Hyundai Tucson 1.6T Hybrid, engine damaged before first service is due

VWs dsg wears out the clutches eventually and the dual mass flywheel gets hammered on the TDIs and starts rattling
Yeah, that was loooong time ago. That being said, VW was first folksy brand to offer dual clutch at the end pf 90’s. The question is: how other brand, after 25yrs of know-how, can’t learn from other manufacturers mistakes?

Yeah, that was loooong time ago. That being said, VW was first folksy brand to offer dual clutch at the end pf 90’s. The question is: how other brand, after 25yrs of know-how, can’t learn from other manufacturers mistakes?
Yeah the newest TDI i worked on is a 2013 i think. CJAA diesel and the dual mass flywheel was now just 2 flywheels that clattered together.

I heard H/K management has their fingers in the engine manufacturing part of things and make money on the replacement engines as well so there is no incentive from the top to fix the problem. Not sure where I heard that so may be tinfoil hat fodder.

You'd be surprised how cheap some parts are made. If a third party supplies a part that often fails, we get a new part number with new cost, only to be used for warranty repairs. $600 parts for $2.50 or less

Never ever have I got a complete replacement engine from Hyundai. We needed to strip it down, and order the damaged parts piece by piece and assemble (potentially) a whole new engine.

I did once manage to get a complete short block, rather than a casting, seperate crack, rods pistons, bearing, freeze plugs etc....
That sounds like an availability/dealer issue
Long blocks exist
That doesn't mean they're available unfortunately 😔
I watched them put one in a 2020 Elantra

Anecdotally, Theta II seems to get short blocks, Nu and Gamma have increased odds of getting a long block

Hyundai and Kia brands have been like a glorified Walmart brand. The masses buy them out of convenience and because they are plentiful, but quality is questionable.

H/K better course correct soon, or else there will be endless “rise and fall” videos cropping up online.

Long blocks exist

Anecdotally, Theta II seems to get short blocks, Nu and Gamma have increased odds of getting a long block
I should be able to tell if our old heads and intake are on a new block once we get the Sonata back. I'm also curious if the starter will get replaced, as we tried cranking multiple times. My mechanic didn't believe it would be seized until we pulled the serpentine belt off and tried turning it by hand. It would crank a very small amount with a fully charged booster pack, but that was it.

Like ABS? BCM? ECM? What ones are you talking about? The 2000 and 2005 have all that stuff too? Like the touch screen? The Malibu is at 105,000 miles and is LTZ has all that lane departure stuff. That car has not been back to dealer for anything. I am not sure I understand. Remember my job is based off repairing and troubleshooting electronics on Submarines. Like you can clean an inspect your connections, keep the cars parked inside, make sure they are not getting inundated with moisture. I guess I could have worded it better since you can't open all of the modules on any car.
105K, that's a good start.

I dont understand how with todays technology they can build a bad engine.
That is the key statement. Every manufacture builds crap engines nowadays. Technology has nothing to do with it, its all about cheap cheap cheap. The goal is build the item for maybe a manufacturing cost of $200. max and then charge $6,000. to $20,000. or more for it.
Not sure what a complete H/K engine cost is but something like a Mercedes can be into the $50k or more range, oh and still a very low manufacturing cost, all the rest is profit.

Long blocks exist

No, it's a different company we deal with. Hyundai USA vs the importer for belgium

Well they are better than what Ford makes. A car is an appliance. They make great 6 and 8 speeds autos for the Genesis .
The RWD transmissions by Hyundai/Kia seem to be good, they must've learned a thing or two from ZF autos that they used prior to 2012 in the Genesis.
But their FWD transmissions are the majority and are the problem. The Santa Fe automatic, the DCT in Tucson and other models, and so on...

That is the key statement. Every manufacture builds crap engines nowadays. Technology has nothing to do with it, its all about cheap cheap cheap. The goal is build the item for maybe a manufacturing cost of $200. max and then charge $6,000. to $20,000. or more for it.
Not sure what a complete H/K engine cost is but something like a Mercedes can be into the $50k or more range, oh and still a very low manufacturing cost, all the rest is profit.
Engines built for $200?
Yeah, right.

Back