Ford 5w-20 M2c930-a; who goes 7.5k as recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
Just got a new 2010 Fusion with the 2.5L I4. Nice car.

Not suprised, but intrigued by the "normal" service factor of 7.5k miles on dino oil and filter.

My question is this: who's actually doing it on dino? Any success/failures to report?

I realize that semi-syn is "recommended" but all the major brands make dino lube meeting the spec.

My daily commute is very "normal"; I don't fall into any of the servere service definitions. I'm very tempted to run 7.5k mile OCIs with dino fluid and either a P1 or Wix filter, just to see how it fares.

Yes, I understand the argument of inexpensive fluids versus how expensive the engine is, but I have seen some UOAs in the last few years that confirm "normal" service is easily attainable with "normal" fluids and filters.

So, anyone with personal insight, that has actually run these fluids the 7.5k mile full course, and lived to tell about it?

Last edited:
I would do a couple of shorter mile oil changes to get the break in wear down before doing a 7,500 mile oil change interval uoa.

We've done it with a few of our E/F-250/350's with Mod engines (the one had almost 10K on it
shocked2.gif
), using MotorCraft FL820 filters, and they're still running, at over 100K. Our normal routine is to change filter at 4000 miles, oil and filter at 8,000, but a couple slipped through the cracks.

In my personal '07 Expedition, I do 5K on the MC 5-20 oil/FL820S filter. Interesting - I have the local dealer do the oil changes (if you've ever tried to get a filter out of a later model Exp'y, you'll understand), and he puts a "oil change due in 3,000 miles" sticker on the windshield. Old habits DO die hard, I guess.
21.gif

It's not 7500 miles on dino oil, it's on Motorcraft 5w-20 which is semi-synthetic. My 2009 F-150 has same normal service factor, but I change it evey 5k miles and use PP with Motorcraft filter.

Last edited:
I completely trust Ford's testing of the MC oil and development of the Ford spec. MC can handle 7,500 drains with no problems at all.

dnewton3 said:

I totally agree.
Is yours an automatic or a stick? I'd love one of those in a stick (even though the A/T supposedly gets better MPG's).

I'd do 5K OCI's with MC blend, PYB etc... I would probably go 7K on PP.

I don't disagree that the MC semi-syn can handle it.

I was speaking of the dino products on the market. Mobil Clean 5k, PYB, Castrol, Valvoline, etc all make dino fluids meeting the Ford spec.

Anyone going 7.5k miles on brand name dino oil and a typical filter?

I have a lot of faith in the capability of most of today's products; both the fluids and the equipment.

My plan was oil/filter change at 1.5k miles (break in on the factory fill fluid) and then run the next load out for 6k miles. At that point (7.5k total miles) I'd follow the "normal" OEM plan.

Just was wondering if anyone has had the guts to do it, and report on this forum? I'm sure there are people out there doing it, but they may not be reporting it. There are others that are doing the 3 mo/3k mile plan because they are stuck in the '80s mentally, and can't beat the mythology.

Looks like I might be the first to report on dino fluids run for 7.5k miles per the OEM rec. I'll do UOAs, but likely not at the first 7.5k miles, if only to ignore the break-in noise.

FYI - it's the 6-spd auto for those that asked.

Last edited:
I was speaking of the dino products on the market. Mobil Clean 5k, PYB, Castrol, Valvoline, etc all make dino fluids meeting the Ford spec.

Your manual calls for Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic for the normal sevice, not dino oil.

Had the dealer change my 09 F150 at 2500 miles with Motorcraft oil and filter (didn't want to fight the factory installed filter). Then dumped it at 5k and replaced with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and MC filter. I change all my vehicles at 5k and rotate tires same time. It's just easier for me to keep track of them that way.

BTW, does your vehicle have a Oil Change/Service reminder, cause it will be interesting to see when it comes on in the car...

Last edited:
Well IMO considering MC 5-20 semi syn is roughly the same price a Mobil clean. I wold stick with the Motorcraft product and erase the " maybe " 7500 miles question. Not to mention get a better product. Stick with the 820s also. Mobil clean 5000 is not clean 7500
27.gif

My mom's 2009 Lincoln MKS has about 18,000 miles on it now. She gets the oil changed at the local Lincoln dealer, so it gets the Motorcraft Blend 5w-20 and Motorcraft filter. She's had two oil changes so far - both when the maintanence minder told her the car was due for an oil change. It is set to go off at 7500 miles. It is still going strong. I realize it's still got low miles but since Ford only started reccomending 7500 mile oil changes within the last two model years (as far as I know), it's kind of hard to get real-world results in vehicles that have racked up a lot of miles.

Personally, I trust that the engineers at Ford have developed engines and engine oils that can withstand the service intervals that they recommend. Ford quality has been gaining in leaps and bounds lately and I seriously doubt that the company would endanger their recent reputation for quality by recommending too long of an oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: rossn2

Your manual calls for Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic for the normal sevice, not dino oil.

I must disagree, The specification is what FOrd requires those conventional oils meet the specification and are fully capable of performing the interval and service recomendations, Motorcraft Syn Blend is a recomendation. If they Required it they would have to buy it for you like BMW does.

My 2009 Ranger has the same recommendation, 7500 for normal service.

I plan to use Schaeffer's 5w20 for 5K intervals for now, but I wouldn't feel bad if I went 7500 miles. Besides, right now my driving is pretty easy (mostly highway).

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: rossn2

I must disagree, The specification is what FOrd requires those conventional oils meet the specification and are fully capable of performing the interval and service recomendations, Motorcraft Syn Blend is a recomendation. If they Required it they would have to buy it for you like BMW does.

In my opinion, you're both correct here. Ford recommends a 7500 mile oil change interval when using the recommended oil (Motorcraft Syn-Blend). They also state that the oil you use should meet the proper spec. If you are using Motorcraft oil, you are already covered. If you, for whatever reason, decide to use another oil that meets the spec, you can be assured that the oil will perform the way Ford intended it to. However, they cannot guarantee that it will last 7500 miles as they recommend with Motorcraft oil. This is just my opinion and I honestly can't say that I base any of this on facts, but I have arrived at this type of thinking by looking at various posts on this website and a general sense of how the automotive industry works.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Not suprised, but intrigued by the "normal" service factor of 7.5k miles on dino oil and filter.

My question is this: who's actually doing it on dino? Any success/failures to report?

I realize that semi-syn is "recommended" but all the major brands make dino lube meeting the spec.

My daily commute is very "normal"; I don't fall into any of the servere service definitions. I'm very tempted to run 7.5k mile OCIs with dino fluid and either a P1 or Wix filter, just to see how it fares.

Yes, I understand the argument of inexpensive fluids versus how expensive the engine is, but I have seen some UOAs in the last few years that confirm "normal" service is easily attainable with "normal" fluids and filters.

So, anyone with personal insight, that has actually run these fluids the 7.5k mile full course, and lived to tell about it?

see this is the thing that gets me about this site...if this was a thread about the GM OLM going 12k on dino then people would say if you choose not to follow the OLM you are an idiot, but when it is not an OLM situation then all of the sudden we are all more cautious with anything over 5-6k on dino...

I'd say it probably can, but if it were my care it would get the blend or full syn for that OCI...otherwise run less on dino maybe

FWIW, my 17-yr-old Accord says to go 7.5k miles on regular conventional SH rated oils. I would think that if my engine can do that, this Ford engine can too. (on SM)

Last edited:
As I recall the 5w20 Motorcraft Blend is around 85% dino and 15% synthetic [if that] so 5K mile OCI's seems more logical...To me anyway...More so since the Motorcraft 5w20 Blend sells for less the 20 bucks at Walmart

Enjoy the car. I had a 2006 and put just over 48K before I traded it in for my corolla.

Nice car, great pickup

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

My 1994 LS400 recommends dino 5W30 at 7.5k/6mos OCI. I did just that with dino for some years then with synthetic with OCI of 15k/12mos, the car is back to dino now with the same 7.5k/6mos OCI . The car has 240k+ miles now without oil related problems, gas mileage is about the same as when new at around 19 MPG mixed driving and 24+ MPG on highway.

The recommended oil is SF, I think I can go a little longer with SM oil but I have so much dino in my stash so that extend OCI with dino doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
I have the local dealer do the oil changes (if you've ever tried to get a filter out of a later model Exp'y, you'll understand)

I'm surprised to read this as I have an '07 Expedition and I find the filter no big deal to change. Its easy to get to, has a drain funnel built in - I'd rank it easier than many of the other cars I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back