First UOA

Just took my first sample....I haven't done one so far as I always change early (at least by bitog standards).
Just under 5k miles, around 4.5 months and down to 6% oil life according to the olm.
I've always wanted to do one but it will cost me about the same as an oil change so I would prefer to just change early as the engine did have a sludge problem from (or exacerbated by a plugged PCV in the drivers valve cover) which was fixed a couple years ago now.

My main reason for taking the sample at this time is checking for coolant intrusion, as the catch can has started to collect more moisture than normal.

Going to send the sample out tomorrow and hopefully it's not too long before I get results. Fingers crossed, no coolant.

20240425_152701~2.jpg

Hope you get some positive news.

Taking it down to 6% is further than many here would go, I run to 0% :oops:
Just came back to post that the hours were roughly 215 for that OCI. So 23mph average, despite having a lot of longer trips mixed in.
I didn't want to go further than 0% and my busy schedule and ocd about draining oil hot after a highway fun meant this was the time to do it.

Just took my first sample....I haven't done one so far as I always change early (at least by bitog standards).
Just under 5k miles, around 4.5 months and down to 6% oil life according to the olm.
I've always wanted to do one but it will cost me about the same as an oil change so I would prefer to just change early as the engine did have a sludge problem from (or exacerbated by a plugged PCV in the drivers valve cover) which was fixed a couple years ago now.

My main reason for taking the sample at this time is checking for coolant intrusion, as the catch can has started to collect more moisture than normal.

Going to send the sample out tomorrow and hopefully it's not too long before I get results. Fingers crossed, no coolant.

View attachment 216048
Give yourself 3 weeks for a reply at least

I hardly look at any Blackstone test results. Not sure why they are so popular.

They seem to try to push for extended drain intervals.

sent one sample to them, and identical sample to another lab.

The one lab said my sample was due for replacement as additives have dropped out, & Blackstone indicated sample still had usable life.

they didn't indicate fuel dilution either.

I hardly look at any Blackstone test results. Not sure why they are so popular.

They seem to try to push for extended drain intervals.

sent one sample to them, and identical sample to another lab.

The one lab said my sample was due for replacement as additives have dropped out, & Blackstone indicated sample still had usable life.

they didn't indicate fuel dilution either.
They were just the easiest one for me to get here in Canada, and the biggest reason I'm doing it is to check for coolant.
I will try Napa next time since someone mentioned them. I'm basically just concerned about coolant intrusion as if that happens I need to make a decision on replacing head gaskets or prepping my extra 5.3 to swap in place of the 4.8.

I'm not extending oil changes anyway but am just curious at the wear metals. It would be nice to have an accurate fuel number though.

They were just the easiest one for me to get here in Canada, and the biggest reason I'm doing it is to check for coolant.
I will try Napa next time since someone mentioned them. I'm basically just concerned about coolant intrusion as if that happens I need to make a decision on replacing head gaskets or prepping my extra 5.3 to swap in place of the 4.8.

I'm not extending oil changes anyway but am just curious at the wear metals. It would be nice to have an accurate fuel number though.
Is there any drop in the coolant level? If you look two mornings before driving and close outside temps then it should be identical levels.

I am also from Canada. I have used Fluid Life in Edmonton & AGAT labs in Lloydminster AB. Each of these have multiple locations that should be in your area, and likely priced better. I am able to hand deliver my samples to save on shipping charges. My sample were about $30.00 with AGAT

Is there any drop in the coolant level? If you look two mornings before driving and close outside temps then it should be identical levels.
I've topped up the coolant a couple times over the past year. It gets slightly below the level I filled it to after a few months at least.

I've topped up the coolant a couple times over the past year. It gets slightly below the level I filled it to after a few months at least.
Temperature makes a difference. So over the course of a year could mean it was checked at different temperatures.

If there is coolant in the oil will you repair the engine or change the oil more frequently?

If you have done recent work on the engine using gasket sealer that can show up in the oil analysis.

Temperature makes a difference. So over the course of a year could mean it was checked at different temperatures.

If there is coolant in the oil will you repair the engine or change the oil more frequently?

If you have done recent work on the engine using gasket sealer that can show up in the oil analysis.
The only recent work was the oil pressure sending unit back in February. Yeah I'm not really sure because it's such a small amount over a lot of engine hours. If it's leaking a small amount in I will probably get it repaired. I actually have 2 extra 5.3 engines with only 130k on them. So I could steal heads from one of them if needed.
But it might be nice to just swap to a 5.3.

Back