Ford Introduces New Taurus-based Police Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
If we stuck with the "don't fix what ain't broke" we would still be driving carbeurated, RWD, steel body, cassette deck, hydraulicly controlled automatic, no cruise control.....

What is wrong with cars like that?

Originally Posted By: Ryan
I will say the Crown Victoria is a great car that can take a beating. I have had to run Code 3 to a call that was normally about 30 minutes away running routine traffic. Running Code 3, I had the A/C on. When I get to the call I leave the car running. Clear the call, get in the car and it has already cooled itself off, ready to roll. Not too many cars I can think of that can take this kind of abuse. I bet my personal car would already have transmission problems driving like that for that length of time. My Crown Vic is an 06 with 85,000 miles on it and still runs great. We have some 08 Impalas in our fleet that are already giving us lots of problems. I can promise you that we would not be getting turbo Tauruses, and I don't think we want any more FWD cars either. We are testing out some Chargers right now, but the Caprice might look promising for us in the future. I hope the Chargers and Caprices hold up as well as the Crown Vics do.

The chargers don't They hit 20,000 miles and then are in the shop a LOT. School busses, big trucks all use turbochargers... And they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Why would the one in the Taurus be any different?

I'd love to see your proof and how you know this.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: Ryan
I will say the Crown Victoria is a great car that can take a beating. I have had to run Code 3 to a call that was normally about 30 minutes away running routine traffic. Running Code 3, I had the A/C on. When I get to the call I leave the car running. Clear the call, get in the car and it has already cooled itself off, ready to roll. Not too many cars I can think of that can take this kind of abuse. I bet my personal car would already have transmission problems driving like that for that length of time. My Crown Vic is an 06 with 85,000 miles on it and still runs great. We have some 08 Impalas in our fleet that are already giving us lots of problems. I can promise you that we would not be getting turbo Tauruses, and I don't think we want any more FWD cars either. We are testing out some Chargers right now, but the Caprice might look promising for us in the future. I hope the Chargers and Caprices hold up as well as the Crown Vics do.

The chargers don't They hit 20,000 miles and then are in the shop a LOT. School busses, big trucks all use turbochargers... And they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Why would the one in the Taurus be any different?

I'd love to see your proof and how you know this.

Look around the internet, it's out there. My uncle is an auxiliary policeman, and they have 5 chargers, the rest Crown vics, he said the Chargers are in the shop more often than they are on the road.

Just a quick google seach, turned up this page. Transmission problems also seem to be pretty common with these.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2010/03/future-police-cars-ford-chevrolet.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
BMW requires synthetics.

You are thinking about branded fluid - like mandate Ford fluid only, etc.

Ah yes so I am, my bad.

Originally Posted By: ZiTS
I'm saying that there is no comparison between the two cars. Just like there is no comparison between the Camaro of the 90's and the Camaro of today. The only thing in common between the 90's car and today's (tomorrow's) car is the name. Therefore, it makes no sense to say that the Taurus used for police duty in the 90's is some type of measure as to what the Police Interceptor will be like.

As to the rest of your post, I really have no idea where you were going with it....

I did understand.

History has proven that we're behind on most curves. Now before you jump on that (you may or may not - but you can) most of our automotive successes have been durable over a broad demographic. SBC's ..SBF's blah-blah. This is why I found the CVPI as a home run of tremendous merit. It's not simple, but they obviously got it right. Police/taxi/consumer ..all give it good marks for durability in service.

You will not see this level of durability from a domestic manufacturer over such distribution with some twin turbo'd Taurus. Make that twin tubo'd anybody's offering.

This will be a very high maintenance vehicle in police service. Way too expensive for some fleet deal. I predict a short lived, or highly compromised/altered, service life for these units. I see nothing but junk at the end of a fireball of a lifespan eaten up real quick.

Someone mentioned the slowness of the CVPI. I don't see speed being a significant factor in making a good police vehicle. The 115+ capability covers the vast majority of needs in pursuit requirements. One also has to reason that one can hardly say that speed capability is the single aspect to base a selection on.

This isn't some Cold War scenario where you've got some team competition head to head that you've got to maintain superiority. That is, unless you see screaming hordes of criminal Fast&Furious types that need to be corral'd enmass by TEAM JUSTICE.

rudolphna,
You referred to the Police Interceptor as having "superchargers". It is a turbocharged engine, just for clarification.

oilboy123,
You referred to the engine as the "Ecotec". The twin-turbo, direct injection V-6 used in the Police Interceptor is called "Ecoboost".

Gary,
Aaah, Gary, I guess this is the part where I jump on you -
I clearly should have known better than to challenge you. You obviously have a vastly superior knowledge than I do of life and the automotive world in general. This is apparant by your postings that I continue to be unable to decipher (what is "SBC" and "SBF"?) If you watched the video on the link I posted earlier (you did watch the video, didn't you?), you would have seen that Ford has done the equivalant of 1 million miles durability testing on the engine, and it didn't hand grenade. And if you don't think that the police market is anything but a competition, you really don't know what you're talking about. Ever since the 90's Caprice left the police market in 1996, Ford has been the segment leader. Yeah, they've continued to lose market share since Dodge introduced the Charger, but they still own 70% of the police car market. As long as they've been making police cars, and with the reputation the Crown Vic has earned, they probably aren't all that eager to just give up and put out a piece of junk so they can call it quits and go home. But again, who am I? As for the belief that speed isn't a significant factor in making a good police vehicle - wrooong! Why do you think the Charger has been doing so well? It's because its' performance blows away the CVPI and Impala.

People also need to understand that simply because the CVPI is an overall durable design, it is dated. The 4.6 gets worse gas mileage and only equivalent or less performance than the engines offerd in the Impala and Charger, both V-6 and V-8. And one of the main considerations departments look at nowadays is fuel costs. Also, the CVPI has that lovely axle out back, where others' have gone to independent suspensions. It makes no sense for Ford to re-work the drivetrain and all the other needed changes on the CVPI, yet still try and keep the same Panther platform, which has been around for over 15 years.

Will the new Police Interceptor be the huge success that the CVPI is/was? Nobody knows that at this time. Only time will tell, and no one else.

Last edited:
SBC = Small block Chevy
SBF = Small block Ford

We are going to Chargers for cars and Tahoes for SUV. The Durangos that we bought along with the Explorers have been terrible for use.

The new Ford will not have a chance in this state. Too much unknown EXPENSIVE stuff on the engine. The Hemi motor is simple. The Chevy motor is simple.

The chargers are doing well because they are SIMPLE. We have a mix of the V6 and V8 and while they are tight, they do work. If you need more then the Tahoes come into play.

States LOVE simple. That is a fact. Tell them the police unit will have turbos? That will be a no sale unless the MFG will cover everything for free for the life of the unit.

Bill

Quote:
Gary,
Aaah, Gary, I guess this is the part where I jump on you -

Okay ..I'm open for abuse. I can take it. It's part of my "neanderthal-'ic" heavy duty American persona.
grin2.gif

Quote:
I clearly should have known better than to challenge you.

Why? This isn't a competition. It's discussion and that includes opinions and impressions. You are surely invited to change mine
21.gif

Quote:
You obviously have a vastly superior knowledge than I do of life and the automotive world in general.

No, probably not. I would term it "automotive wisdom" and knowing people ..systems ...groups ..segments ..

Quote:
This is apparant by your postings that I continue to be unable to decipher (what is "SBC" and "SBF"?)

Small Block Chevy - Small Block Ford (include any and all mainstay engines that were used over multiple platforms and in various combinations over many years ..and their successors that also served many millions of miles over a broad demographic and service duty).

Quote:
If you watched the video on the link I posted earlier (you did watch the video, didn't you?), you would have seen that Ford has done the equivalant of 1 million miles durability testing on the engine, and it didn't hand grenade.

There's a problem that all kinds of durability testing runs into ..time. They compress time as required in the R&D phase. It always leaves out way too many X factors. Ford itself left the recommendation for 5w-20 intact for the CVPI and was unprepared for units that never got the oil checked between shift and were subjected to, literally, 24+ hours of high speed operation. Consumption was part of that service and a few engines grenaded as a result. The engine itself, obviously, was very durable.

Police officers/troopers aren't unit owners (typically). They're mule whippers if need be.

Quote:
And if you don't think that the police market is anything but a competition, you really don't know what you're talking about. Ever since the 90's Caprice left the police market in 1996, Ford has been the segment leader. Yeah, they've continued to lose market share since Dodge introduced the Charger, but they still own 70% of the police car market.

This assumes that the Charger has any longer life in being produced. I don't think that it will. If you're old enough, you may recall the all time KING of police units ..the 1973-74 Fury III with the 440 Super Commando engine. 140+ certified mph capability. After its retirement due to a fuel embargo or two ..the engine was down to a 360 ..and then Chrysler reinvented itself to nothing above a 4 cylinder except in pickup trucks.

That is, I predict that it will be a chicken /egg scenario. Will the Charger be retired due to the new wizbang Taurus or would it have been retired anyway due to lack of demand which would have left the CVPI the last man standing ..like the Mustang did throughout the inevitable roller coasters in economics and everything else?? Muscle cars came and went ..in production ..out of production ..but you could always buy a Mustang in high output trim (except the Pinto versions).

Again, I don't necessarily have the "knowledge" ..but I've seen trends and outcomes.

Quote:
As long as they've been making police cars, and with the reputation the Crown Vic has earned, they probably aren't all that eager to just give up and put out a piece of junk so they can call it quits and go home.

Like Chevy did with retiring the Caprice? No top this there. Just stopped.

Quote:
Why do you think the Charger has been doing so well? It's because its' performance blows away the CVPI and Impala.

So? Where would that be a critical aspect in the full scope of selecting a police unit? There was a time when highway police units had to use Mustangs where traffic/pursuit duty made the high speed capability a mandate. There was no production model capable enough to do the job. Did police depts nationwide start buying Mustangs as their standard use units? Of course not.

Dated or not, the CVPI was a great success. I can see no successor having such distinction when all things are taken into account. I see only trouble with a more complex and tweaked power plant.

Now if one wants to adopt some European theme to police units ..more specific duty units, and abandon the simplicity of "one size fits all" streamline approach to fleet maintenance, then fine. A police garage can have everything from decked out Smart-Car's to Suburbans ..parked right next to the light equipped pedal bike units.

..and, yes, time will tell. I hope that they REALLY built this thing to the same standard that the CVPI was. I anticipate growing pains in the transition. I hope that I'm wrong.

There was a reason why Russians made a cheap MIG. It took only a few months to build. Our fighters took 13months. In an all out competition, they could afford 16:1 losses. The spare parts required to keep our superior fighter fleet intact and fully operational would be on back order until the conflict was long over.

If you watched the video on the link I posted earlier (you did watch the video, didn't you?), you would have seen that Ford has done the equivalant of 1 million miles durability testing on the engine, and it didn't hand grenade.

Maybe it's just me, but the key word there is equalivant. I beleive there is a different between actual testing, and 'equalivant' testing. If Ford had gotten some police departments to test the drivetrain prior to its release, and claimed it was actually tested in police duty over X years or Y miles, that is different than saying they did equalivant testing in a controlled environment, with what they have been told entails police work. The video mentions they have shadowed police work, but again, the unit has never seen actual police duty...or if it has, they never mentioned it. We do not know.

As for the belief that speed isn't a significant factor in making a good police vehicle - wrooong! Why do you think the Charger has been doing so well? It's because its' performance blows away the CVPI and Impala.

I'm going to agree with Gary, and say speed is not a very important factor in determining how good a patrol unit is. During a busy highway pursuit, speed is not going to help an officer as much as communication equipment. Unless, of course, it's a two vehicle pursuit (the suspect and the officer), but I doubt a department will turn their back on an officers who is in pursuit.

People also need to understand that simply because the CVPI is an overall durable design, it is dated. The 4.6 gets worse gas mileage and only equivalent or less performance than the engines offerd in the Impala and Charger, both V-6 and V-8.

Any vehicle, regardless of engine size, will get horrible fuel gas mileage if it idles day and night, and runs WOT. The Modular engine is actually rather fuel efficient in comparison to modern V6 engines. Those who own them will know well.

Originally Posted By: Duffman77
I cant see how this car will be as good as the CVPI within the big picture. A good PI is more than just a high power to weight ratio and slalom numbers, the Vic is probably in the lower 50% of cars on the road in these categories and that doesnt make it a bad PI. The full frame will probably be missed the most. The ability to absorb punishment for years, be easy and ecomomical to fix just wont be there on a unibody. Turbo chargers have no place on a PI, sure they are a performance marvel on paper, the added complexity and complication of maintenance will be a disaster in reality.

The new PIs may perform adequately or even quite well but I am betting they will be money pits with a lot of downtime for any fleet that adopts them.

That's my basic take. Even if the drive train proves durable, how many will be totaled or how many police depts are going to have to abandon the pit maneuver and allow more extended and dangerous chases since they cannot just do some sheet metal work, but now need to total the unit.?? I think most police depts are self insured for vehicle loss. How many bond issues before they have to alter training and retrain every rolling officer?

There's much more to shake out with the loss of the CVPI than meets the eye.

Did someone really think that the new ones were better looking? I see no intimidation built into the DNA of that body style.

Last edited:
Falcon_LS,

HOW CAN IT BE USED IN POLICE DUTY WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET?!?!?!?!? Seriously?! They've been developing the thing for 2 years, and that probably means more than just the engine on the dyno! How is this different from ANY new car?!
Yes, speed is very important. Only departments in crowded urban environments or ones that have no-puruit policy's may relegate it down on the list of "things that are important". But there is also more to police work than top end speed and pursuits.
Actually, diesel's are pretty good at this, which is one of the reasons CarbonMotors is going with a diesel for their engine. And, no, the 4.6 in the CVPI is not fuel efficient compared to the V-6 police engines. Simple as that. I have no idea what would make you think this.

Gary,

All I can say is that I'm glad you're not involved in police fleet operations. You first state that speed isn't important, than you say the "KING" of all police cars was the one with a huge engine? I'm going to assume that big ol' engine wasn't there for crash protection. Then, you go on again to state that speed isn't a huge factor, but then state that highway patrols had to rely on Mustangs. For what? Their looks? Your argument is going in circles, and I'm getting dizzy trying to follow it.
What information do you have that the Charger is going away? Dodge has affirmed their commitment to the police market. Of course, that may all change over time, as it may with Ford or GM. Who knows? Oh, sorry...you do.
Chevy dumped the Caprice of the 90's because GM changed its' corporate strategy, believing there was no place for large gas guzzlers. Yes, the Caprice then was one of the top police cars ever, but any of the Big 3 will tell you that the police market isn't their biggest money maker. GM subsequently got ripped by cops all over the country who wanted their Chevy back, at which time they responded with the Impala. They've never returned to their glory days with the 90's Caprice, and perhaps Ford will be in the same boat when the Police Interceptor replaces the CVPI. But until that happens, and the Police Interceptor does or doesn't prove itself, I'm still giving FoMoCo the credit they're due.

Falcon_LS,

HOW CAN IT BE USED IN POLICE DUTY WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET?!?!?!?!? Seriously?! They've been developing the thing for 2 years, and that probably means more than just the engine on the dyno! How is this different from ANY new car?!

Caps lock, mate.
wink.gif
How can it be deemed just as reliable based on equalivant testing? Manufacturers do not simply develop an engine, and chuck it in the engine bay of a vehicle shortly after. They test it thoroughly. During the test phase, it's not difficult for them to contact one of the departments in their Police Advisory Board, and get them to put the engine into real world testing.

Yes, speed is very important. Only departments in crowded urban environments or ones that have no-puruit policy's may relegate it down on the list of "things that are important". But there is also more to police work than top end speed and pursuits.

There's also more to police work than acceleration. Obviously it varies from police force to police force, but why endanger other road users when you can work as a team to stop a fleeing suspect?

And, no, the 4.6 in the CVPI is not fuel efficient compared to the V-6 police engines. Simple as that. I have no idea what would make you think this.

I own a 4.6L, and drive the living daylights out of it. I still get a healthy 8.4-9L/100 kilometres on average. If I push my Lexus ES that hard, with that many WOT runs, etc. I barely manage to get 13L/100 kilometres. I have to really baby it to get an average of less than 8.7L/100 kilometres actually. The same goes for many other V6 FWD vehicles.
55.gif

Falcon,

I intended to use the caps lock because I was yelling at you.
10.gif
You do understand, don't you, that the Police Interceptor isn't available yet and won't be until late 2011? It is still under development, and is still being tested, by Ford and their selected police members. You don't believe, do you, that Ford would simply take one EcoBoost engine, strap it on a dyno for a million miles, turn it off, and then say "Yep, it's good to go!"? They are doing real world testing as we speak (type).

For the speed/acceleration, I am referring to chase down speed (i.e., catching up to a speeder), as well as routine patrol performance. Police work isn't simply pursuing a bad guy on the highway all day long, going as fast as you can go.

For gas mileage, there is no argument. I'm discussing police cars ONLY. You can not compare any civilian vehicle to any police-use vehicle; that's apples to oranges. Also, the fact that you are overseas is certain to play a role in your figures compared to mine. I'm sure the fuels are different, as well as emissions equipment on the vehicles.

Take care, mate.
34.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
All I can say is that I'm glad you're not involved in police fleet operations. You first state that speed isn't important,

I don't believe that I said that. I believe that I said it's not the (paraphrased for extended meaning) ONE DIMENSIONAL aspect of what makes a good police unit. There are sensible limits on the downside, surely.

Quote:
han you say the "KING" of all police cars was the one with a huge engine?

Consider the CVPI as it's first successful successor. Sensibly downsized for the times while still getting the job done.

Quote:
Then, you go on again to state that speed isn't a huge factor, but then state that highway patrols had to rely on Mustangs. For what? Their looks? Your argument is going in circles, and I'm getting dizzy trying to follow it.

You left out the part that Mustangs weren't used for all cops everywhere ..while CVPI are/were. Why is that? Could it be that high speed capability was a mere marginal consideration that was trumped big time by other deemed essential features that a Mustang could never fulfill? I think so.

Quote:
What information do you have that the Charger is going away? Dodge has affirmed their commitment to the police market. Of course, that may all change over time, as it may with Ford or GM. Who knows? Oh, sorry...you do.

I don't have any insider information, just the experience of history. Again, you really should read everything that I post. There is going to be less and less demand for high performance cars.

This may be something you may have not considered. That the entire market shirks tremendously. Chrysler won't offer a police unit since the demand for the production model is trashed ..just like Ford did when they left only the GM and moved the CVPI to strictly police units. Now Ford probably could have just built a CVPI plant ..with the identical tooling ..etc..etc. and just had 100% of a declining demand.

What is counter to typical economic dogma is that declining demand may very well be the best deal going.

Now they have a new product, new tooling, new OEM parts contracts ..new ..new ..new ..new ..and all of it costs a fortune.

Quote:
Chevy dumped the Caprice of the 90's because GM changed its' corporate strategy

As I imagine Ford is too
21.gif
GM was correct. They were just a bit early and realized that in competition, they were looking at losses. Ford prevailed on the bigger end of things. Corporate strategies don't necessarily have a practical side to them. It's more a forced issue due to ancillary influences.

Quote:
perhaps Ford will be in the same boat when the Police Interceptor replaces the CVPI. But until that happens, and the Police Interceptor does or doesn't prove itself, I'm still giving FoMoCo the credit they're due.

Whether they're in the same boat or not, it is what it is. There will be no more CVPI and regardless of if it was a good-bad decision (the new one "works" and it proves as good) or a bad-bad decision (it's a flop and sends more business elsewhere), it's been made.

Where have I not given Ford credit where it is due? Any cheering for the new unit is speculative fantasy at this point. Check back in 3-5 years and we'll see.

Why do I get the impression you're angry? Is there some special love you have for THIS Ford product? What gives you such allegiance to this yet to be seen product? Ford has had its great moments and its share of disasters (I could enumerate a few - but let's not). The CVPI was one of their FINEST creations.

"I don't see speed being a significant factor in making a good police vehicle." That was you, wasn't it? Thought so.

Angry? Not at all. Frustrated? Absolutely! Frustrated with people wanting to put their speculations and assumptions out there as fact, when the real fact is they don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, I guess you could say I do have a much larger interest in this topic than you do, but that doesn't matter because I'm not trying to talk myself up.

Where did I say I have a special love for the Police Interceptor? I believe this thread is about the Police Interceptor, so maybe that's why I'm talking about it.
21.gif
All I've been doing is discussing the good AND bad issues, which may or may not come to reality. Unlike you, I haven't once condemmed the failure (or success) of the project.

And then you go to say that GM was correct for dumping the 90's Caprice, even though Ford is now somehow wrong for dumping the trusty 4.6 V-8 CVPI and coming out with a V-6 replacement. Wow, I just do not understand.....

The only thing I will partially agree with you on is that the CVPI was a great car. However, when it first came in to police service, it definately had its' problems, and was often lambasted by the cop community. Only now, after a couple of decades of changes and refinement, has it become that great car that cops will miss.

Last edited:
It's a business decision. Fewer and fewer civilians were buying the aging and dated 'Vic/Marquis, choosing far more modern alternatives.

The 4.6 V8 and 4sp transmissions are being phased out, and the Panther platform tooling is worn out.

Ford will not keep a orphan platform just for commercial/police service vehicles, nor spend billions on replacing tooling. The vehicle must share chassis/driveline/engines with civilian model platforms to be profitable. (the same reason the E-series will go bye-bye and be replaced with the global-platformed large Transit van)

The CVPI is dead. Nothing to see here, move along. :)

Look, there will probably be problems with the new Ford PI. There were/are problems with the Charger, the Impala, there will be problems with the new Caprice too. But I have a feeling that ford wouldn't even consider putting the Ecoboost in a police car if they didn't think it could handle it, and would burn out before the car hit 100,000 miles. Was the 4.6L a great engine? Yes. Was it reliable? Sure as I'm alive. Was it powerful? No. How about the transmission. It was aging 4 speed automatic. Reliable? Yup. Efficient, fast or anything else? Nope. The 3.5L Duratec has thus far been nearly problem free in it's many applications, at least from what I'm seeing. Ford isn't staffed by a bunch of howler monkeys, they know what they are doing. And besides, your forgetting something very important, the standard engine will be the 3.5L V6 N/A, which makes just as much power as the outgoing V8, while being much more fuel efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duratec's have been around almost as long as the modular family. Well proven in many apps. All Duratec's are relatively the same. Although it seems like many of transmissions attached to the Duratec had issues. To bad the didn't just stuff the newer Duratec technology like their doing in the Mustang in the older cvpi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back