FL - Ford 08 4.6L 5w-20 recommended

So you've done a study (in confirmation bias)?
Nope.
I’ve seen some data from several engines in various conditions over the course of several years that shows a correlation between wear metals and viscosity. Most of these were UOAs that other people had done and I looked at, made mental notes of it at the time. Nothing I can provide evidence for at this point.
Perhaps I’ll revise my post so as to avoid further confusion.

The fact is, the Modular Ford will live a long life with just about any decent oil in them, be it a xx-20, -30, -40, or whatever as long as it’s within reason. I just suggest a 30 grade due to my experience with these particular engines and my own opinions on how they perform best.

Nope.
I’ve seen some data from several engines in various conditions over the course of several years that shows a correlation between wear metals and viscosity. Most of these were UOAs that other people had done and I looked at, made mental notes of it at the time. Nothing I can provide evidence for at this point.
Perhaps I’ll revise my post so as to avoid further confusion.

The fact is, the Modular Ford will live a long life with just about any decent oil in them, be it a xx-20, -30, -40, or whatever as long as it’s within reason. I just suggest a 30 grade due to my experience with these particular engines and my own opinions on how they perform best.

That sort of correlation cannot be made based on the minute variances in PPM shown on UOA's. That's not the purpose of the tool and they lack the resolution. A good read on the subject can be found here, taken from the main page:

That sort of correlation cannot be made based on the minute variances in PPM shown on UOA's. That's not the purpose of the tool and they lack the resolution. A good read on the subject can be found here, taken from the main page:
Hmm, that’s good to know. Thanks

What car/Truck/Suv are we talking about here? The title of your post is 08 Ford. I assumed we were talking about Mustangs.

I just looked it up and Ford made the 2v all the way up to 2014 in the E Series.

I'm in the same boat as you. I had no idea Ford continued to make the 2v after 2004. I thought they were all 3v.

Wife has 204k on hers with M-1. 5w-20. Used a little oil until she switched to M-1EP.

The oil she replaced in early March is still clean as a whistle. You can’t beat M-1 for detergent additives.

Some 0w20's are thicker than some 5w20's at operating temp. The first one that comes to mind is M1 HM.

And yeah if I drained my oil and it was clean, I'd think hmm... all that stuff stayed in the engine I guess. Unless I knew the engine was spotless already.

I have had many, many years of experience with these from years on the PD. Every single one of them were run on a steady diet of 20 grades and they developed consumption issues at around 100k. By 120k or so it became notable, and alarming by 150k. I don't know if it was the 20 grades but I just don't believe it helped.

They are near bullet proof engines, if it were mine it'd get Rotella 10w30 or an Euro oil, something with a much higher HTHS.

I will second this. We ran Rotella 15w-40 in our CVPI's year round in VA.
I worked for an agency in central Va that put Delvac 1300 15w40 in everything from school buses to Prius and all in between. Only police engine we lost hydro locked when the deputy tried to cross a creek.

Last edited:
I have had many, many years of experience with these from years on the PD. Every single one of them were run on a steady diet of 20 grades and they developed consumption issues at around 100k. By 120k or so it became notable, and alarming by 150k. I don't know if it was the 20 grades but I just don't believe it helped.

They are near bullet proof engines, if it were mine it'd get Rotella 10w30 or an Euro oil, something with a much higher HTHS.

That's not exactly typical usage, and I doubt the PD used synthetic XW-20. In any case those cruisers are long gone by 100K by any dept that is not a County Sheriff, around here anyways...

We used bulk Castrol conventional 5w20 at 5k OCI's, but of course the idle time was sky high. Not all departments have money, cars with 150k+ were very common and there were some north of 200k still in service. By contrast they Highway Patrol here retires vehicles at 60k.

We used 5w20 & 5w30 in the 96' 4.6 Crown Vic.
Still running with 360,000 miles. Major rust will cause us to retire the car soon.

Back