What Quality Gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
But, both of these companies should take a long hard look at Hyundai. Do you remember when Hyundai first came to America? What a piece of junk they were, and most thought they would not last. Well, look where they are at now. What ever they did, they did it right and the American car manufactures should take a long hard look at it.

Hyundai copied Toyota and Honda. Their Hyundai Sonata was the spitting image of the Honda Accord for example.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cardinal49
The initial quality gap is shrinking. Long term quality is still yet to be determined. I think GMs problems go way beyond quality. Even if their cars were proven to have short and long term quality on par with the best in the industry, people still would not make a move to GM. Their products are getting better but in many ways are still behind the competition (including Ford).

Years of terrible products and customer service have turned off generations of buyers. My father was a GM man for years. After years of horrible experiences he bought a Nissan in the 80s. He has made it very clear that he will never buy another GM in his lifetime. Many in my generation and younger have never even considered a GM product. The brand is completely irrelevant.

They don't need to close the quality gap, they need to blow past creating cars that far exceed industry standards. The need to make exceptional products far above what is being offered by the competition or they need to follow the lead of Hyundai and sell their cars for a huge discount with a big warranty to gain loyalty.

Many consumers have had years of great products and service from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. Why would they change loyalty just because GM now claims to be just as good? GM got themselves into this mess (management and the UAW). I'm not sure they will ever get out.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
At one time, way back when, GM made some high quality vehicles. Not sure exactly when or why it happened (management, UAW, combination of both) but the quality went way down, and the same can be said about Ford (although I believe Ford in the past few years is trying harder to solve the problem). But, both of these companies should take a long hard look at Hyundai. Do you remember when Hyundai first came to America? What a piece of junk they were, and most thought they would not last. Well, look where they are at now. What ever they did, they did it right and the American car manufactures should take a long hard look at it.

+1,000,000
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Everyone mentioned what junk Hyundai, Toyota and Honda were when they first came to this market. How did they get a pass and were forgiven, but with GM and Ford it is too little too late?

Because Hyundai came along with a killer warranty, super nice looking vehicles that were practical, good on gas, what people wanted to drive, that you could fit in and that were affordable. They combined this with great service at the dealerships and strong advertising. They sought out high crash test scores for most models and quality awards to seal the deal! This is something that the other have failed at IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

Consumers will always vote with their wallets and take their hard earned cash and shrinking disposable income to where they perceive value to be the greatest! It's not about brand loyalty or where a vehicle is made anymore. It's about what gets the job done to my standards as a consumer, for the right price!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Hyundai copied Toyota and Honda. Their Hyundai Sonata was the spitting image of the Honda Accord for example.
grin2.gif

Speaking of copying... I remember reading that the initial (small) Honda minivans had very low sales. Then they redesigned it with every critical interior measurement within 1 inch of a Caravan. Then sales took off.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
grin2.gif

Speaking of copying... I remember reading that the initial (small) Honda minivans had very low sales. Then they redesigned it with every critical interior measurement within 1 inch of a Caravan. Then sales took off.
Yeah at double the price, what does that tell you about quality perception???

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Hopefully GM goes out of business and shuts down all their plants.

I was wondering how long it would take you
smirk2.gif

I think GM and Ford were given a pass for years. But even now, when they do make good cars, and some are, people seem to buy them.

For example, the Fusion and the Malibu are pretty competitve, seem to sell reasonbly well.

The Focus is pretty decent for the price. The Cobalt lags a bit in reliability I think so it doesn't do quite as well.

On the high end is Corvette and Cadillac CTS. Both very good values in their segments.

But when you have as many competitive choices as are available in the US auto market, even very good models will loose sales to their competitors from other brands.

GM needs to stop competing against itself. If you owned a shopping mall, would you rent three adjacent units to restaurants that sold the same kind of food?

grin2.gif

Wrong. The sonata was redesigned in 2006, with it's vertical bulging hoodline and cornered lights, a design that almost all newer cars are going with. The Accord was redesigned with it's bulging hoodline and cornered lights a year later. While I firmly believe that all cars will look somewhat similar to others no matter who makes it, Most say it (Sonata) looks more like an Audi than a Honda.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I recently bought an ACDelco part and it was 0.0015 off spec, which could have allowed it to slip loose. Made in China. I returned it, went to a different store and paid three dollars more for one that was perfect.

That could have been a counterfeit part.

The worst piece of [censored] I've seen from China so far is a supposed 18AWG power cord, like that used for computers with the standard IEC socket. I noticed it was getting warm when I was using it with a desktop PC. I ran across this thread on BBR:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22221530-Fire-hazards-lurking-about

So I cut that cord apart and sure enough, it had more like 26 gauge conductors in it and they didn't even look like copper or tin-plated copper.

No wonder it was getting hot.

When I checked it with a multimeter, it had at least one ohm of resistance from one end to the other. I checked another cord and the resistance was too small to measure (meter said 0 ohms).

Note the flare on the above tail lights is reversed between manufacturers.

Hyundai is the current-day champion in producing what consumers want in modern, economic, personal transportation.

KsJoe: ” Yawn. Doesn't mean much to me. A bad initial quality rating would be bad, but a good initial quality rating doesn't necessarily equate to long term quality. And long term is what I car about far more. Problems under warranty are somewhat inconvenient. Problems after warranty are expensive.
Wake me up when they're competing for the top spots in long term reliability.”

My sentiments exactly. I was hoping they were finally turning things around a couple years ago but now it looks like they’re done for. Even if they improve, a lot of people are awfully irritated by all the taxpayer subsidy they are getting.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Everyone mentioned what junk Hyundai, Toyota and Honda were when they first came to this market. How did they get a pass and were forgiven, but with GM and Ford it is too little too late?

With enough time everyone forgets.

I remember back in the 80's that 10-15 year old cars, people compared say Toyota to GM. I used to say 2 totally different cars. Of course the larger more powerful car would require more maintenance. Some of these cars made less torque than I tightened my lug nuts.

My dad and I were talking about this thread and he told me that his cousin who started teaching in 1976, bought a Toyota Corolla and she just retired from teaching and retired the car. The car has over 406K KM (254K Miles) on it and is now over 30 years old. The body is pretty badly rusted as she stopped rust proofing it about 5 years ago.

I asked my dad if he could take a picture of it for us to post here, but she lives almost 200KM away from us and isn't good with computers to e-mail us a picture.

I couldn't believe it when he told me. It was the original engine/transmission. My dad did all the work on it from new until the 1980's when he sold his service station and went to work for Chrysler.

shocked2.gif
Shows what a bit of TLC and a great vehicle can do eh?

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
The Accord was redesigned for the 2003 model year. That is the style that Hyundai copied much later.

Yeah, that's what I've always thought. And the inside of the Sonata was kind of Camry-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back