Quietest oil used/oil recommendation for '16 KIA Forte

Valvoline 5w30 HM C3, if you can find it. My father's Toyota Yaris 2006 you can’t hear the engine. My wife several times turn on or tun off the key when the engine is running. She has no problem with the ears, she turning off the central heating during the winter cause of noise….

Hi everyone; long time lurker, first time posting. :) I have had my '16 Forte for 3 years... but I've always noticed the engine is not as quiet as it could be. Sometimes it ticks on cold start or maybe has minor piston slap, especially when the engine is cold. Initially it was louder when I first bought the car (used), but I still notice it at times. I have 52,XXX miles, it burns no oil & my oil change interval is 5,000 miles or less with full synthetic as my driving is "severe." Mostly city stop/go driving & idling in extreme temps (100-115°F Summers).

I know my car accepts 5W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30, but I'm currently running Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40. I decided to try it once because the Cerato (also known as the Forte in other markets) accepts 0W-40 (as well as 5W-40, 15W-40 etc.).

So, what oil made your KIA quieter, or what oil would you recommend? Thank you all in advance. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
--Michael(y)
QSUP 5w40

I know on our 2012 Mazda 5 that I used Mobil 1 in it and it was noisy. I switched it to Havoline and it was much quieter. I am now using the latest Quaker State and it is a very quiet oil. It is so quiet that wife and I got to a store to go shopping and it was still running even though I thought I had turned it off, Fortunately the doors won't lock if it is running with the key in the ignition.

Hi everyone; long time lurker, first time posting. :) I have had my '16 Forte for 3 years... but I've always noticed the engine is not as quiet as it could be. Sometimes it ticks on cold start or maybe has minor piston slap, especially when the engine is cold. Initially it was louder when I first bought the car (used), but I still notice it at times. I have 52,XXX miles, it burns no oil & my oil change interval is 5,000 miles or less with full synthetic as my driving is "severe." Mostly city stop/go driving & idling in extreme temps (100-115°F Summers).

I know my car accepts 5W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30, but I'm currently running Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40. I decided to try it once because the Cerato (also known as the Forte in other markets) accepts 0W-40 (as well as 5W-40, 15W-40 etc.).

So, what oil made your KIA quieter, or what oil would you recommend? Thank you all in advance. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
--Michael(y)
🤗 welcome.

No oil will quiet your engine. Turn the radio volume up. 🙄. What engine do you have in that car? Is it direct injection or multi port? Anyway, if you’re following a severe oil change interval, 5w20 or 30 is fine, any off the shelf oil will work for your situation I wouldn’t be spending bookoo bucks on oil

Try
Valvoline EP 5W-30 and
M1 EP 10W-30
and report back.
Both good oils but not the cheapest ...
We'll wait for your sound report.

Central CA, I ditch the 0W.
You are dead-nuts on reporting both Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 10w30 and Valvoline EP making things under our hoods sound quieter. I experienced the same and expecting even more improvement with Amsoil, HPL and Red Line in the next two years.

So far my Amsoil Euro review does not sound encouraging (no pun intended). Experiment with it continues.

1qt of Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer
+
1qt of Lucas High Mileage oil stabilizer
+
1qt of Lucas Pure Synthetic oil stabilizer
+
1qt of Marvel Mystery Oil
+
.2qt of your favorite motor oil (can be substituted with 6.4oz of TC-W3 oil)
That's quite a Frankenblend and how fitting your Avatar depicts a Frankensomething-someone too.
Hey - when the shoe fits - wear it. Job well done Graham (y)

🤗 welcome.

No oil will quiet your engine. Turn the radio volume up. 🙄. What engine do you have in that car? Is it direct injection or multi port? Anyway, if you’re following a severe oil change interval, 5w20 or 30 is fine, any off the shelf oil will work for your situation I wouldn’t be spending bookoo bucks on oil
What's "bookoo"?

CASTROL Edge w/ Titanium 5w-30 was quite quiet for warmer months . Used once .

Last edited:
Havoline HM was very quiet in my vehicles and so was the new Valvoline Extended Protection. For the piston slap run a 10w30, it helped for my previous C1500 and Cutlass Supreme

He misspelled beaucoup...which is pronounced "bōˈ-ku".
Where I'm from in LA it's pronounced 6, maybe 8 different ways. Lotsa folks add the p, some say bea-cyu, some just kinda grunt it, but bookoo is pretty common. I took 8-9 years of French and though I know the correct way, you learn that Louisiana French is more of mish-mash thing of its own.

True, though his is the 1.8 mpi so no gdi or turbo. No problem.
That would not be the case, as the NU1.8 liter from some engine plants did not come with under piston dome squirts, and have been attributed to blown engines by a couple of lead Hyundai techs I talked to. My NU 1.8 liter lasted 14,000 miles with Mobil 1 and Walmart full synthetic changed every 3,000 miles. Galled up the piston skirts and tossed aluminum debris through out the engine.

That would not be the case, as the NU1.8 liter from some engine plants did not come with under piston dome squirts, and have been attributed to blown engines by a couple of lead Hyundai techs I talked to. My NU 1.8 liter lasted 14,000 miles with Mobil 1 and Walmart full synthetic changed every 3,000 miles. Galled up the piston skirts and tossed aluminum debris through out the engine.
Where was it made? What grade oil did you use? Revved the engine much?

Back