First store brand oil you used?

First was Harvest King from Rural King before they switched brands to Providence. And then Napa. Recently used STP. All of those went in dads Camry.

I think for me it was 'Sears Spectrum' back in the 80s...it was reputed to be made by Sunoco but wo knows. I'm pretty sure the first oil change I did on my first car (a 1968 Firebird with the terrible OHC 6 cylinder engine) was with Wolf's Head 10w30 and an AC oil filter. I bought that car in 1974 for $500.

Advance Auto 30W in a lawn mower or Supertech 5W30 in my first car. Can’t remember which came first. Before I changed my own oil the local small car shop I’d take my car to had cases of Wolfs Head 10W30 stacked along the wall of the shop.

Last edited:
Canadian Tire's MotoMaster Formula1 back in the days I had a VW, mostly between 2000-2014. Oil was made by Shell I think and was pretty good. Never used store brand oil before or after.

I think for me it was 'Sears Spectrum' back in the 80s...it was reputed to be made by Sunoco but wo knows. I'm pretty sure the first oil change I did on my first car (a 1968 Firebird with the terrible OHC 6 cylinder engine) was with Wolf's Head 10w30 and an AC oil filter. I bought that car in 1974 for $500.

Man, I has forgotten all about Sears Spectrum. I'm sure I used at least a quart or two of that for topping off or whatever.

Cue up, Barbra Streisand - Memory. 😱

Not necessarily a store brand… But it is in the same price range.

Though I have run STP full synthetic motor oil in my Nissan Altima VQ and the lady’s 98 Camry. Which is Autozone’s store brand oil. And I have run Fram full synthetic in the Nissan too which is Advance Auto parts store branded oil too.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 7
Started driving in 1995 with a then 2 year old Plymouth Duster 4 popper 5spd. My dad, for whatever reason, swore by Halvoline branded oil and told me to put 10W30 in it. I would have the oil changed at a Valvoline branded quick lube or buy the Halvoline 10W30 and change it at my buddy’s parents house on a weekend.

Canadian Tire's MotoMaster Formula1 back in the days I had a VW, mostly between 2000-2014. Oil was made by Shell I think and was pretty good. Never used store brand oil before or after.
Since the late 90s I would buy the Canadian Tire on sale or cheap 5w30, often Motomaster oil. I even went down lower quality with Certified and Nugold…

Sears Spectrum 10w40. As someone mentioned, it came in 24 qt. cases and they usually had a big sale on it once a year. In the 70's, I often did my oil changes at my parents' house. So, I "borrowed" some of dad's multi case stock of it now and then. Cardboard quarts with metal ends. Used a puncture spout.

I'm not clear on it any longer, but I think there was some real or imagined problem with some of the Spectrum oil at one time. I sadly remember the bad batch of QS 10w40 in late 1980 or early 1981.

ive never used any store brand oil. over year years ive only used pennzoil, m1, quaker state, & castrol. ive recently made the decision to use only castrol 5w30 in both my vehicles.

Since the late 90s I would buy the Canadian Tire on sale or cheap 5w30, often Motomaster oil. I even went down lower quality with Certified and Nugold…
I'm def not gonna hesitate to use store brand oil given it's a good oil. In fact I have MotoMaster Euro 0w-30 on hands that I'll use later, same oil as Penn Plat Euro LX, also made in Germany.

Back