Hyundai Tucson 1.6T Hybrid, engine damaged before first service is due

Engines built for $200?
Yeah, right.
Back in the early 90's an industrial machine manufacture was building a part that cost them $50.00 and retail at the dealer was $2800.00.
Verified proof and very secret at the time. It was all very eye opening.

Back in the early 90's an industrial machine manufacture was building a part that cost them $50.00 and retail at the dealer was $2800.00.
Verified proof and very secret at the time. It was all very eye opening.
Which has what to do with how much it actually costs a vehicle OEM to manufacture a complete engine?

Which has what to do with how much it actually costs a vehicle OEM to manufacture a complete engine?
Its all pretty standard industry wide. If I remember something I came across some years ago correctly someone in the know at chevrolet
in the 60's was building complete small block engines for around $30. Mass production and turning out hundreds of product per day is why the cost of the end product is fairly cheap as far as manufacturing costs. They made plenty on those selling at 300 to 500 in the dealers.

Its all pretty standard industry wide. If I remember something I came across some years ago correctly someone in the know at chevrolet
in the 60's was building complete small block engines for around $30. Mass production and turning out hundreds of product per day is why the cost of the end product is fairly cheap as far as manufacturing costs. They made plenty on those selling at 300 to 500 in the dealers.
I think you may not remember correctly.
Even back then , there is no way that a complete engine could have been built for $30.00 unless it came attached to a lawnmower and was made by Briggs or Tecumseh.

Funny stuff, it wasn't too long ago you could get a gas mower at walmart for under $100. and in the 70's a gas chain saw at Earnst for $65.
To manufacture a small engine in those days is way less than you can comprehend.

Funny stuff, it wasn't too long ago you could get a gas mower at walmart for under $100. and in the 70's a gas chain saw at Earnst for $65.
To manufacture a small engine in those days is way less than you can comprehend.
I think I can comprehend just fine and I recognize your efforts at misdirection.

Even back then , there is no way that a complete engine could have been built for $30.00 unless it came attached to a lawnmower and was made by Briggs or Tecumseh.
All they need is iron and labor, they already have casting sand and machines. And if it takes 30 guys like an hour to make 10 engines (and they get paid $10 an hour) that's $30 in labor cost. So if you get a machine to do a lot of the work or the people to work faster you could absolutely make an SBC for $30. You just need to already have a factory with the tools or make enough engines that the initial cost doesn't effect the overall manufacturing cost very much.

Yeah, there is no allocable cost for the factory and a transfer line after all and there are no cutting, machining and tapping pieces to wear out of tolerance and require regular replacement.
For those who profess to know better, it would be nice if they'd share some of that wisdom in the form of verifiable links and not secret squirrel comments about how they know the facts.

Yeah I don't believe it either. There are many costs to manufacture something, car makers turn a profit but I don't think the margins are that wide.

Back