Costco tire rotation appts. / very unusual

Let's be honest, making a trip to Costco isn't "planned." It's basically either rush over on lunch break (or anytime during work hours for remote workers), or spur of the moment.

I've always found it suspect that no appointments are available for 5+ days in the future, for the 3 closest to my home.

Then, I check the one near work, and they have appointments today. Problem is I have to pay the bridge toll to get there. I will. I can hit the car wash while across the bridge (monthly).

But my point is, I think it's suspect that 5 Costcos have zero appts well into the future, then 1 has them as soon as this afternoon, and every single day into the future. As if most stores don't use appts, or, on purpose, they book them all so none show up.

I have glanced over at tire shops and have seen zero to one car in the bays, on a weekend. The only one that has no availability as in not ever, is the one in Delaware. People from PA/NJ/DE/MD/VA/DC are all getting tires installed no sales tax.

Think about it, what would you do if you got a flat, wait 7 days and make an appt.?

The disclaimer is walk ins are available. For such a huge organization, they need to improve on scheduling. I once made an appt for right before closing, and was called and told to come in sooner hahahahahahahaha

Unless tires are wearing unevenly, rotation is usually a waste of time. And you can do a rotation in your driveway or garage in less time than it takes to drive there.
Good point, but for me I jack each wheel individually, except the BMW, which I do 2 at a time. But your point is well taken--if I am right about appointments being useless, a trip there can be 2 hours+ in the store. You speak the truth.

Been shopping at Costco for 20 years. Never bought tires there due to their limited selection & location. Generally use Discount or the local shop.
I have been a customer of the once largest online etailer for 3 decades (ordered by phone for my parents). Once I saw Costco has the same tires, same price, BUT, add no sales tax, another $140 off, and free patching (only needed it 1X), $20/wheel mounting/balance, decided to be a tire customer too. Because it helps to make sure our executive membership makes sense (2% rebate plus waiting for a 5% rotating warehouse club category on the chase freedom credit card). net net is we can get the tires cheaper than online, at Costco. We can in fact pick up at the online etailer's DC in DE for tax free as well--cars come from all neighboring states incl. VA, done it once for the snows on rims.

Been shopping at Costco for 20 years. Never bought tires there due to their limited selection & location. Generally use Discount or the local shop.
I have been shopping at Costco for well over twenty years and I have never bought tires anywhere else but Costco in the last twenty plus years (except two cheap tires I purchased from Amazon as a quick stop gap measure).
I buy my tires there due to the a great selection of only top brand tires and excellent prices. They also do a great job with installation and balancing.

I have been shopping at Costco for well over twenty years and I have never bought tires anywhere else but Costco in the last twenty plus years (except two cheap tires I purchased from Amazon as a quick stop gap measure).
I buy my tires there due to the a great selection of only top brand tires and excellent prices. They also do a great job with installation and balancing.
I honestly felt that for one time, when my wife's tire was leaking, that for once, I'm not going to simply plug it myself, it's going to be patched, and for free. And if it couldn't be patched, it would be replaced, I don't have to worry like the few and far between times in the past.

If you have the Michelin Cross Climate 2's, they almost NEED rotation.
My car is RWD and when I eyeball it, it actually looks as if it doesn't need rotation. Because the wheels are uniquely scuffed and peeling, they won't be able to get away with doing nothing without it being apparent. I do know for a fact, when tires get down into the 3-4/32" range, Costco doesn't rotate them anymore. Seems arbitrary.

btw I waited 6 years to get these as the used car came with cheap tires but decided to wear them out. They were worth the wait and every penny ($205 last year when alternatives were over $300)

PILOT SPORT AS4 245/45ZR18 100Y XL BSW UHP ALL SEASON TIRE

Let's be honest, making a trip to Costco isn't "planned." It's basically either rush over on lunch break (or anytime during work hours for remote workers), or spur of the moment.

I've always found it suspect that no appointments are available for 5+ days in the future, for the 3 closest to my home.

Then, I check the one near work, and they have appointments today. Problem is I have to pay the bridge toll to get there. I will. I can hit the car wash while across the bridge (monthly).

But my point is, I think it's suspect that 5 Costcos have zero appts well into the future, then 1 has them as soon as this afternoon, and every single day into the future. As if most stores don't use appts, or, on purpose, they book them all so none show up.

I have glanced over at tire shops and have seen zero to one car in the bays, on a weekend. The only one that has no availability as in not ever, is the one in Delaware. People from PA/NJ/DE/MD/VA/DC are all getting tires installed no sales tax.

Think about it, what would you do if you got a flat, wait 7 days and make an appt.?

The disclaimer is walk ins are available. For such a huge organization, they need to improve on scheduling. I once made an appt for right before closing, and was called and told to come in sooner hahahahahahahaha

Depends on the Costco.
The last time that I put tires on the Accord, I went to Costco for price.
I priced them at the Costco closest to me and got a price.
I then ended up going to another Costco on the other side of town, in a somewhat rural area.
Price was $30. less than the estimate that I got at the first Costco.
Needed them rotated. Went to my closest Costco again.
Inquired about an appointment from a rather surly and gnarly looking woman who had taken over the service desk.
She snarled at me that it would be three weeks out for their first appointment, and that I would need to schedule it here (handed me a sticker with a website.)
Got on the site and scheduled an appointment at the Costco that I bought the tires at the same day.
Guess which one I go to now?

Depends on the Costco.
The last time that I put tires on the Accord, I went to Costco for price.
I priced them at the Costco closest to me and got a price.
I then ended up going to another Costco on the other side of town, in a somewhat rural area.
Price was $30. less than the estimate that I got at the first Costco.
Needed them rotated. Went to my closest Costco again.
Inquired about an appointment from a rather surly and gnarly looking woman who had taken over the service desk.
She snarled at me that it would be three weeks out for their first appointment, and that I would need to schedule it here (handed me a sticker with a website.)
Got on the site and scheduled an appointment at the Costco that I bought the tires at the same day.
Guess which one I go to now?
Unless you enjoy the presence of women that snarl, I have a very good idea which one... :ROFLMAO:

My costco is usually a week out for appts. And when I go there for said appts, there are tons of people that are walk ins. Their tire department is always busy.

Only problem I have with Costco tires is they only sell top line tires. Sometimes you don't want the best.

CostCo isn't in the tire business-only. As everyone knows they sell others stuff. If you buy tires from Costco-you should know what you are getting in to for tire rotations and the like.

You want service? Go to your neighborhood tire shop or Discount Tire.

Can’t stand the place anymore - crowded - family shoppers block all the aisles - not even sure we saved much money there …
I’m all about price and then quality. It’s interesting that some reflect positively about chain tire stores. My friend went to one and was not told about the rebate and she was livid. I can understand why. You’re selling people sets of tires close to $1,000, she didn’t see the rebate on the counter, be courteous, bring it to her attention.

A costco tire supervisor (long story it was on a warranty replacement) actually stood in line with me 8/20, and told the girl behind the customer service desk to issue me a $140 credit. She asked why and he joked, “just do it, I said so.” And she did.

The oddity I’m pointing out isn’t price nor service, but odd scheduling…

Rejoined for the first time in 11 years. Not even close to what it was in the past.
It was not the intention for us when we joined in 2009. But there’s no question in my mind that Costco and Walmart are two different realms. Like the YMCA, and various swim clubs that where I live cost $3050 for Memorial Day to Labor Day (it’s not exclusive in any way other than the cost, just like costco).

Put it this way. I shop at Walmart, we swim at the Y, and we belong to Costco. I get why until recently, they never promo’d nor discounted memberships. They recently began cracking down on folks passing a membership to another or loaning one out. The campaign seems to have lasted a month and no longer (why do they they allow anyone to shop with a gift card).

In NJ they never asked for memberships on gas until recently. One town threatened to sue and costco caved.

Edit ps contrast to BJs. Their $55 membership is always $20/yr or free for 90 days.

Another good thing is never any questions asked on returns and yet lowest shrink in the industry. I appreciated that when my wife’s car wouldn’t start. I got a new battery despite it passing a load test at home. I felt that by doing so it would rule out the battery. Never happened since.

Last edited:
Back