FINAL UPDATE - Defective Fram Ultra? Missing ADBV leads to engine damage in 2018 Mazda6?

Last month, there were two threads about a defective fram ultra filter for a mazda 2.5L. Due to bickering, both threads were locked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...leads-to-engine-damage-in-2018-mazda6.337263/

Second thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-leads-to-engine-damage-in-2018-mazda6.337855
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of you asked to to be updated once it was resolved so here's the final update from another forum:

"Hey everyone, OP here! Thanks for everyone's insights, comments (whether good or bad, appreciated all of them), criticism, etc. I wanted to give you all an update on what happened.

I went to an independent mechanic to get my engine replaced. Ended up replacing it with a used engine (that comes with a warranty) because Mazda said it could take up to two months to source a new engine. As I sent the pictures previously, the independent mechanic found the seal in my original engine. After I got the car back, I sent the defective filter back to Fram (they had sent me a prepaid shipping label) and other forms to fill out. Alongside, I sent the images of the seal in my engine and the links to this forum and the Bob oil guy forum. Within a week after Fram received the defective oil filter, I had their insurance company contact me and offer me the full payout for replacing my engine and the initial diagnosis costs from Mazda. They were very fast with this, I was able to get a resolution and the whole amount wire transferred to me a week after the filter was received.

All in all, I acknowledge that this was a lucky outcome for me and am very relieved about it. While the car is still under warranty for another 11 months, I will be going to Mazda to do my oil changes going forward."

Attachments

• 1616022250504.jpg
    1616022250504.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 347
Some people will think poorly of Fram as a result of this product failure but I commend them for not only assuming full responsibility and liability but also in responding so rapidly with a solution. Other companies may have dragged a situation like this out until they were forced into taking action by way of litigation or some other means. Nope, with Fram they just take care of it quickly and it appears without much fuss.

Last month, there were two threads about a defective fram ultra filter for a mazda 2.5L. Due to bickering, both threads were locked.

First thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...leads-to-engine-damage-in-2018-mazda6.337263/

Second thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-leads-to-engine-damage-in-2018-mazda6.337855

Many of you asked to to be updated once it was resolved so here's the final update from another forum:

"Hey everyone, OP here! Thanks for everyone's insights, comments (whether good or bad, appreciated all of them), criticism, etc. I wanted to give you all an update on what happened.

I went to an independent mechanic to get my engine replaced. Ended up replacing it with a used engine (that comes with a warranty) because Mazda said it could take up to two months to source a new engine. As I sent the pictures previously, the independent mechanic found the seal in my original engine. After I got the car back, I sent the defective filter back to Fram (they had sent me a prepaid shipping label) and other forms to fill out. Alongside, I sent the images of the seal in my engine and the links to this forum and the Bob oil guy forum. Within a week after Fram received the defective oil filter, I had their insurance company contact me and offer me the full payout for replacing my engine and the initial diagnosis costs from Mazda. They were very fast with this, I was able to get a resolution and the whole amount wire transferred to me a week after the filter was received.

All in all, I acknowledge that this was a lucky outcome for me and am very relieved about it. While the car is still under warranty for another 11 months, I will be going to Mazda to do my oil changes going forward."
I’m glad Fram took care of you. Don’t you ever try to do your oil changes again . and use OEM parts for now on 😎

FYI for the readers, the OP "camloopy" on that other chat board is a woman and she doesn't do her own oil & filter changes.

Last edited:
"Anything manmade" can mess up. Thumbs up to FRAM for fixing this. All the pictures and paperwork for sure also helped in this mess. I will still run FRAM Ultras.

Great great point hp....

I heard a electric/mechanical iv pain pump fail at the hospital I worked at.... The PCA machine had a whole iv bag of Dilaudid in it... Pump experienced a massive failure... Dumped that entire bag into a post-op patient. Killed that person instantly.

They emptied the ENTIRE hospital of narcan to bring that person back. Thank goodness they were able to get the patient back.

New to this forum... Does anyone know how the adbv got pushed into the engine..... Did the leaf spring lose tension?
Obviously the guts had to be loose enough for the delta-p to push the ADBV out of position and inward to be swept into the engine.

No matter what brand of oil filter anyone uses, they should inspect it before installing it, and that includes a good shake to ensure the guts are not loose. This could happen with any oil filter if the guts become loose.

Obviously the guts had to be loose enough for the delta-p to push the ADBV out of position and inward to be swept into the engine.

No matter what brand of oil filter anyone uses, they should inspect it before installing it, and that includes a good shake to ensure the guts are not loose. This could happen with any oil filter if the guts become loose.
No, the real solution is to install an aftermarket ADBV filter that catches loose ADB valves. Much easier than shaking the filter. But common sense would also mean one should use another filter to catch the ADBV filter if it also fails. ;)

Back