Forester tapping/ Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 2010 Subaru Forester with around 7,200 miles. I did an oil change at 1,000 with SuperTech and no new filter. Second oil change @ 3,000 was a dealer freebe. They said they use Pennzoil. The engine had pronounced lifter tapping. I just changed the oil and put in 5w-30 Mobil 1. The lifter tap seems to have gone away. I have a substantial stash of Synpower. I hope my experience with it is as positive.

Can't be. Tig and his friends have used it for million of miles combined without issue. That's proof enough that you're obviously mistaken. I think he'd recommend a qualified mechanic to find the obvious mechanical issue that can't possibly be related to M1. Sorry, you have a defective car.

Now did I tell you that my grandfather smoked to the age of 91? There you go..proof positive that smoking is perfectly fine. Those who get respiratory issues obviously have defective lungs.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Gary - Perhaps you should re-read the OP

I concur Doug. I think Gary read the title and instantly assumed that the Mobil had CAUSED the tapping.... Rather than curing it, which is what the OP's post actually indicates.

Gary, your true colors are showing again. Come on, admit what everyone here knows, you dislike Mobil.

My personal experience with this is that the filter is to blame here, not the oil...

I swapped the aftermarket oil filter with an OEM one, and the noise went away.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
My personal experience with this is that the filter is to blame here, not the oil...

I concur. If the next one's a dealer freebie, bring in your own oil filter. Or do like I do and never take the car back to the stealership ever!

Originally Posted By: buster
Amsoil's 4-balls wearing test says otherwise.

Where do these four balls exist in the Forester's engine? It's good to know they're well protected.
56.gif

charles, you'll be absolutely fine with your massive stash of Synpower. Use a quality filter and whatever appropriate grade of oil you have on hand with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Gary, your true colors are showing again. Come on, admit what everyone here knows, you dislike Mobil.

Not so, my shilling dear Capa. I have used M1 for decades just like my dear friend Tig.

What I dislike are undisclosed shills and people who react like rats in a lab experiment.

..but those who said I reacted to the title are correct.

If I was seriously responding to such a post, I'd say that there is authoritative rhetoric that supports the school of thought that different base stock composition can produce different tonal characteristics in some engines.

I would also say that it would be nothing more than an annoyance and that it would have nothing to do with suitability of the lubricant for engine protection.

XOM makes great products.

Which office are you out of, Capa? You're much better than Tig.

Gary, my dear friend, you mention that you don't like people that react like lab rats yet given the opportunity you bash Mobil instictively like, well like a lab rat. You did precisely that in this thread. Are you perhaps guilty of the same sin as those whom you accuse? By the way, I have two offices and no ties to any oil company.

How did I get drug into this one. I did notice that even when M1 oils aren't to blame they still get bashed.
09.gif

However I can't see oil making a differance, no matter if it's M1 or Joe's best lube 10-30.

Last edited:
Gary, You called Capa and I shills. I had to look that one up. Doubt if many here know what that is. Here goes. According to "Websters" a shill is a pitchman, or auctioneer that lures onlookers into bidding or participating.

Capa, my man, I think we have been accused of being "flim flam men".

Originally Posted By: Capa
Gary, my dear friend, you mention that you don't like people that react like lab rats yet given the opportunity you bash Mobil instictively like, well like a lab rat. You did precisely that in this thread. Are you perhaps guilty of the same sin as those whom you accuse?

Show me where I've bashed M1? Show me. I have and will continue to make a satirical mockery of lab rats and shills. Dark comedy ..but the joke is on them.

I think you can see the difference. I'm a fully disclosed shill ..which isn't a shill or a lab rat conditioned to push the bar when he's told to. I'm conditioned to question oddities in human behavior without explanation.

Can you read this? Since you keep leaning otherwise, I wonder.

XOM makes great products.

Quote:
By the way, I have two offices and no ties to any oil company.

Ah ..then I can't classify you as a shill. How's the bar pushing coming? Does it give you a pellet every time or a shock?

Gary, you are obviously very intelligent but for the life of me I don't understand how you don't see that when given the opportunity to say something negative about Mobil you often do. This thread is a classic example of this behavior that you often times exhibit but continually deny. Did you or did you not attempt that precise behavior in this thread???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back