Forester tapping/ Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I know it was lifter tapping? I would drive along by a curb and hear tapa tapa tapa etc. Based on prior experience I assumed it was lifter noise. I changed to the Mobil one and the tapa tapa tapa etc seems to be significantly reduced. My guess, a lifter was not pumping up completely. Either the better flow characteristics or detergency of the Mobil One resolved the issue. Having said all of that, I do tax work not automotive engineering.

I will admit that any oil change seems to improve my overall karma.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Gary, you are obviously very intelligent but for the life of me I don't understand how you don't see that when given the opportunity to say something negative about Mobil you often do. This thread is a classic example of this behavior that you often times exhibit but continually deny. Did you or did you not attempt that precise behavior in this thread???

Show me where? Quote it. M1 is a fine product. While I'm sure that every M1 product doesn't perform well in all circumstances (no product will for all situations) ..on average it does well.

Quote that the next time you say that I'm bashing the product. What you saw was me (incorrectly in this instance) was preempting the shills and the mice by delivering their spew in advance ..further demonstrating the predictable standard fare spew that seems to pour forth.

You can figure that out. Not one bash on M1. M1 shills. you betca

Hi,
Gary - I for one find your denigration of others here in this Thread as very unbecoming of you - a Marketer of a competitor's product

You are above this type of behaviour surely!

If you judge me in the "shills and mice" and "spew" comments you've sure lost my respect!!!! It may be time for you to take a break.......

Originally Posted By: charleshickman
How do I know it was lifter tapping? I would drive along by a curb and hear tapa tapa tapa etc. Based on prior experience I assumed it was lifter noise. I changed to the Mobil one and the tapa tapa tapa etc seems to be significantly reduced. My guess, a lifter was not pumping up completely. Either the better flow characteristics or detergency of the Mobil One resolved the issue. Having said all of that, I do tax work not automotive engineering.

I firmly believe that some engines simply prefer different oils. Sometime the correction of a problem coincides with an oil change, sometimes a certain oil just works better in that particular engine. It's not always a placebo effect, and different oils (even of a similar viscosity) can make a difference, I've experienced it myself numerous times. It looks like your engine prefers M1.

Perhaps I do, Doug. I have tried many times in the past to solicit plausible explanation for unexplainable behaviors. No one has taken on the challenge. M1 will never love anyone back no matter how much anyone hugs the bottle. Amsoil won't either, nor PZ, QS, etc..etc.

Now cars, I can sorta see some allegiance to them. We've been brought up making them part of either or personality, ego, or presumed "self image". All emotional underpinnings.

But I'd say that we should always be self aware to a critical degree and challenge our own behavior. Can everyone here pass their own test? Very few ever sign up for the exam. The person in the mirror always appears well centered and practically perfect by most measures.

Doug, you're a remarkable man with a remarkable experience and knowledge base.

Gary,
I have only spoken of mine and others that I know, the experience we have had with M1 oils. I have never critized another product, and fully realize they are mostly very good. I suppose that makes me a pitchman to some for M1, but that's not my intent. Sorry if that irratates you. I Certainly don't mean to. Oh! By the way. I really enjoyed thet old movie with George C. Scott. playing the role of the "Flim Flam Man".

But, Tig ....I think for the most part, the majority of your posts could vary ...hmmm..4 or 5 tape & pastes could be done by a 'bot. There has to be more to your purpose here than to repeatedly ..and I do mean repeatedly ..redundantly ..over and over again ..posting of your lackluster escapades of you and some fraternity of diy oil changers having no problems with M1.

I mean, it's a free country ..but if you saw me standing on some corner doing the same thing over and over again, ..even make it on the sidewalk outside of a quick lube ...wouldn't it strike you as ...strange?

I guess not.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Can't be. Tig and his friends have used it for million of miles combined without issue. That's proof enough that you're obviously mistaken. I think he'd recommend a qualified mechanic to find the obvious mechanical issue that can't possibly be related to M1. Sorry, you have a defective car.

Now did I tell you that my grandfather smoked to the age of 91? There you go..proof positive that smoking is perfectly fine. Those who get respiratory issues obviously have defective lungs.

I understand that Gary misread the OP's message but if anything he is DEFENDING Mobil 1 and how the OP might have a larger issue than what he(Gary) perceived to Mobil 1 causing the tapping!! Unless there is a deeper underlying issue in other threads between the quibbers in this thread that I don't know about. Just trying to extend an olive branch to all. Its the HOLIDAYS! Be merry and prosper.

Last edited:
The 03' 3.0L Caravan of my mother that maybe shouldn't be even driving at 84yrs was clanking lifters big time after the free for 70000mi Chrysler oil changes quit and went 10000 on the bulk oil last change.

I added Risolene for 100 mi or so and dumped it- filthy old oil.

No improvement on the lifter clatter after 5 qts of fresh 10w30 GTX.

I added a QT of MMO and dumped at 1000mi. Adding Mystic 10w30 hedo blend & filter it quieted down nicely in a short time & no more clatter smooth & quiet.

Still runs nice & quiet at 5000mi on this last change & will be putting QS 10w30 full syn (4x4 Hi-torque) so its called and expect no problem.

The thing uses no oil & runs very well & has good power for a little V6 in a big car. So a valve clatter is not an automatic mechanical issue.

This is a pushrod motor.

Last edited:
Gary,
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
But, Tig ....I think for the most part, the majority of your posts could vary ...hmmm..4 or 5 tape & pastes could be done by a 'bot. There has to be more to your purpose here than to repeatedly ..and I do mean repeatedly ..redundantly ..over and over again ..posting of your lackluster escapades of you and some fraternity of diy oil changers having no problems with M1.

I mean, it's a free country ..but if you saw me standing on some corner doing the same thing over and over again, ..even make it on the sidewalk outside of a quick lube ...wouldn't it strike you as ...strange?

I guess not.

Gary,
I was posting to the OP who is new here, not you or anyone else. Again , no need to be insulting toward me or others. You theorize there is more to my posting than sharing my long experience with a product, heck I've even been accused of working for XM.

Quote:
You theorize there is more to my posting than sharing my long experience with a product, heck I've even been accused of working for XM.

No, I assert that there is nothing more to your posting ..that it would be very odd. You've broadened your scope a tad recently, but take a trip back in your post history ..and it's a straight line.

I've consumed more oil with M1

I've used it for 40 years ..friends too, never a problem for millions of combined miles

I've got a bit of a tick with m1

I've used it for 40 years ..friends too, never a problem with 10k OCIs.

etc ..etc.

I know you don't want me to enumerate and cite post after post. I bet I can manage a couple of thousand that say that ..and just about ONLY that.

Is that not true?

..and I'll ask you the same question I've asked others. What would motivate someone without a, perhaps undisclosed, vested interest in a product, to endlessly promote it? What's in it for them.

Would anyone join a Honda board, not seeking insight ..not seeking help with this or that, but to ..at every opportunity "that's odd, I've owned Honda's since they imported them 40 years ago, never a problem for over 200k each ..lots of friends too.

My wheel bearing went bad.

That's odd. Never had a problem with mine..all 12 of them in the extended family and friend Honda network that I formed. Are you sure you didn't do something wrong to them?

That wouldn't strike you as just a bit odd?

Again, it's a free country. Carry on.

Gary this is unlike the Gary I first met when I began to read the BITOG forum. In those days you one of the first to stick to the topic, provide input and steer away from the side tracking stirring.

Last edited:
The shilling reality has caused me to shout at the invisible elephant in the room. I too do not like what I've evolved into as of late. The shear ...hmmm..."sour" background static is way too loud for me. I often imagine being a goal keeper who manages quite well ..only to find that they just up the shots on goal to make the effort useless.

To remain silent is a passive "pocket endorsement" of the plainly apparent undisclosed agenda driven activity. Candor and honesty ..something everyone should practice and more importantly demand ..is fogged over with some mist of deception. Again, my overall naivete is exposed in that I cannot just take this type of behavior for granted as part of the pathetic human condition ..and leave it unchallenged.

Mobil 1 is the number one selling motor oil! There must be a reason for that,right? There must be more cars on the road using M1 than any other oil. Tig is not alone. Amsoil on the other hand, well, you know.

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
Mobil 1 is the number one selling motor oil! There must be a reason for that,right? There must be more cars on the road using M1 than any other oil. Tig is not alone. Amsoil on the other hand, well, you know.

I wouldn't know, but I somehow doubt that more cars have synthetic oil in them than conventional.

Now if you're saying the best selling synthetic motor oil, then I think you would make a little more sense.

Tig's not alone? As far as experience, no doubt. In behavior? Join him in the redundant drone if you subscribe to that type of behavior. over ..and over ...and over again.

Amsoil? Much smaller company. Different target market. XOM gave up on extended drains for about 30 years. Amsoil appeared to be the only one marketing that kind of oil. EP finally came out.

Your point?

Originally Posted By: buster
Amsoil's 4-balls wearing test says otherwise.

If any oil will keep my two balls from wearing out, I'll happily use it.

Porkchop01, don't mind Gary. He got caught with his pants down in this thread and is still fuming. Be careful about praising Mobli, you might be accused of working for them or of erratic behavior. It is too bad that some people don't understand that you don't have to be paid by a company to be loyal. What's sad is the obvious conflict of interest which is raising a lot of eyebrows and yet this Amsoil dealer continues to attack those who are loyal to Mobil. Very disappointing and, quite frankly, tasteless behavior.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa
Porkchop01, don't mind Gary. He got caught with his pants down in this thread and is still fuming. Be careful about praising Mobli, you might be accused of working for them or of erratic behavior. It is too bad that some people don't understand that you don't have to be paid by a company to be loyal. What's sad is the obvious conflict of interest which is raising a lot of eyebrows and yet this Amsoil dealer continues to attack those who are loyal to Mobil. Very disappointing and, quite frankly, tasteless behavior.

I see the reading skills have improved. Comprehension ...well,
56.gif
Have a nice day.

XOM makes great products. I don't work for XOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back