Ford ranked badly in 2012 Consumer Reports Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's supposed to be mostly baloney about the Sync/My Ford Touch system isn't it?

That should not be affecting their rankings, although their cars are far from trouble free.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It's supposed to be mostly baloney about the Sync/My Ford Touch system isn't it?

That should not be affecting their rankings, although their cars are far from trouble free.

They mentioned transmission trouble in the article as well. But, I didn't think those problems were widespread.

EDIT: Nevermind, I read about the transmission problems in a different article .

Last edited:
Don't care about problems out of the gate with brand new models. 2-3 year dependability is where it's at....

Sync is awesome, and I wouldn't want a car without it. My new car will have My Ford Touch, and it seems great as well. I don't know what people complain about in these systems. Sync blew my mind, I got it because it came with the premium package in my 2011 Mustang GT, not expecting to love it, and wow it just blew my mind. So easy to use, so simple, so effective.

I can't imagine what people complain about.... Probably old people not used to technology.

I wonder what the problems are with the Focus and Fiesta... I know people that have one of each, and so far are happy with them.
Probably just another MFT problem. Much the reason we don't need this garbage in vehicles. KISS applies for me.

Originally Posted By: neevers
Sync is awesome, and I wouldn't want a car without it. My new car will have My Ford Touch, and it seems great as well. I don't know what people complain about in these systems.

I can't imagine what people complain about.... Probably old people not used to technology.

I was going to say it was people who are too stupid to figure out how to use it.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I wonder what the problems are with the Focus and Fiesta... I know people that have one of each, and so far are happy with them.

There was an issue with the early 2012 Focus automatic transmission that was fixed by a programming change. The problem being that stopped on an uphill the automatic would roll back, just like a manual transmission since it's essentially the automatic transmission is a manual transmission controlled by solenoids. Sine people weren't used to this, they complained and the programming fix uses the anti-lock brakes to keep the car from moving back like that. Something like that.

My girlfriend and I rented a Focus recently, can't say we really cared for the dual-clutch transmission. Pretty jerky driving away from a stop.

As an owner of a 2012 Focus, I can understand the low marks. While I don't have MyFordTouch, the message boards are full of complaints about this system (crashes, freezes, etc.) even after Ford's major update. Plus, it tries to do things that are much better left to simple knobs or switches. And Ford thinks that its good news if 71% of MyFordTouch owners would recommend it? Really?

The dual-clutch-transmission has also been troublesome: revised programming has helped a lot, but a significant number of cars seem to suffer because of transmission fluid leaks that contaminate the clutches. The completely unprepared dealer network more often than not declares these problems "normal", frustrating many owners.

Ford in introducing lots of new models over a short period of time and seems to have stretched its engineering resources to the limit. Add a a truly mediocre dealer network and you have a recipe for big trouble. I like my Focus, but understand why there are unhappy owners. Ford created this mess and they richly deserve the outcome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Sync is awesome, and I wouldn't want a car without it. My new car will have My Ford Touch, and it seems great as well. I don't know what people complain about in these systems.

I was going to say it was people who are too stupid to figure out how to use it.

It has a very slow response time. It's not snappy at all, especially right after you start the car.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

It has a very slow response time. It's not snappy at all, especially right after you start the car.

Not on any of the F-150's I've used it in
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

Worked great for me every time I've used it. We'll see how it fairs on a day to day basis when I get it.

I'm completely unconcerned, and I'm sure it will be like my Sync experience, I'll want it in every car I buy.

Sync works flawlessly in both my 2012 F150 and my wifes 2012 Fusion, whether it be in the morning, at lunchtime or midnight, it works the same always. I personally cant see how its difficult to use. I set up my SILs phone in her 2010 Impala and had to consult the owners manual and still guessed. Took 20 minutes, and is ridiculous to use while driving. With sync a simple button push to call, answer, and switch, all on the steering wheel.

Also I have heard of tranny problems with the Fusion, I figure thats what the 6/60 power train is for, and extended after that just for that reason.

Originally Posted By: 97f150
Sync works flawlessly in both my 2012 F150 and my wifes 2012 Fusion, whether it be in the morning, at lunchtime or midnight, it works the same always. I personally cant see how its difficult to use. I set up my SILs phone in her 2010 Impala and had to consult the owners manual and still guessed. Took 20 minutes, and is ridiculous to use while driving. With sync a simple button push to call, answer, and switch, all on the steering wheel.

Also I have heard of tranny problems with the Fusion, I figure thats what the 6/60 power train is for, and extended after that just for that reason.

I don't think Sync is causing the problems for Ford. MyFordTouch is the culprit. I agree Sync works OK, though not worth a lot IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back