FLAT tire . Discovered tire had ...

gone completely flat and could not be refilled with air . So , had to get out the small donut tire for 1st time . That too was down to 12 p.s.i. and set to 60 that's on side of it . Question is , how long can this be left on ? Don't plan to drive until we get appointment to remove the 3 other snow tires . Had checked the tires a few days before . Hope the donut doesn't lose air . Plan to check it everyday until replaced .

Last edited:
gone completely flat and could not be refilled with air . So , had to get out the small donut tire for 1st time . That too was down to 12 p.s.i. and set to 60 that's on side of it . Question is , how long can this be left on ? Don't plan to drive until we get appointment to remove the 3 other snow tires . Had checked the tires a few days before .
Some people here in Louisiana consider the donut tire a permanent tire.
I think the donut is good for 50 miles. YMMV

What the heck car is it on? Something AWD with center diffs should get this replaced ASAP. Something else, let your conscience be your guide.

I don't think it states the miles allowed on the donut in owners manual . Did drive it with the donut to get the tire looked at and was damaged . That's why I'll leave it parked until there's an appointment found .

Front wheel drive , probably drove a little below 50 miles and tried to keep below 50 m.p.h.. May have gone over it a few times . Was getting tailgaters . Put hazards on occasion and still had a few of them .

if you have winter tires on separate wheels put one of your regular wheels on?

if at all possible put donut on rear if fwd car.

50 Miles.
I was hoping you would quote a more reputable source than a news article.

This is what my 2011 Prius owner's manual states on the subject:

1615746640704.png

It's the rear passenger . Plan to get all the snows replaced . Never used a donut in 30+ years of driving . Had to apply a little WD40 to get the lug nuts off . Did that because I fell backwards when one of the lug nuts loosened :D. The other caught me .

Sorry. It was the 1st article when I GOOGLED it. I will try to live up to your "CRITIC"al standards more "GOODER" next time. :rolleyes:
We should all strive to maintain the quality of this site by only posting content that is accurate and verifiable.

It's the rear passenger . Plan to get all the snows replaced . Never used a donut in 30+ years of driving . Had to applly a little WD40 to get the lug nuts off . Did that because fell backwards when one of the lug nuts loosened :D. Thanks .

On the rear of a FWD car I would say you're okay driving around on it for a little. Obviously you want to get it fixed asap and avoid any roadtrips, but if it takes a day or two for a replacement tire to arrive I wouldn't be concerned.

Have the 4 all season tires in storage . Might as well get snows replaced and hope for good weather . The tire that went flat is a studded tire .

Have the 4 all season tires in storage . Might as well get snows replaced and hope for good weather . The tire that went flat is a studded tire .
Curious, what is considered a snow tire? When I look at tires for sale here in La. I see them rated for different terrains, never snow. Does it have a more aggressive grip/tread for just snow? You stated the flat tire was a studded tire. Is that like spikes in the treads?

Back