First Oil chnge on new F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading some of the other threads about when to change the oil for thr first time in new cars or trucks. I have about 1000 miles on my new truck and I'm itching to change it. I have read in the owners manual and it says nothing about leaving the oil in until a ceratin mileage. I plan on adding the maintance dose of Auto-Rx along with MC 5W-20 and MC filters.
Thanks

Many think that it's not necessary to change it this early, and others are still old school and do it anyway. I think it's all in what you feel like doing. Changing it early won't hurt it, and if you're itching to do it, then by all means have at it
grin.gif
. Good choice on the MC oil and filter, however I don't see why you'd need to put a maintenance dose of A-RX in a brand new engine..
dunno.gif

Well if the "itch" is greater than throwing away the money that it cost for the oil that's now in the engine... then go ahead & change it.

That oil in there now was not free! It's built-in to your vehicle base price.

The 1,000 mile oil change and service are a thing of the past..evidently.. at least for most makes.
Why not do it anyway and go for a UOA as well..

I think intial fills should be kept for 3k and then switched out. Many intial fills contain break-in type oils to aid in proper break-in. I have never had any issues in vehicles with this method.

I have read in many places, here for example, that some factory fills contain oil high in moly or other AW additives.

I would agree with bighead that I don't think you need a maintenance dose of A-RX in a brand new engine. As far as changing out the oil, as long as you're putting in the correct grade of MC, knock yourself out.

quote:

Originally posted by 97 GTP:
I think intial fills should be kept for 3k and then switched out. Many intial fills contain break-in type oils to aid in proper break-in. I have never had any issues in vehicles with this method.

rolleyes.gif

I've always changed out at 1000 miles and then again at 3000 and every engine has run perfect, lasted a very long time with no problems.

For $10-$15 dollars, good insurance. IMO.

There are no break in oils.
spaz.gif

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

I have read in many places, here for example, that some factory fills contain oil high in moly or other AW additives

I thought the general consensus was the high amount of additives comes from the engine assembly lube.
dunno.gif

I do the first drain at 2K. The next one at 5K total miles and then get into a routine. That makes it easy to remember when to change oil on a 5K interval. If its buggin' you, it won't hurt to change it, but not necessary either.

quote:

Originally posted by Woody:
I thought the general consensus was the high amount of additives comes from the engine assembly lube.
dunno.gif
[/QB]

Honda only; assembly lube is theory; Moly is the additive in question

For what it's worth, the pattern I've fallen into for a new Ford that has a 5,000 mile oild change interval, it to change the first time at 3K, again at 6K, then at 10K, and then at 5K intervals from then on.

That starts off slightly agressive and then gets in line with the factory recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back