FL - Ford 08 4.6L 5w-20 recommended

Looking at available information online, I should be able to use 0w-20 as a replacement. Currently using Mobile 1 synthetic 5w-20, have option to use a full synthetic Costco brand 0w-20 at a significant cost savings. This is in central FL where we rarely see temp lower than 32 deg. F, just do not want to do any harm to the engine.

You should be fine with the 0w-20 versus the 5w-20. The "20" is the important part.

I have a 98 4.6L that has 250,000 miles on it using mostly Walmart 5w-30 synthetic. Looks great under the cam covers and still runs like new.

Ford OEM Spec is 5w-20, not -30, so I am not inclined to increase the viscosity of the oil at operating temp, only have 65k miles on it. I know the 0w is rated at -35 deg. F starting temp, and the 5w is rated at -30 deg. F. and again in FL we never even approach those conditions.

Ford OEM Spec is 5w-20, not -30, so I am not inclined to increase the viscosity of the oil at operating temp, only have 65k miles on it. I know the 0w is rated at -35 deg. F starting temp, and the 5w is rated at -30 deg. F. and again in FL we never even approach those conditions.
Ford called for 5W-20 starting in the early 2000s, revising the original specification for 5W-30.

I can assure you that there are no differences whatsoever between the engines that called for 5W-30 and the later ones calling for 5W-20. It was only changed for a minor increase in fuel economy. I’ve seen slightly better wear numbers in UOAs with 5W-30 as compared to 5W-20, but the difference is so small it’s unlikely you will ever see it in service.

If it’s cost savings you’re looking for, pick up some Costco brand 5W-30 and run it for 10k intervals. I would run 5W-30 if nothing else just to give it more buffer to be in an acceptable viscosity range, to be more resistant to shearing or dilution should either of those occur.

Heck, in Florida I would run a 10W-30, that’s what I use in the Ford modular engines I own and service here and they last hundreds of thousands of miles.

That being said, it’s your engine and you can run whatever you want in it, and yes, 0W-20 will work the same as a 5W-20 in your application, except it will being slightly less shear stable in theory.

Its funny - in the early days of this board, what dominated conversation was the back specification of 5w20 by Ford in so many engines, including these. I even joined this board over 18 years ago over that specific topic.

Fast forward 18 years, and this still gets debated...

Reality is use any quality xw20 or x30 oil in these units and look forward to a long lasting engine. Beyond that is picking at hairs...

Ford called for 5W-20 starting in the early 2000s, revising the original specification for 5W-30.

I can assure you that there are no differences whatsoever between the engines that called for 5W-30 and the later ones calling for 5W-20. It was only changed for a minor increase in fuel economy. I’ve seen slightly better wear numbers in UOAs with 5W-30 as compared to 5W-20, but the difference is so small it’s unlikely you will ever see it in service.

If it’s cost savings you’re looking for, pick up some Costco brand 5W-30 and run it for 10k intervals. I would run 5W-30 if nothing else just to give it more buffer to be in an acceptable viscosity range, to be more resistant to shearing or dilution should either of those occur.

Heck, in Florida I would run a 10W-30, that’s what I use in the Ford modular engines I own and service here and they last hundreds of thousands of miles.

That being said, it’s your engine and you can run whatever you want in it, and yes, 0W-20 will work the same as a 5W-20 in your application, except it will being slightly less shear stable in theory.
Thank you for providing the full gambit of information, I will be running the 5w-30 Costco brand after I run out of the Mobile 1. Just wanted to do what is right, so much information on the interweb.

Was forced by a Kia Soul to find a replacement for my 97 F250 7.3L, found this cherry at a local dealership, for a reasonable price and want it to last.

My dad ran 20w50 in his 95 Mercury Grand Marquis. I advise him against that but he told me that's the only oil he ever used in anything.

The 2v 4.6 engines were pretty much bulletproof.

And very easy on motor oil, I remember seeing a UOA posted here from someone who ran Mobil 1 0w20 AFE in a 4.6L for 15,000 miles and neither the engine nor the oil were worse for wear. Like I eluded to in my previous post, I don't think this engine is picky about oil viscosity and it is really up to user preference :)

Thank you for providing the full gambit of information, I will be running the 5w-30 Costco brand after I run out of the Mobile 1. Just wanted to do what is right, so much information on the interweb.

Was forced by a Kia Soul to find a replacement for my 97 F250 7.3L, found this cherry at a local dealership, for a reasonable price and want it to last.
I lived in Tampa, FL. for 25 years (1987-2012). All I ran in my F150's was 5W30.
I miss the gun shows at the Palmetto/Bradenton Convention Center.

That engine will take 15w40 all day long and not complain.
The 2v 4.6 engines were pretty much bulletproof.

The 2v 4.6 engines were bulletproof. At one time there were 4 of them in my family. We all ran 5w20 Mobil 1. On one of them we used 5w30 but it used a quart of oil between oil changes. When we went to 5w20 it used zero oil between oil changes. This is in jungle heat and traffic all year long with a/c constantly on.

Reactions: JC1
Back