Is mavis supposed to plug tires or patch them for repair?

So I went to Mavis to get a nail puncture repaired and an oil change.

When I got the car back, I saw that they used a regular “stick-in” plug and not a patch. And they charged me $25 for it.

I know that regular plugs can be ok. But Im frustrated that they didn’t patch the tire. I thought all Major tire shops, Mavis Discount Tires/Discount tires patch tires for puncture repair.

Also doesn’t Mavis/Discount Tire plug tires for free? I thought Mavis Discount tire is just the Discount tire of the northeast. I didn’t think I would pay for this. I know most chain shops charge for this Otherwise I would have went to another shop which patched a tire for me before.

If I wanted a plug, I could’ve done it myself. Or if it was an emergency and had to get back on the road.

If you went to discount tire and saw your tire was plugged not patched, would you ask for a refund or for them to do it again the right way?

"they aren't mind readers"

Most people want their tire to hold air and are unconcerned about the method used; if you want to specify the method, specify it.

I have had 6+ plugs in various tires; none have let me down; the most recent was < 1 month ago.

mavis anything is not related to discount tire.

Also how do you know they didnt use a patch/plug ?
image_2023-05-11_200127147.jpg

Mavis is not related to DT.

I don't care whether they plug or patch, as long as tire holds air again. Most people don't care what method they use, as long as the tire holds air again and doesn't leak anymore.

Had a tire on my Camry with a very slow leak. The local tire shop found and fixed. No idea if they plugged it or patched it. They said $15 cash or $25 credit card.

My wife's RAV4 had a leak last week and we took it to a different local tire shop that is open on the weekends. They close at 6 but they were open when we drive past at 8pm. The manager guy looked a bit toasty. He said they found a nail in the tire and fixed it. No charge because we had road hazard warranty. I was unsure that we paid for that so I checked our receipt when I got home. We didn't even buy the tires from this tire shop. I checked the tire pressure and they only filled to 32 psi when it should be 35 psi. So far, so good, the tire is not leaking.

I have had 6+ plugs in various tires; none have let me down; the most recent was < 1 month ago.
There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with a properly installed plug patch. The main thing is to properly ream the hole, and use fresh plugs and cement. And the warmer it is when you do it, the better.

I put in a plug over 6 months ago, and it hasn't lost a pound of pressure in that time.

So I went to Mavis to get a nail puncture repaired and an oil change.

When I got the car back, I saw that they used a regular “stick-in” plug and not a patch. And they charged me $25 for it.

I know that regular plugs can be ok. But Im frustrated that they didn’t patch the tire. I thought all Major tire shops, Mavis Discount Tires/Discount tires patch tires for puncture repair.

Also doesn’t Mavis/Discount Tire plug tires for free? I thought Mavis Discount tire is just the Discount tire of the northeast. I didn’t think I would pay for this. I know most chain shops charge for this Otherwise I would have went to another shop which patched a tire for me before.

If I wanted a plug, I could’ve done it myself. Or if it was an emergency and had to get back on the road.

If you went to discount tire and saw your tire was plugged not patched, would you ask for a refund or for them to do it again the right way?
There is a chance it is more than just a simple plug repair. Many shops are now using what is known as a "plug/patch." Some will even tell you the old style plug/repair kits are now outlawed while the same places have them FOR SALE on the shelves. Yeah right. :rolleyes:
Of course you likely would have said "ouch" when presented with the bill because some places use it as an excuse to INFLATE not only the tire but also the work sheet total. They are really a good, second layer of safety. I would opt for that repair in a vehicle a wife and kids ride in,

Attachments

• tireplugpatch.jpg
    tireplugpatch.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
  • plugpatch.jpg
    plugpatch.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 15
There is a chance it is more than just a simple plug repair. Many shops are now using what is known as a "plug/patch." Some will even tell you the old style plug/repair kits are now outlawed while the same places have them FOR SALE on the shelves. Yeah right. :rolleyes:
Of course you likely would have said "ouch" when presented with the bill because some places use it as an excuse to INFLATE not only the tire but also the work sheet total. They are really a good, second layer of safety. I would opt for that repair in a vehicle a wife and kids ride in,
It wasn’t a plug patch, it was a stick on plug.

“Many shops are now using what is known as a "plug/patch."

That’s what I thought too! That’s why I went to Mavis tire and not an independent shop. I don’t mind paying $25 for a patch. That’s what I want. But to be charged $25 for a tire plug is a ripoff. I have tire plugs in the trunk. I’d only use those in emergencies, not when I can drive to a tire shop.

The tire wasn’t even leaking air. I just wanted to fix it before it started leaking.

Update: Just spoke with Mavis customer support.

The person on the line says that Mavis Discount Tire doesn’t use patches for repair and all shops use plugs. They put a “sealant” on the plug to help them seal better or whatever that means.

I’m surprised. I really thought all tire shops prefer patches since that’s the industry standard repair

Moral of the story is, don’t get your tire repaired at Mavis Discount Tire. They’ll just stick a plug in your tire. If you’re paying for the repair, you should get a patch/plug installed.

I have never had a a problem with using just string plugs. The NHTSA considers only a patch/plug combo acceptable. Local tire shops have for many years insisted on plug/patch combo repairs for liability reasons.

The only blowout I ever had was a plug/patch letting go. Not saying there inferior, just saying they can. Car started handling poorly and by the time I got pulled over - I started in the left lane - it was pretty much out of air. The hole where the plug / patch had been seemed really big. Might have been a function of driving it soft, but I could put my pinky in the hole.

I just use plugs now.

I went to Costco and nail was too close to the edge couldn't patch it. I went to local place I've done many mountings (TR recommended installer) and they said plug patch wouldn't hold but regular plug with sealer no issue. That was many months ago.

I've only gone to Mavis a couple times over the years due to time/availability etc like trailer flat. They have a serious Bait and Switch advertised pricing and then tack on an "overhead stocking fee" for a couple $ per tire. Road hazard is pricey. Do random quote with mounting and look at details.

Back