Went to Mavis for tires!

Made a 12 pm Saturday appt at a local Mavis for two tires. When I got there he told me they would call when it's done. I asked what time would that be?
About 5 pm was the reply. I had to ask exactly what purpose does an appointment serve? No answer, just a blank stare. I couldn't wait and I couldn't walk home so I left. That's trip #1

Sunday at 9 am (opening) I went to a different, more local Mavis and left my car and walked home. That's trip #2. At 4 pm, since they close at 5 pm, I decided to walk back even though they never called. Got there about 4:15 and the car was still on the lift. Waited till 5:15 for it to be done. That's trip #3. Monday morning at work, I take a good look at my nice new tires and discover they put on the right tires but in the wrong size. Immediately call them. They tell me I can come Tuesday and they will fix it. Good I say, be there about 4 pm. Tuesday at 10 am, Mavis calls me to ask if I intend to keep my 8 am appointment. I don't have an 8 am appt. I tell 'em, I'm coming at 4 pm and by the way, as long as I have you on the phone, I need such and such tires. Ok sir, no problem. Arrive at 4 PM. They look but can't find the tires. Must have sold 'em, gotta come back Wed. That's now trip #4 and I am kinda losing my patience. Come back Wed. Good news they have my tires (funny story she says, they were here yesterday, she just didn't see them. That story was funnier to her than it was to me). Anyway, they get me in and out in less 45 minutes so I'm happy. Tires look good so home I go. That's trip #5. Home for all of 10 minutes and they call me to let me know that they did forget to put back on one of my little miniature hub caps on the side of the car that I failed to inspect so back I go to retrieve that. That's trip #6 and finally done with a 2 tire purchase at Mavis.

Discount Tire really needs to come to the east coast, but unfortunately they seem to be afraid of the northeast :alien: :poop:
I hope they're not afraid of Mavis! The only appeal of Mavis, at least to me, is that they have Sunday hours. ETD and a few more local tire shops are all closed Sunday and have limited Saturday hours.

Didn't know she sold tires!

Mavis-Beacon-Teaches-Typing-cover-art.jpg

Yet another confirmation of why I use local mom and pop businesses if at all possible. My last few sets of tires I paid about $20 more at my mom and pop tire store over what the national chains charge, but I can drop in with a tire and wheel off my John Deere, boat trailer, landscape trailer etc and they’ll bend over backwards to earn my business.

Discount Tire really needs to come to the east coast, but unfortunately they seem to be afraid of the northeast...
I don't believe "afraid" is the accurate term. After speaking with a manager or two, I think aspects of the NE don't currently fit in their business model. The cost of property and perhaps labor considerations are major aspects in currently not entering the NE. If by afraid, means making a prudent business decision, then yeah. But I don't think how it's intended here. ;) That said, must be doing something right if they are wanted. Maybe some day.

To topic, I don't like to judge an entire operation based on a singular anecdote. That said, haven't read many if any complimentary comments about Mavis.

No Mavis or DT around here in CT. Lots of local chains (like Town Fair Tire). Last set I ordered from Tire Rack, with a discount to pick up at their warehouse which is close. Local Mazda dealership has Road Force mount and balance for $40/tire including disposal. Not cheap on either end, but at least I know what I am getting.

Remind me never to go to a Mavis. And I almost went there for an alignment.

SimpleTire site is all but unusable... I find tires on Amazon, they are usually available, order filled through Priority Tire, Simple Tire or DT/DTD, pay through Amazon.. $25 per tire (at my local shop I do business with) gets you balanced mounted all that. A good shop is hard to find. Maybe that's a lot. They sure do make money.

This place, They even put my preferred "Directional" tires on (for INSIDE and OUTSIDE markings with the arrow) on properly now. One time they didn't. All they could say was.. "Oh."

Found somewhere that should be able to do my alignment...........

I'll never do business with them again, I said that several years ago, and three tire purchases later I stuck to my word. I took my 88 E-150 in for tires and an alignment, the shop was busy. I could see one customer after another getting called into the shop being alerted of "problems." That's fine, if there's really a problem. At the time the van had brakes on it that were about 6 months old with about 3K miles on them, so they couldn't tell me I needed brakes. Instead when I got called in they told me I needed "ball joints." About two weeks prior I had a NYS inspection at a shop I trusted and asked that while the van was on the lift they check the front end out because I was going for tires. I was told the front end was perfect, which I already knew, but why not double check anyway?

When I went in to see my problem the service writer and the tech said "you see this here?" Mind you this was after the new tires were on, and they destroyed four center caps smashing them out, that I needed "ball joints." The moron was pointing to a king pin, and said you see all the grease here, these ball joints are bad, they're unsafe and worn. I said really. Do me a favor, don't do the wheel alignment. I was asked why, and simply said if you're going to try and screw someone at least know the name of the part you're trying to screw someone them out of. That part is called a king pin! A tie rod might have been a better part to try and screw me out of. They were not happy I canceled the alignment, and tried the hard up-sell telling me I had to get an alignment or the tires would wear out fast. I said you can't do a proper alignment with bad front end parts can you? That ended the alignment. Then I asked why did they smash four center caps out, and not inform me first that they couldn't get them out. I paid for the four tires less four center caps and took it to a shop that knew how to do an alignment, and Mavis lost my business, my family's business, and any friends who ask for a tire shop. Had I been warned the center caps couldn't be removed I would have understood and said OK these things happen.

I worked with my hands for well over 40 years in my own business. I have a lot of respect for all trades and all people who bust their asses working with their hands. What I don't like is a thief working for commission trying to hose people, and I have no problem stopping them dead in their tracks. Rant off!

If you search Mavis online for prices you will find an added charge for "Installation Center Overhead and Stocking Fee". For a 215-55-17 Weatheready by me that is $4 per tire added to price when added to cart. They do have specials sometimes that reduces that but really?

I live in NC and pretty sure it's the east coast, lmao, and have a DT 5 mins away...
Tires plus is the same company. They have them in Florida so if I’m not mistaken that’s in the Southeast.
Doesn't count! Too far :p

They have some in Virginia, but they need to come up a little more ;)

DT also has stores under their own name in Florida, mostly in the Orlando area.

Corporate America looks at the cost of doing business in the north east and it's frightening. But with a well above house hold income to spend especially where I live is ridiculous people just spend and spend without blinking a eye it's crazy.
I don't believe "afraid" is the accurate term. After speaking with a manager or two, I think aspects of the NE don't currently fit in their business model. The cost of property and perhaps labor considerations are major aspects in currently not entering the NE. If by afraid, means making a prudent business decision, then yeah. But I don't think how it's intended here. ;) That said, must be doing something right if they are wanted. Maybe some day.

To topic, I don't like to judge an entire operation based on a singular anecdote. That said, haven't read many if any complimentary comments about Mavis.
They have shops in California (under the name America's tire), including expensive SF and LA areas.

I'll never do business with them again, I said that several years ago, and three tire purchases later I stuck to my word. I took my 88 E-150 in for tires and an alignment, the shop was busy. I could see one customer after another getting called into the shop being alerted of "problems." That's fine, if there's really a problem. At the time the van had brakes on it that were about 6 months old with about 3K miles on them, so they couldn't tell me I needed brakes. Instead when I got called in they told me I needed "ball joints." About two weeks prior I had a NYS inspection at a shop I trusted and asked that while the van was on the lift they check the front end out because I was going for tires. I was told the front end was perfect, which I already knew, but why not double check anyway?

When I went in to see my problem the service writer and the tech said "you see this here?" Mind you this was after the new tires were on, and they destroyed four center caps smashing them out, that I needed "ball joints." The moron was pointing to a king pin, and said you see all the grease here, these ball joints are bad, they're unsafe and worn. I said really. Do me a favor, don't do the wheel alignment. I was asked why, and simply said if you're going to try and screw someone at least know the name of the part you're trying to screw someone them out of. That part is called a king pin! A tie rod might have been a better part to try and screw me out of. They were not happy I canceled the alignment, and tried the hard up-sell telling me I had to get an alignment or the tires would wear out fast. I said you can't do a proper alignment with bad front end parts can you? That ended the alignment. Then I asked why did they smash four center caps out, and not inform me first that they couldn't get them out. I paid for the four tires less four center caps and took it to a shop that knew how to do an alignment, and Mavis lost my business, my family's business, and any friends who ask for a tire shop. Had I been warned the center caps couldn't be removed I would have understood and said OK these things happen.

I worked with my hands for well over 40 years in my own business. I have a lot of respect for all trades and all people who bust their asses working with their hands. What I don't like is a thief working for commission trying to hose people, and I have no problem stopping them dead in their tracks. Rant off!

Another reason we need DT in the northeast. They don't upsell!

Walmart doesn't upsell, either, but only a few Walmarts have tires, and the wait time is 4 hours.

If you search Mavis online for prices you will find an added charge for "Installation Center Overhead and Stocking Fee". For a 215-55-17 Weatheready by me that is $4 per tire added to price when added to cart. They do have specials sometimes that reduces that but really?

I've seen that fee as high as $20 on tires that size or even smaller!

I sat in a large local tire chain place for 2.5hrs last year, having 4 tires installed on our Pathfinder.

I made my appointment two weeks in advance and was their first appointment of the day. People came in after me for various services and we out the door before me.

They claimed they were short staffed.

Back