Ford makes more gains in quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the 2009 Toyota Corolla on Edmunds and I was surprised that so many owners are unhappy (compared to 08' and previous). Next I looked at the newest Honda Civic and found the same thing. It appears that Toyota and Honda are heading in one direction while Ford is heading the other way.

Before you accuse me of bias look at 2008 Civic and 2009 Corolla on Edmunds.

My first Ford was a 69 Fairlane, 2 door HT. Nice car, wish I had one now to play with. Still drive Fords to this day. 96 Merc GM and a 07 Focus. Very reilable.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I was looking at the 2009 Toyota Corolla on Edmunds and I was surprised that so many owners are unhappy (compared to 08' and previous). Next I looked at the newest Honda Civic and found the same thing. It appears that Toyota and Honda are heading in one direction while Ford is heading the other way.

Before you accuse me of bias look at 2008 Civic and 2009 Corolla on Edmunds.

I was just doing the same, comparing the 2008 Aura/Camry/Accord. I was really surprised how many unhappy 2008 Accord owners there were. The Aura surprisingly had the most positive comments, but of course there are a lot less of them on the road.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I rented a Ford Fusion last year for week---a very nice car.
Rented Dodge Journey this year for week---I would not take it if it were free. Same company that built Yugo must have designed and built Journey.

I had a Dodge Caliber as a rental for a week recently, it was absolutely bare bones, so the more uplevel models might be more livable, but overall I thought the quality and design were quite poor. Also had the misfortune of riding around in a 2009 Corolla for a week, build quality was abysmal. The panel gaps on that car were about as bad as some of the [censored] cars that GM produced in the 80's and 90's, but I don't see people eager to jump at pointing it out at every turn.

About a year ago I had a Mustang, which was pretty nice. Probably the nicest rental I've had in a while.

I was surprised that the 2009 Corolla was rated so poorly by its owners. Is Toyota resting (a little too much) on its laurels? As a Honda owner I am aware that their quality isn't what it once was. They have had several models with A/T issues in the past few years. I would definitely consider a Fusion as my next car.

I don't see why anybody would blame somebody for sticking with a brand that they''ve had good luck with over one that they had bad luck with? Most people can come up with examples of outstanding service life out almost any brand and somebody will have examples of terrible out of the same model. For me I had bad luck with Fords in the past and avoided them like the plague. Finally bought a Mazda B3000 and had good luck with it. After talking to friends that have bought Fords recently I would consider a Ford again. As it is thuogh I just bought a new Mazda 3 because of the experience with the B3000 and their ratings. The rankings were just initial quality and that is a good sign, but the proof will be how it holds up overall by everybody.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I was surprised that the 2009 Corolla was rated so poorly by its owners. Is Toyota resting (a little too much) on its laurels? As a Honda owner I am aware that their quality isn't what it once was. They have had several models with A/T issues in the past few years. I would definitely consider a Fusion as my next car.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Toyota is the new GM. Need Proof? Just look at their newest addition, the Venza: It does nothing well, and most everything, poorly.

My Yaris, the last 100% japanese car they make (Prius does not count, hybrid battery pack is sourced from N.A.), is of poor quality, and I'm always left wondering if it'll strand me (although statistically, it never has).

Don't count all the chickens yet for Ford. I have some Six Sigma Blackbelt clients working on the Fusion projects and the Quality numbers coming out at the end of this model year will most likely set a new record for warranty return reductions. Ford will beat Toyota hands down across the board very soon. The people there working on vehicle quality are as serious as a heart attack about being #1 worldwide and they have the CEO's total support.

My guess: Ford will be the premier US auto company very soon and if they keep their focus the premier auto company for relaibility and initial customer satisfaction worldwide in 3-5 years. I really hope this happens.

Last edited:
I hope you're correct. I'd love to study the "Ford Method" of quality improvement instead of reading how the big three have bumbled for decades allowing foreign companies to adopt Demming's methods and whoop us with them.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Don't count all the chickens yet for Ford. I have some Six Sigma Blackbelt clients working on the Fusion projects and the Quality numbers coming out at the end of this model year will most likely set a new record for warranty return reductions. Ford will beat Toyota hands down across the board very soon. The people there working on vehicle quality are as serious as a heart attack about being #1 worldwide and they have the CEO's total support.

My guess: Ford will be the premier US auto company very soon and if they keep their focus the premier auto company for relaibility and initial customer satisfaction worldwide in 3-5 years. I really hope this happens.

That would be sweet. Alan Mullalay seems like a smart guy. I know it did not take a genius to bring back the Taurus but most CEOs would have axed it. I wish Ford would do as you say just to show everyone that the US is World Class in auto manufacturing and quality control again. It might be the only way we can compete globally anymore..........

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Originally Posted By: PT1

That would be sweet. Alan Mullalay seems like a smart guy. I know it did not take a genius to bring back the Taurus ..

Brought back the Taurus= Gave the 500 a face lift and renamed it.

It's a good car, but let's call it what it is.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Wasn't the Five Hundred supposed to be the new Taurus anyway?

+1. It pretty much was always the Taurus. If Ford didn't have the stupid idea of naming every one of their vehicles starting with the letter "F" they never would have called it the 500 in the first place, they would've just kept calling it the Taurus. The new redesigned Taurus has nothing in common with the old 500 anyway.

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
For me I had bad luck with Fords in the past and avoided them like the plague. Finally bought a Mazda B3000 and had good luck with it. After talking to friends that have bought Fords recently I would consider a Ford again. As it is thuogh I just bought a new Mazda 3 because of the experience with the B3000 and their ratings.

You do realize your pickup is not really a Mazda at all but a Ford right? It's a Ford Ranger with Mazda emblems on it, built in Ford's St. Paul Minn. plant.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
+1. It pretty much was always the Taurus. If Ford didn't have the stupid idea of naming every one of their vehicles starting with the letter "F" they never would have called it the 500 in the first place, they would've just kept calling it the Taurus. The new redesigned Taurus has nothing in common with the old 500 anyway.

I heard a story about a member in Ford's upper management that was either a new hire or a transfer from another part of the company (I can't remember). Supposedly he held a meeting and asked why the Taurus brand had been dropped, and was met by nothing but nervous shuffling and blank stares. No idea whether it's true...

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: 65cuda
For me I had bad luck with Fords in the past and avoided them like the plague. Finally bought a Mazda B3000 and had good luck with it. After talking to friends that have bought Fords recently I would consider a Ford again. As it is thuogh I just bought a new Mazda 3 because of the experience with the B3000 and their ratings.

You do realize your pickup is not really a Mazda at all but a Ford right? It's a Ford Ranger with Mazda emblems on it, built in Ford's St. Paul Minn. plant.

Oh I knew that it was a Ford but I even told the wife and kids that I could live with it as long as it doesn't have the blue oval on it. I do believe though that they still have a fair amount of foreign content depending on the equipment in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back