Fortune 500 companies soliciting donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go food shopping every week and have to hear the cashier ask me if I want to round up for the local food bank. This week it was a $10 donation. I say no and they always try to make you feel bad about saying no. If I want to donate to a cause, I will do it on my accord and not through some multi billion dollar corporation using its customers as donation pawns.

I don't like that practice regardless of the cause. I don't like to be solicited in a venue I feel I shouldn't be. Grocery store is one of em. You can't escape it at self-checkout either. Similar feelings at NFL games for the last few years. Few weeks ago in Philly horrid chicken stips with just as bad crinkle fries w/ a souvenir cup drink $28 and the I-Pad asking for my tip amount. I'm a 20% tipper most often but not happening in that circumstance.

I say "most often" due to some of the services received post-Covid. Never have I seen so many instances of could care less service as post-Covid. I'm grateful those workers have been weeded out in my area and that isn't the feeling I get anymore. And grateful for the ones that are now in their place.

At which Fortune 500 company do you shop?

ODD: The "Round Up" charitable solicitations I see at self check-out lanes are to the next higher dollar.
If the purchase is an even dollar amount (no cents), does the request bounce up to $10?

FYI: I once mistakenly hit the "yes" button to the contribution.
The helper (super nice lady) cleared it and said, "Nobody likes this".

At which Fortune 500 company do you shop?

ODD: The "Round Up" charitable solicitations I see at self check-out lanes are to the next higher dollar.
If the purchase is an even dollar amount (no cents), does the request bounce up to $10?

FYI: I once mistakenly hit the "yes" button to the contribution.
The helper (super nice lady) cleared it and said, "Nobody likes this".

I think you're north of me. The Fishkill, NY Wally self-checkout displays a $5, $10, & $20 before finalizing the sale. I've seen round-up in a few spots as well. IIRC Wally has this about once a quarter for various entities. I usually duck tech for actual human interaction but have to admit I love the scan/pay APP Sam's Club offers. With 17, 15, and 12 year olds at home, heavily into sports and working out; I spend a lot of time at these venues! Not to mention coin!

I avoid traditional grocery stores, I hate the games they play. Have to have their savings card, then they want you to install their app on your phone to digitally clip coupons. Trader Joe's, Aldi and Costco don't play any of these games or ask me to donate.

F500 companies aren't taking the money. These charitable organizations use high volume/high traffic stores and areas to solicit donations directly from consumers/people.

It's the same principle as seeing a Red Cross advertisement on CNN or Fox.

That said, I don't like it much either simply because I never know what percentage of my donation actually goes to that service.

Goodwill is the closest thing I can think of to which you describe. They take in donations and then sell them back at a profit for themselves. I'm not a fan of them.

I never play the round-up game. And the "causes" are vague at best. For education; for at-risk teens; to fight hunger. No clue where the donations actually go. Yes, I could probably go to the particular retailer's web site and find out more. But no, thanks.

I think you're north of me. The Fishkill, NY Wally self-checkout displays a $5, $10, & $20 before finalizing the sale. I've seen round-up in a few spots as well. IIRC Wally has this about once a quarter for various entities. I usually duck tech for actual human interaction but have to admit I love the scan/pay APP Sam's Club offers. With 17, 15, and 12 year olds at home, heavily into sports and working out; I spend a lot of time at these venues! Not to mention coin!
I’m a Dutchess County native here rented in wappingers falls and 5 mins from the fishkill Walmart. Owned a house in Poughkeepsie now living here in SC

I’ll round up, it’s less than a $1. I hardly shop, my wife does most of it, so it’s not an issue for me.

With the decline of religion in the western world, I doubt there's as much giving as there used to be. I've never been guilted by cashier for saying no. I'll do the roundup sometimes, but I am generally skeptical of a lot of charities. Too much money goes to administration, the same issue most US colleges have.

I go food shopping every week and have to hear the cashier ask me if I want to round up for the local food bank. This week it was a $10 donation. I say no and they always try to make you feel bad about saying no. If I want to donate to a cause, I will do it on my accord and not through some multi billion dollar corporation using its customers as donation pawns.
I just tell them I donated last time I came in. They always say thanks and leave it at that.

I’m a Dutchess County native here rented in wappingers falls and 5 mins from the fishkill Walmart. Owned a house in Poughkeepsie now living here in SC

Great place to live but unfortunately the State Gov't has no bounds of spending money they didn't earn. About 5 years from now my youngest kid should be in college and I'm likely going to be a FL resident. Looking at Siesta Key area. Love where I live now with property on a small mountain, neighbors are a good distance away and we all respect that, no street lights, etc.. But the taxes have gotten out of control.

With the decline of religion in the western world, I doubt there's as much giving as there used to be. I've never been guilted by cashier for saying no. I'll do the roundup sometimes, but I am generally skeptical of a lot of charities. Too much money goes to administration, the same issue most US colleges have.

I'm less inclined to blame decline of religion but sure do believe the number of not-for-profits with unscrupulous leadership and CEO-type salaries has many people turned off. BLM is an extreme example but a good one. Tunnel to Towers appears to have remained true over the years with 90%+ of donations going to the cause.

Great place to live but unfortunately the State Gov't has no bounds of spending money they didn't earn. About 5 years from now my youngest kid should be in college and I'm likely going to be a FL resident. Looking at Siesta Key area. Love where I live now with property on a small mountain, neighbors are a good distance away and we all respect that, no street lights, etc.. But the taxes have gotten out of control.
My taxes for a .20 acre lot and a 800sq ft bungalow in Hyde park/pok was 6500 in 2021

My taxes for a .20 acre lot and a 800sq ft bungalow in Hyde park/pok was 6500 in 2021
I'm over 20k in 2023. Excessive IMO and I don't get town garbage, water, or sewer.
I am suddenly no longer upset at my $1,600 on 2 acres.

But yeah, they ain’t getting a penny more than what I owe. They brag about their profits then turn around and do that crap, get out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back