Finally Did It - Waited 1 Year For Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says. Went one year on my '97 Maxima SE 5-speed. Just around 10k miles. Oil was M1 5W-30 EP, total miles 151k. OEM filter. Went 10 months (8k miles) on my '89 Accord Lxi (total miles 210k) and 10 months (9k miles) on my '98 Frontier 4 cylinder 5-speed (total miles 139k). Had SuperSyn in those.

All these vehicle use about 1/2 qt every 3k miles or so. I keep them topped up. I'm getting lazy. When I joined BITOG I did 3k oil changes.

Are you going to do an UOA on the oil in the Max? It would be interesting to see the results. I have a '99 Maxima SE that gets a diet of about 6k miles on Pennzoil Pltinum per OCI with Mobil 1, Purolator PureOne, and Fram Extended Guard filters.

Last edited:
I changed oil in May of '07, with Amsoil TSO and plan to do the same before the month is out. I will again use TSO but have SSO in stock for 2009.

I have a 21 month oil change going -- on conventional (+ some synthetic blend). … 4300km (2700 miles). Oil was last changed Aug 8, 06.

Going to pull the cam cover and post some pictures in the next week.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Now we need a new thread. "Who's in the ONE YEAR OCI Club".

I'm in it ... +2

I've gone as high as 13 months in my wife's Honda, and I also am responsible for changing the oil in my mom's VW Golf and it's coming up on the two year mark now! (gonna change it the second week of June when I'm on holidays)

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Are you going to do an UOA on the oil in the Max? It would be interesting to see the results. I have a '99 Maxima SE that gets a diet of about 6k miles on Pennzoil Pltinum per OCI with Mobil 1, Purolator PureOne, and Fram Extended Guard filters.

+1, I'd pay upwards of 2 (maybe 3) dollars to see how that Mobile, AL 1 EP held up

I'm a member of the "1 year OCI Club". My 1996 Contour Zetec 4 uses Schaeffer's 7000 Blend 5W-30, SL variety, with a Motorcraft or recently a Napa Gold filter. My 2002 F-150 4.6 V-8 uses Motorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filters. Both average around 5,000+/- per year each. I haven't had any UOA done for these OCI's yet. The oil is never black only darker than new. I rarely go less than 10 miles every time I use these vehicles. Neither vehicle uses any measurable oil during the 5,000 OCI, so none is added.

Whimsey

As I've stated many times before - I did several 1 yr OCIs from (circa) 1994 to 1997 on Amsoil and M1 (88 Mazda 323). (At least one was right at about 25k miles.)

My mother's 98 Taurus has now seen three (maybe four - I can't remember) one year OCIs in a row (chg it each July) - M1, M1 EP, and presently M1 0w40. (last OCI was at about 10k - this year will likely be shorter).

The above said '88 323 (215k miles) is now 9 months into a one year OCI Only 2.4k so far of mostly very short trips - but often driven like a rally car - I try not to break the speed limit, but I often get to the speed limit asap. M1 HM 10w40. It's getting exceedingly black - I haven't seen oil this black since I did the 25k mile OCI on AMSOIL - though it's not THAT black yet. And the car is not "feeling as good" as it did early on in this OCI - yes, likely all in my head. May drop it before August.

One year OCIs are fine - as long as excessive wear is not shown - or excess contamination from fuel or coolant. Without a UOA done, all you are doing is rolling the dice.

Originally Posted By: ex_MGB
Like the title says. Went one year on my '97 Maxima SE 5-speed. Just around 10k miles.

How clean was the oil at the end of 10k miles?
cool.gif

Been doing one year OCIs for years on our '00 Accord now... with Castrol GTX (and 1 qt Syntec), and an old Ford F-250 diesel! Not at exciting as it sounds, though, because that's only about 7K miles for the Honda and 5-6 for the truck. About to go biennial on two farm tractor OCIs and will continue with annual changes on a newer Ford.

If I can manage to wait until July, I will have made it one year in my motor home with RTS 5-40 in a 454 Chevy. Low mileage though, only 4,000 or so. It's still tough to wait.

Man, back in the day, we had service vehicles (telecom service in the DC area) that did 25-35K a year. Sometimes a guy would get fired, quit, whatever, and when we went through the truck, we'd find out the oil was two quarts low, hadn't been changed in a year and a half, two years sometimes. And THOSE engines were sludged. We'd change the oil out a couple of times in a month to see if we could get it to run cleaner, but it would black out to thick filth in a thousand miles. This was the mid-eighties through 2001, so the oils weren't as good and the trucks had carbs instead of F.I., but still and all. Back then, it was best to do a 3K, I guess.

Wonder if M1 was a legitimate 25K/1 year oil back THEN when they used to claim as much? And what did dino cost back then, .80? a buck?

Non-Congrats to you. If I were a betting man, I'd say any engine's oil should be changed at least 2-3 times per/year. But hey, you are probably going to dump that car off onto someone else. I'm not favored to heavily in regard to my stance on extended drains. I want to see a poll taken of, lets say 1000 engines that were all ran on extended OCI's. Tear them all down and view the insides. Then I want a poll of 1000 engines ran on short OCI's, all torn down and inspected.

Originally Posted By: strombony
Non-Congrats to you. If I were a betting man, I'd say any engine's oil should be changed at least 2-3 times per/year. But hey, you are probably going to dump that car off onto someone else.

That's too long, change it once a week if you're cheap, otherwise once a day.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: strombony
Non-Congrats to you. If I were a betting man, I'd say any engine's oil should be changed at least 2-3 times per/year. But hey, you are probably going to dump that car off onto someone else.

That's too long, change it once a week if you're cheap, otherwise once a day.

Whatever...be real. But once a year unless you drive a semi-truck is too long. I'd also bet that there are many in this forum who would agree, but they worry about getting raked over the coals for commenting. So I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back