Fortune 500 companies soliciting donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same game different field...anyone here remember the United Way extortion collection rallies at the office? :D
Yes, my first job out of college was a Fortune 500, and they did that. Apparently if you were high enough up the food chain and didn't donate enough of your salary, your manager was supposed to have a meeting with you to discuss how important giving was. I presume it also meant you weren't getting a promotion if you didn't either.

Yes, my first job out of college was a Fortune 500, and they did that. Apparently if you were high enough up the food chain and didn't donate enough of your salary, your manager was supposed to have a meeting with you to discuss how important giving was. I presume it also meant you weren't getting a promotion if you didn't either.
Oh yes and it wasn't just high up, reached the bottom in some institutions. First job, I was a first year Auditor (making peanuts BTW) for an old 'white shoe' Massachusetts bank and had been out doing the year-end work for 6 weeks or so and had not submitted my pledge card out of plain oversight. Came back to a note from the VP of Admin on my desk summoning me to his office. Me a 1yr being called up to the 'Green (carpet) Hall', no bueno... Go to his office and there is a blank pledge card and I sit through 10 painful minutes of an irritating, pompous, condescending speech on giving back, understanding the less fortunates, etc., then I complete my card.

I'd have respected him more if he had said; "Hey Knucklehead, I don't care if you do, I care if you don't and it's one of those things...so just do it..."

I'm over 20k in 2023. Excessive IMO and I don't get town garbage, water, or sewer.
Guessing your town has little industry/ commercial to fill gap? Lots of kids? I still regret not buying in neighboring town with half my $9800 tax bill on my $850k property . That being said no income tax is great.

Apparently I’m being extorted out of $100/month and -/+$10 for this other serious problem covered here …

Guessing your town has little industry/ commercial to fill gap? Lots of kids? I still regret not buying in neighboring town with half my $9800 tax bill on my $850k property . That being said no income tax is great.

Not at all. My town is a thriving one with lots of commercial and residential properties. Town taxes are low comparatively speaking. My town is one where Republicans run for office unopposed for multiple cycles. Taxes are low, crime is low, great parks and sports facilities for kids and familes, rail trail, etc.. The massive tax costs come largely from schools. Dutchess County is far from the social service giveaways that Westchester and some other counties provide. My home and property in most Westchester tows would be $35k+. That is how bad it has gotten and why the flight to other states.

I tend to round up my change to the next buck if a merchant is running a charitable cause. I’ll also participate in those feed a family boxes at the grocery. If you step out of your ugly box once in a while you’ll get the bigger picture. You’re participating in a greater cause the Fortune 500 company isn’t making money off you there’s often time with shareholders etc they need to shed cash and earnings and if you look into it they’re most likely matching dollar for dollar contributions.

The cashier doesnt care if you donate. The cashier cares about you paying for the original product and getting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back