Ford makes more gains in quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
And yes, the QC on the cars produced in th Mexican facility has apparently been fantastic.

What is the "domestic content" of the Fusion, does anyone know? I tried to Google it and mostly just came up with conflicting information and arguments.

Peep this post here, I researched that question a month or so ago.

BTW, oilBabe and I still haven't bought. I wonder what sort of Supplier Pricing I'll get if we are owned by Oracle, LOL

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1401989#Post1401989

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: dishdude
How many American cars do you see on the roads in Japan and Korea?

Japan and Korea have different roads, different fuel prices, etc. Have any of the (formerly) Big Three ever designed a car for the Japanese or Korean markets?

Very true. The US automakers until recently didn't make many vehicles that were "to scale" as the vehicles in Japan. A Toyota Camry or Avalon are really big cars there. Same for Korea. I remember seeing some really small Daihatsu cars in Japan that were about 1/2 the width of a Crown Victoria. They just fit down soem of the very narrow streets in Tokyo. Now China is another story. The Chinese are in love with US made Buicks. To them the Buick is a sign of luxury. I think GM sold something like 300,000 of them last year in China.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
Mexico is not considered domestic origin. Canada is. There are plenty good cars made in the USA or Canada to choose from the big 3. I wouldn't buy a car (Fusion) made in Mexico either, but that's still not an excuse for me to buy a Honda. I have a Canadian (Oshawa, ON) Impala that hasn't had one problem. Canadians buy a lot of American cars and have a similar standard of living as the USA. I would consider a Ford, but for me it has to have at least a 75% domestic content and be assembled in either the USA or Canada. There are lots of cars to choose from. The Fusion is neither.

The Fusion will be the Ford vehicle that has the highest quality numbers this year from what I am hearing. So, the Mexico Operations are doing an excellent job for Ford. I would definitely buy one.

Even if you buy a American-assembled Honda, Toyota et-al, it's still money that supports foreign companies/countries/investors and the profits mostly go offshore, while a American-based manufacturer keeps the profits here. (when they earn a profit)

Originally Posted By: PT1
Mexico is not considered domestic origin. Canada is. There are plenty good cars made in the USA or Canada to choose from the big 3. I wouldn't buy a car (Fusion) made in Mexico either, but that's still not an excuse for me to buy a Honda. I have a Canadian (Oshawa, ON) Impala that hasn't had one problem. Canadians buy a lot of American cars and have a similar standard of living as the USA. I would consider a Ford, but for me it has to have at least a 75% domestic content and be assembled in either the USA or Canada. There are lots of cars to choose from. The Fusion is neither.

The Fusion will be the Ford vehicle that has the highest quality numbers this year from what I am hearing. So, the Mexico Operations are doing an excellent job for Ford. I would definitely buy one.

It's too bad they don't assemble it here instead of Mex. Because for that reason I would not consider buying it. Not disputing the quality in Mexico, but with the lack of jobs here my opinion is we should only support US (or Canadian) labor. In addition, one would think some of the cost savings would be passed on to the consumer. You don't save anything from them using low paid workers.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Even if you buy a American-assembled Honda, Toyota et-al, it's still money that supports foreign companies/countries/investors and the profits mostly go offshore, while a American-based manufacturer keeps the profits here. (when they earn a profit)

If it's a publicly held company, any profits obtained by that company are distributed among its shareholders. These shareholders are world wide. I actually hold some of this stock through my 401k.

Unless you are talking about compensation and bonuses to the CEO's and other top execs. In that case I truly don't care where that particular profit-fattened cat lives.

This is a fable created by the UAW. Shareholders get some of the profits and the local communities get the economic growth multiplier when local workers spend their dollars. Local communities and States also get tax revenue as well as payroll taxes on the Federal level. BTW, if you have a retirement portfolio there is a good chance you have some Toyota or Honda stock in it as both sell on the NYSE and many mutual fund managers hold shares.

Last edited:

It's too bad they don't assemble it here instead of Mex.

Why if they did the price would be higher and the quality not as good...proof is in the quality numbers. The Ford people I know say the Mexican people at the Fusion plant are very hard working, like their job and are committed to producing a well made product. There is a definite reason they don't assemble it here and wage rates are only part of that equation.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar

If it's a publicly held company, any profits obtained by that company are distributed among its shareholders. These shareholders are world wide. I actually hold some of this stock through my 401k.

Unless you are talking about compensation and bonuses to the CEO's and other top execs. In that case I truly don't care where that particular profit-fattened cat lives.

White collar staff, R&D, testing development, etc. A year to two ago Ford spent more on R&D in the US than any other company except for Pfizer. There's far more to equation than location of final assembly.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Samilcar

White collar staff, R&D, testing development, etc. A year to two ago Ford spent more on R&D in the US than any other company except for Pfizer. There's far more to equation than location of final assembly.

+1 very true...which is why I got so bent out of shape when GM opened a new R&D center in China while they are laying off engineers here and taking taxpayer dollars.

BTW, if you have a retirement portfolio there is a good chance you have some Toyota or Honda stock in it as both sell on the NYSE and many mutual fund managers hold shares.

I'd rather be poor then give them a dime.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
BTW, if you have a retirement portfolio there is a good chance you have some Toyota or Honda stock in it as both sell on the NYSE and many mutual fund managers hold shares.

I'd rather be poor then give them a dime.

You can always buy Ford stock if you feel that way. The guys who bought Ford at $1 several months ago are up 500%

You can always buy Ford stock if you feel that way. The guys who bought Ford at $1 several months ago are up 500%

There was a tiny window of opportunity on November 20th, when you could buy Ford for $1.01/share. There were many opportunities until March when you could buy for less than $2.00.

It closed Friday at $5.08/share, thanks to the bad news coming out about GM and Chrysler. The same thing happened a few months ago, when Circuit City shut down and Best Buy nearly doubled in price.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

There was a tiny window of opportunity on November 20th, when you could buy Ford for $1.01/share. There were many opportunities until March when you could buy for less than $2.00.

It closed Friday at $5.08/share, thanks to the bad news coming out about GM and Chrysler. The same thing happened a few months ago, when Circuit City shut down and Best Buy nearly doubled in price.

Yes, to the victor goes the spoils....Ford will pick up considerable market share while the other 2 flounder or go under. After all who will want to buy a car if you don't believe the company will be there to honor a warranty or if parts will even be available.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
How about 53 years, is that long enough? My Dad's original 1956 Victoria still runs like a champ.
And it probably has next to no cheap, chintzy plastic or gaudy logos ANYWHERE..
The only similarity between your old (very old) man's '56 Victoria and... a new Focus is the four letter name on the hood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back