Filter life regarding mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like your impressions about how many miles a given filter is good for. My car uses the canister types. IMHO for my driving environment it would go like this, and some of these filters will do for two oil change cycles, and oversized filters might last a little longer in some circumstances:

5000 to 6000 miles - Basic filters from STP or Fram, such as the Orange Can; also Supertechs.
7500 miles - Fram Tough Guard.
8000 miles - Wix, Napa; standard filters.
15000 miles - Fram Extended Guard
7500 miles, possibly 10000 - Toyota original equipment filters.
8000 miles - Bosch premiums
15000 miles - the top filters from Bosch, Mobil, Royal Purple.
? - Amsoil filters and some other high-end lines.

What is your take on the filters you know of?

Most Mann/Mahle filters are rated for 30k km (18K miles). Seeing mine after 10K miles, it did look like it could have gone another 10K miles.

I agree. The cartridge oil filter of my E430 after 12-13k miles looked like it could go another 12k miles, there was no debris on the filter. I kept the used filter on since last oil change for some more miles, I'll check it every 3-4 months.

The canister oil filter is difficult to check the condition, but I had been using spin on oil filters of my LS400 for 1 year or 12-14k miles. They were Motocraft, Bosch Premium, Proline and Purolator Pure 1.

There are two considerations--loading with crud, unlikely with clean modern engines. And, heat deterioration of the rubber parts, unlikely with higher cost silicone rubber, more likely with cheaper nitrile. This isn't a mileage thing, it is an hours thing. The rubber will deteriorate as fast with an hour of hot rush hour creep as with 70 mph travel.

36.gif

You have to change those things?

Seriously, I like your chart.
Another consideration is that high efficiency oil filters are probably best for shorter runs, regardless of toughness of construction, if all other things are equal. If the fine pores in the media plug up from a long exposure to dirty oil, they will go into bypass mode too often.

Lower efficiency filters that run longer, if they are sufficiently constructed, will have a better chance of loading up with dirt and becoming more efficient at catching it as time goes by. This would increase the average dirt catching of the filter (to a point) that may not catch much for a while.

I never understand the recommendations for saying a porous, low efficiency filter is OK to run for, say, 3-5K miles, and I guess I go against the grain of most BITOGERs on this issue.

I like the idea of your chart. I dont know how the tough guard is any better than an OCOD. Just has that TRT goo ball in it. Im shocked to not see a purolator in your chart. Great idea, I wish there was a sticky for something like this on this forum.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I like the idea of your chart. I dont know how the tough guard is any better than an OCOD. Just has that TRT goo ball in it. Im shocked to not see a purolator in your chart. Great idea, I wish there was a sticky for something like this on this forum.

Tough Guard is supposed to have more synthetic in the media and more of it and a silicone ADBV. The High Mileage is an OCOD + goo.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Not against my grain, River Rat!

I'm glad someone agrees.
I think it's interesting that the OEM VW oil filters I have used (Mann, Germany I think) were for 30K kilometers, and had a pretty coarse media and high bypass setting compared to most "North American" filters. I think they are onto something there. The media should become more efficient as the oil gets dirtier during the long recommended life.
There is an SAE paper that warns against changing air filters too often before they have a chance to become properly efficient, and I think the same principle applies here.
But for my 5K oil changes, I want media that is pretty efficient to begin with, and don't need it built like a tank.

Im shocked to not see a purolator in your chart. Great idea, I wish there was a sticky for something like this on this forum.

I must admit I overlooked the Purolator. I posted about the filters I am most familiar with. Also, I would like to see you guys tell me your opinions as to how long Purolator lines, KN, and others will last. I only have one car so it will take years before I can use other lines.

Around here, people I know seem to go for either the cheapest filter possible (think OCOD or STP) or the the top end of the Mobil line. Just the extremes. LOL.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Not against my grain, River Rat!

I'm glad someone agrees.
I think it's interesting that the OEM VW oil filters I have used (Mann, Germany I think) were for 30K kilometers, and had a pretty coarse media and high bypass setting compared to most "North American" filters. I think they are onto something there. The media should become more efficient as the oil gets dirtier during the long recommended life.
There is an SAE paper that warns against changing air filters too often before they have a chance to become properly efficient, and I think the same principle applies here.
But for my 5K oil changes, I want media that is pretty efficient to begin with, and don't need it built like a tank.

Guess this would also be in line with Honda's apparently less efficient filter being left in place for 2 OCIs.

I think the Tough Guard will do 7500. It is reasonably robust. There is one on the car right now. I have a semi-syntheitic blend and it should do fine. I think it is rather better than the OCOD.

I do not like their High Mileage filter at all, and would think even the OCOD is a better deal. I think the gel additives are too gimmicky. The more gimmicks, the greater chance of something going wrong. Also the H.M. is so close in price to the Extended Guard, which is a high end filter, you might as well buy the latter.

The Extended Guard is actually a real good filter and available for about $8.97 at my local Walmart I found. There are good rebate deals from Mobil, Bosch, etc. now and then, but it is nice to not have to monkey around for a rebate and get a cheaper high end filter.

Originally Posted By: cp3

Tough Guard is supposed to have more synthetic in the media and more of it and a silicone ADBV. The High Mileage is an OCOD + goo.
Oh ya... I dont pay much attention to Frams.

Guess this would also be in line with Honda's apparently less efficient filter being left in place for 2 OCIs.

Good point. Funny the Toyota OEM I used to use says change it every time, but it is probably pretty similar to the Honda as far as filtration, I think.
21.gif

I got TGs to go in for the next OC on both cars
shocked2.gif

They should be fine. I wouldn't bother returning them, but in the long run, I think you can do better for the money. (I'm not a Fram fan, but not scared of them.)

Originally Posted By: river_rat
[
I got TGs to go in for the next OC on both cars
shocked2.gif

They should be fine. I wouldn't bother returning them, but in the long run, I think you can do better for the money. (I'm not a Fram fan, but not scared of them.)

Oh no doubt they'll be fine. In fact the TG9018 should be better than average if it has the better media than the CH9018 as they claim. I've been meaning to try a TG on the G6 for a while and got excited when I found the TG cartridge, had never seen one here before, so I got them both. Funny thing is I could have got a Baldwin for both cars for the price of the TG9018 alone. Probably a one time thing and back to Wix or Baldwins after these.

I use Powerflo filters for 12500 miles and analysis come back saying oil is good for more miles. My drive is one mile local, 28 miles interstate, then one mile local, at the end of the work day, reverse route.

Not too bad for a dollar fifty filter imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back