal can stock still available at that time, but I got mine in the bottles. Last oil I punched open with a metal spout was the Quaker State I used in 83-84.

I was born in 79 (LoL) so i dont remember those days to well but i would be interested in a pic also.

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:

quote:

My father in law used it religiously every 25,000 or 1 year in al his new cars. He drove more than 25,000 per year.

By the time the engines had 120K on them they were very noisy and sounded beat up. They switched over to dino and dragged them out to 160K before failure... but they were oil burners by 100K to 120K.

Finally, a person who backs me up and all my claims about Synth Oil wrecking up engines.

lol.gif
LOL, you have got to be kidding me. Sure, condemn synthetic oil based on one users experience. Makes sense to me.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
The one thing I noticed on the back of the can is the same thing Mobil 1 says about their Extended Protection oils today - "New car owners follow warranty instructions."

If that were my oil can, I'd probably sell it on eBay.
shocked.gif

I'll probably put it on ebay and see what happens. If it does bring close to $200 like someone said above, it's way more important to that person then it is to me,
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
When Mobil introduced this oil, it was priced at $5.25 per quart in most markets. After a couple years, it could be had for $5.15 and $4.99 on sale, but that was rare. Yes, I used this from the first availability. Amzoil was just coming on the Radar screen during this period. Being first did not make Amzoil a National product. (now Amsoil for you nit pickers)

Smokey and Popular Mechanics/Popular Science probably did more to put Mobil 1 on the map than anything else. It put Mobil 1 in the forefront, and they have never had to look back or take a back seat to any oil.

In 1975, I ran Mobil 1 in my 1974 Mazda RX-4 and I was running Amzoil in my 59 Corvette, and did until I sold it a couple years ago.

smile.gif

Did Smokey Yunick write the posted oil article for Popular Science?

He spoke quite a bit about "All Proof" in his books. Said it was the best thing at the time. I wonder what happened to that company?

Not sure why he ever got behind "Pro-Blend."
rolleyes.gif

I'm a big Smokey fan though.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:

quote:

quote:

lol.gif
LOL, you have got to be kidding me. Sure, condemn synthetic oil based on one users experience. Makes sense to me.
rolleyes.gif

Obviously, I'm not one of the 'synth oil wrecks engines' guys.

My comment was based on my observation that Mobil 1 at 25,000 mile intervals didn't work so well in the early 80's. But it did work to some degree even with regular filters and electrionic carbs.

It didn't kill the engines my father in-law used it in...it just didn't work as well as I'd like.

Most of us here at bitog wouldn't run Mobil 1 at 25K OCI's now. We sure wouldn't run an oil filter for 25K.

I'd say that we value our increasingly expensive engines and run even top synthetic oils , on average, at 5K or 7K up to 10K intervals. We look for better oil filters and sometimes change them in the middle of an oil change interval.

And, most of us would probably run an oil analysis.

Forget ebay, it will get lost in the clutter amidst all the french frys with Elvis' profile. Just offer it in the "for sale" section here for $20.

quote:

quote:

Give it a rest. I was actually there and used the product at the time. I bought a new 1980 Toyota and it had 10K mile oil changes of M1 from the first change at 3000 miles until I sold it with over 160K miles showing. The first few fills of M1 were 5W-20 and later I used the 5W-30.

When I sold it the car still had good compession and used about 1 quart of oil in a 10K interval. That doesn't sound wrecked or worn out to me...

I suppose you might be right about the problems with running the old M1 25K miles. But that says a lot about the OIC and little about the oil to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back