First store brand oil you used?

Had a 1986 Mazda B2000 and a 1992 Dodge Colt that I changed the oil and filter every 2000 miles.Over kill I know but all during the 90's I always caught Castrol oil for 99 cents a quart.Smokey Yunick in Popular Mechanics wrote it was OK to use any brand oil as long as it has the star on it.So I tried Tech 2000 for an oil change and could notice a drop in gas mileage.Could it have been more internal friction?Anyways I went back to Castrol the next oil change.But quality and technology has changed in thirty years.On a lighter note I was cleaning out my outside building of useful junk to get rid of and found two cases of Castrol 10w30 and found a manufacturing date of Jan. of 1998.Had a good chuckle.Gave it to my son in law cause his work burned oil.

From the early 90s through 2000s we were always broke. I would get OReillys house brand OCI bundle specials cheap. I think the oil was produced by Citgo at the time. No idea who was making the Microgard filters then. I never had an issue with either though.

Back in 1981 the yellow quart of pennzoil 10w-30 for my 81 dodge challenger. after that anything on sale for DIY.just sharing..

I worked at Target in high school. They used to sell store brand oil and store brand oil filters back then. I used plenty of it.

I used American XT transmission fluid in my truck and ones I’d work on for others in high school. It was the house brand for Family Dollar.

Sears and Western Auto. I think I used to stop at Montgomery Ward too.
I remember Sears and Montgomery Ward selling stereo equipment. MCS was Sears and Pilot was Montgomery Ward. MCS I was told was made my Technics. Pilot, I have no idea. MCS had some of those sweet "monster receivers" from the 70s and 80s. Pilot was really low-end looking imo.

Happy Friday BITOGERS 🇺🇸🇨🇦🍻

For me it would have to be Ames brand 10w30 in a 89’ Cutlass Ciera “tech 4” iron block me iron cylinder head engine. Loved that car. After our Ames closed I used some Tech 2000 oil. Lately it’s been some SM Harvest King 5w40, and Traveller 5w20.
Probably Super Tech in the late '90s in my '85 Toyota 4Runner. At that point in time, the vehicle itself had almost 250K on it and had some pretty serious frame and body rust issues, so I wasnt going to put expensive oil in it.

I've used Walmart's Tech2000 before it became SuperTech. They had many automotive products at that time(1980s) that were called Tech2000.
Oil, Brake fluid, ATF, P/S Fluid, AntiFreeze, CarWash Soap and even Liquid/Paste Wax. Probably even more that I am unaware of.

I got my first car over 40 years ago. Started helping my Dad with cars over 50 years ago.

I’ve got idea what oil/filter/HDEO I “first“ used.

If you can answer this question, you’re probably a noob…

Supertech a few years ago. Put it our vehicles a couple of times since then and some neighbors vehicles.

Back