Quietest oil used/oil recommendation for '16 KIA Forte

Hi everyone; long time lurker, first time posting. :) I have had my '16 Forte for 3 years... but I've always noticed the engine is not as quiet as it could be. Sometimes it ticks on cold start or maybe has minor piston slap, especially when the engine is cold. Initially it was louder when I first bought the car (used), but I still notice it at times. I have 52,XXX miles, it burns no oil & my oil change interval is 5,000 miles or less with full synthetic as my driving is "severe." Mostly city stop/go driving & idling in extreme temps (100-115°F Summers).

I know my car accepts 5W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30, but I'm currently running Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40. I decided to try it once because the Cerato (also known as the Forte in other markets) accepts 0W-40 (as well as 5W-40, 15W-40 etc.).

So, what oil made your KIA quieter, or what oil would you recommend? Thank you all in advance. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
--Michael(y)

Last edited:
any synthetic in the 5w30 flavor.... but only use OEM filters
Why, they don't filter that good, by Hyundai own posting the filtering spec that was lower then most average oil filters at the time. And if you are in the USA there is no worry on warranty if you use a name brand oil filter that matches the # that manufacture has spec for the car. Hyundai just brainwashes people they need their filter, and people seem to follow the propaganda for the need of ONLY a Hyundai/Kia oil filter fearing a warranty issue. I had a Fram Ultra on a Hyundai that the motor tanked and they said I might not get warranty. I said BS the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act says I can legally use any manufacture's oil filter designed for my car. Never a word about the filter or warranty ever was brought up again. I received a new motor without issue. Good old strong arm BS from Hyunda/Kia that keeps getting perpetuated by FUD ( fear, uncertainty, and doubt) and the internet sucking it up hook line and sinker. Nothing special about a Hyundai/Kia filter other then Hyundai/Kia's bad engine design'S that Hyundai/Kia "thought" ( Hail Mary thought) it could be coming from high quality good filtering filters. Which after 12 years of multi badly designed engines and bad manufacturing process, the consensus comes down to the oil filter has NOTHING to do with the tanked engines. Design and manufacturing is Hyundai/Kia's problem. Good filtering is more important for a Hyundai/KIa as the oil gets far dirtier earlier then most engines because of their bad design's and metallurgy choice. You can use what you want, but you just are using a questionable filtering filter because of manufacture and internet FUD propaganda.

Interesting long post, but....
As a long time lurker you would have seen thd post by a FRAM engineer on the following.
Use OE filters to ensure engine gets proper oil pressure. Kia/Hyundai engines are unusual in their oil pressure setup. That also removes one variable in you noise reduction quest.

Isn't the 2016 still the infamous 2.0 Nu engine with the piston slap problems? No oil will fix manufacturing issues.
Yes. I think Hyunda/Kia make only one actually good engine that doesn't break the moment the warranty ends if you only do bare minimum maintenance and that would be the late gen Lambda v6 engine's with MPI that are so oldschool they make toyota look modern.

If its not piston slap, its clogged cylinder rings, or lack of oil in cylinder 4, or carbon build up on the valves, etc.

My son has a '10 Forte with 2.0 motor with 175k on it. It is very noisy at startup. I tried factory filters with different oils, Fram Ultra's and Purolator, all the same. Oils were mostly M1 or PP, maybe a QSUD that was on sale. I usually used 5W20 per spec. I tried some 0W20 to see if it would help initial startup noise, it didn't. It's noisy for a couple minutes until it warms up then quiets down. If you find an oil or combination that is better let me know.

I bought it used for I think $2500, 4 years and 30k miles ago. It had Pep Boys or Firestone oil changes most of it's life prior. It was noisy at start when I got it, still now. It got my son through balance of college years and now to PA school. Tight parking spots = rubs/scrapes and not really worried. It starts everyday, AC works, has good tunes, good brakes, decent tires.

Your choice of oil filter brand may be what's causing your sold start chatter.
Try another brand, one that has a silicone ADBV. OEM (Hyundai / Kia oil filter purchase would be the best way to troubleshoot the noise. If you can't find the filter at auto parts, go to the dealer.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

Your choice of oil filter brand may be what's causing your sold start chatter.
Try another brand, one that has a silicone ADBV. OEM (Hyundai / Kia oil filter purchase would be the best way to troubleshoot the noise. If you can't find the filter at auto parts, go to the dealer.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.
I'll need to grab a couple OEM's to try again on his. It's currently on Fram Ultra and has been mostly like the rest of my vehicles.

If the 16 Forte is still noisy on the Fram Ultra, then the chatter is not a result of the oil filter.
Most times, chatter with these Kia engines originally starts when either the oil got too diluted and the OCI length was too long. Or, the engine was allowed to be run low on oil.

Lots of oil supplements out there to troubleshoot the sound. My favorite is still the old-school Rislone. IT's quieted a few different engines I tried it on. BTW.... none of those engines were mine....lol.

Back