Finally Did It - Waited 1 Year For Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: ex_MGB
Like the title says. Went one year on my '97 Maxima SE 5-speed. Just around 10k miles.

How clean was the oil at the end of 10k miles?
cool.gif

My Max's VQ seems to generate dark oil very quickly, but after the intial "burn-in" it doesn't seem to darken up a whole lot more. The oil was pretty dark but not alarmingly so to my eyes.

Originally Posted By: strombony
Non-Congrats to you. If I were a betting man, I'd say any engine's oil should be changed at least 2-3 times per/year. But hey, you are probably going to dump that car off onto someone else. I'm not favored to heavily in regard to my stance on extended drains. I want to see a poll taken of, lets say 1000 engines that were all ran on extended OCI's. Tear them all down and view the insides. Then I want a poll of 1000 engines ran on short OCI's, all torn down and inspected.

You might be right, I beat the snot out of this car. I love to bang on the redline. But I won't be getting rid of it. Just put on new high end shocks all way around, new rotors up front and new pads. New exhaust is next. I bought it new.

Originally Posted By: ex_MGB
Originally Posted By: strombony
Non-Congrats to you. If I were a betting man, I'd say any engine's oil should be changed at least 2-3 times per/year. But hey, you are probably going to dump that car off onto someone else. I'm not favored to heavily in regard to my stance on extended drains. I want to see a poll taken of, lets say 1000 engines that were all ran on extended OCI's. Tear them all down and view the insides. Then I want a poll of 1000 engines ran on short OCI's, all torn down and inspected.

You might be right, I beat the snot out of this car. I love to bang on the redline. But I won't be getting rid of it. Just put on new high end shocks all way around, new rotors up front and new pads. New exhaust is next. I bought it new.

See everyone...!! I think this extended OCI business is a farce. Lookit...you own a piece of equipment that costs thousands and thousands of dollars....Should you not take a little better care of it and change the oil at LEAST 2-3 times a year? Heck, you all know that I do it more often than than that. I think it's pure laziness to not do so and in the lifetime of that car/truck, it is not going to cost you all that much more to do so more often, and MAY even result in less operating expenses due to the better care of that vehicle.

Last edited:
Starting to change my opinion to running shorter ocis. Why should we leave all those products of combustion in there so long? Gonna change out my M1 EP at 5k(10 months),go to PP, and 5K ocis. No need to push the oil towards the breakdown point. 'Course,it's easy for me to say when I only drive 6k per year. So what if I leave $10 on the table per year?

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
I'd bet you would be surprised to find out how many never have their oil changed or change it at most once while they own the car.

A man I used to work with was forced to finally change his oil when the oil filter rusted through.

Originally Posted By: harry j
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
I'd bet you would be surprised to find out how many never have their oil changed or change it at most once while they own the car.

A man I used to work with was forced to finally change his oil when the oil filter rusted through.

And that's ok...there is nothing wrong with doing that. If you don't care about your car that is. But..as the saying goes...buyer beware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back